New Capture Creation Questions

LN-MLB

I've been trying to work on a capture lately, and I've run into a couple of things.

1) Is there no longer a way to edit or move a prop once it has been placed?  I know I'm not losing my mind (or maybe I am), but I remember before the latest creator update, there was an option to move or edit the prop once it was on the ground or surface.  That seems to be gone now.  Unless I am missing something, it seems that you are forced to delete the prop and must place a new one instead.  I wouldn't have an issue with that, but it seems to eat up the Model Memory...

2) That is my next concern--Model Memory Limit.  I've googled through articles about this, and one person posted a method on the order and how to place everything in a capture where it doesn't eat through the model memory so quickly.  I tried it last night, but I'm still seeing huge amounts of model memory being used and do not seem to have the ability to restore it--even after deleting certain things in the capture.

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks! :)

Edited by LN-MLB

Skorpion covered the editing prop issue. When it is ticked, you can just delete and re place where you want since the cursor doesn't move like it used to so in a way it's better for fine adjustments.

I decided to edit an existing capture and now I got the model memory issues. I've never had any issues before and the bar hardly ever filled up, yet without changing anything, it is suddenly full.

I had only 3 props placed and couldn't place more

All the weapons are down

All the actors have been placed which seems to take up a lot of the memory. I do have different settings for a lot of them.

All the vehicles are also placed down and different vehicles take up different amounts of memory. For example, I wanted to place the insurgent pick up, but couldn't because I was out of memory. It would let me place the normal insurgent though, and however many of them I had left.

This tells me that each different setting for actors and vehicle types, different weapons and props etc all hold a set value which takes up model memory.

Once I changed the actors to the same settings and deleted a different type of vehicle that I didn't need, it freed up enough space for me to add the insurgent pickup.

So the basic conclusion on this, at least what I think worked for me, is to not have too much variety. Multiple items of the same thing don't seem to affect it too much.

I assume it's a bug that rockstar will hopefully fix soon, unless the game can't process all that information anymore for some reason (which I doubt since it seemed to before).

Edited by ScottyB
  • Like 1

scottyb1988.jpg

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

The Model Memory thing is definitely strange though.  I honestly don't know if they will fix it--there have apparently always been issues with it, but based on what I have seen, what happened with your capture (Scotty), and from what I have heard and read from others, there are definitely more issues apparent.

According to one source, this is the best method for placement when initially making the capture:

METHOD: ORDER OF PLACEMENT

When placing your props, vehicles, actors and so on there is a order i figured out in which you must place the bulk of your objects to ensure memory model dosnt fill up quick and so that you can go back and edit. If you were to do it in any other order you cant then go back and delete actors, add actors and so on. You can if you use this order of placement and follow the below guideline.

1. Props/Dynamic Props

2. Vehicles

3. Actors

4. Weapons -  *important must be last*

So above is the order in which you must stick to for example place all the props you want to use down, then place your vehicles followed by your actors and finishing with your weapons.

Using lots of different weapons really does add to the memory model that's why they must be placed last.

Source: http://gtaforums.com/topic/793957-memory-model-limit-issue-capture-creator/

I think you're right though, Scotty--too much variety in this case seems to be the primary factor.  It's mentioned in that post as well.

Edited by LN-MLB
  • Like 1

That seems to line up with what I noticed. Placing them in that order would mean you get the most down before the memory runs out. If you delete it in reverse, you should gain back a bit more memory which will allow you to re do them how you want. Such a shame that captures are still broken.

• Like 1

scottyb1988.jpg