The Square Ring

High speed track starting at Legion Square and running through sections of Rockford Hills & Little Seoul.

Best suited to Super Cars, but Sports, Muscle, Motorcycles, Sports Classics and surprisingly Compacts work well too.  

All other classes are unlocked, but they will feel quite slow on this track.

Tested and refined with the help from fellow crew members.  :)

CBeAsmP.png

RSC Link - http://socialclub.rockstargames.com/games/gtav/jobs/job/t_-UZmFQD0OU0aYLvVHksQ

Default settings.

• Super Cars
  • 3 Laps
  • Noon - Clear
  • Non-contact
  • Customs on

A quick lap can be completed in just under 1:40

A three lap race will last approx 5:00 to 5:30

Edited by no_snacks

• 4 weeks later...

To be Featured in Thursday Night Thunder's Not So Cool Coupes Racing Event on Sept 24.

Cheers, Dodge.

The slower "Not So Cool Coupe's" may feel a little slow (even boring) on this track.

If you want to swap it out for a different track, feel free to do so.  ;)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Massive request, could you send this one through a cunning stunts makeover? :D

Get rid of the concrete barriers, perhaps smooth out a corner or two (mostly that top double left hander ;), make it really pretty, add a pit stop, you know the drill... ;)

I know it's a lot to ask, especially if you're busy with making completely new tracks, but it's a really good route and I know you could make it into an awesome new gen track.

Massive thanks in advance mate! :D

• Like 2

No problem, @zmurko.  I was in the initial stages of giving it an update anyway. Was just holding off until this weeks Crew Challenge was finished before messing with it. :)

The corners you're talking about will be alot smoother with some stunt tracks partly buried, and possibly even a slight banking too.  Most of the track will be pretty straight forward to update, but there's a couple corners that are going to be quite tricky and painful to do.

Out of my races, it's my favourite one to drive fast on.  I'm looking forward to seeing the update myself.  I'll try to make sure I don't make it too sterile.  Nothing better than feeling the tyres on a proper road surface rather than a smooth stunt track.

• Like 1

Completely submerging the track pieces so only the barriers remain is fine. Anything to get rid of those damn white striped barriers. Think I might start a hate campaign to get them removed from the game. 

• Like 1

It's not as simple as that though, @Squirrel.  My first type of track using those sunken track pieces felt very, very claustrophobic.  It's a fine line between dropping lots of new stunt props just because you can, or using them appropriately in the right places.  Getting that balance right is one of the hardest parts to get right.

Also, some of the new props come with their own set of problems.  They seem to be a lot more glitchy than the old ones and your car clips through them and still hits the obstacle behind it, which is even more frustrating than hitting those red and white barriers in the first place. :lol:

I've been studying a few race creators and taking note of what they're doing.  Some of their earlier tracks may have looked good, but were a bit awkward to race/drive on.  You can see the improvements with every new track they make, as they become more familiar with what works and what doesn't.

Just wish we had a better apex prop to use.  The angled stunt tubes and the round landing zones/targets are ok, but they don't always work either.  We should be getting some new stunt pieces with one of the next DLCs, so hopefully there'll be something better for us to use.  An extra 50 prop limit wouldn't go astray either, although I'm pretty sure we'll never be satisfied though. :D

• Like 1

You would think they have the seen the most common uses of props and provided the ideal props to use to counter the issues. But then again its Rockstar

• 3 weeks later...

Tried the updated version, it is a lot faster that's for sure, think all my flying laps were in 1:33s and they werent even nearly as clean as the crew challenge run when I got a really low 1:37.

I have mixed feelings about it to be honest, it is perhaps too easy now and couple of places feel a little too tight/claustrophobic. I like that you have left almost all curb boosts in though, so I could pretty much drive the same lines. :lol:

There is an obstruction on one of the wide  sections (CP 21-22), where I used to move to the far right side pretty soon after the turn, I think there's a start gate from the grid prop there now, nearly caught me by surprise.

But it's a very nice flowing track on its own, perhaps I'm comparing it to the original too much.

• Like 1

Thanks, @zmurko.

Yeah, it's hard to compare a new/updated track to the original.  I do the same thing - happy that it's different, but still want it to be the same too. :D

I'll have another look at that start gate prop at CP 21-22.  It's there to stop players going on top of another prop that comes out of the ground on the far right.  I can definitely use something else, as it doesn't quite feel right the way it is at the moment.

The quicker lap times will be partly because the tricky turn 3, 4 and 5 have been smoothed out and straightened a little, but I'd say most of the time gained will be because you don't go all the way to the hairpin anymore.  You now do that double left that would cut off a few seconds.

I tried to keep the track surface untouched in places that didn't need altering, so the rest of the track should still drive and feel relatively the same, but it's hard to get that balance just right.

Clever usage of the Stunt Landing Zone prop to make barriers. :)

On 3/11/2017 at 6:27 AM, no_snacks said:

It's a fine line between dropping lots of new stunt props just because you can, or using them appropriately in the right places.  Getting that balance right is one of the hardest parts to get right.

Well said. Practice makes perfect. Keep at it Snacks, great stuff so far.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, kernalhogan said:

Clever usage of the Stunt Landing Zone prop to make barriers. :)

Well said. Practice makes perfect. Keep at it Snacks, great stuff so far.

Cheers, Kernal.

That landing zone prop is fucking awesome. :D

It looks like a concrete wall but doesn't have the sharp edges that the track pieces have when you turn them on their side as a barrier.

You've just got to rotate it 123.9 degrees and use the sloping bit as the barrier face.  It leaves a nice little slop on the back and also has tapered ends so there's no sharp, sudden stop.

It's also great to use as a high wall.  It can actually look like a proper concrete retaining wall when used in conjunction with other props.  There's been a few races where I've stopped and did a double take on the the props - took me a minute to work out what was environment and what was added from the creator.  There are some very good creators out there - I just copy/steal their ideas. :lol:

Edited by no_snacks
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, zmurko said:

Great, so when can we expect a big ass dam in one of your tracks. :lol:

Reveal hidden contents

Haha.  Very nice.

I never have enough props left over to create something like that.  Maybe I use too many on the actual track and barriers.

I'll try to find another little dam/hydro-plant on the Zancudo River.  It had bubbling water running through it.  Wasn't anywhere near the size of the one in your video, but still looked pretty cool.

Having said that, there have been some great man made environments made using the props, but more often than not the actual track sucks because they used 90% of their props in the set pieces.  :lol: