How many hours do you sleep?

ScottyB

I wear a Fit Bit all day long, including when I sleep.  Since it tracks how many hours I am asleep/awake/tossing and turning/etc... I average about 7 hours on the weekdays and 6 on the weekends.  I value my sleep too much to let this, or any other game, effect it.

And she never will.  I don't know how old she is, but my daughter turns 6 tomorrow and she wakes up around 6-6:30am every day... including weekends.

my daughter is 6 and a half and since school has been out she has been up 1 time before 930am we r usually waking her at 10:30 11:00 am to get her up. just thought i would rub that in a little. now if only i could sleep til then to it would be great my wife can but im usally up by 7:30 8.

it also doesnt help that my daughter doesnt go to bed til after 11pm she goes in her room at 9 but plays in there doing whatever until late

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jaggy

• ScottyB

• zztop911

• Dead-Demon

my daughter is 6 and a half and since school has been out she has been up 1 time before 930am we r usually waking her at 10:30 11:00 am to get her up. just thought i would rub that in a little. now if only i could sleep til then to it would be great my wife can but im usally up by 7:30 8.

it also doesnt help that my daughter doesnt go to bed til after 11pm she goes in her room at 9 but plays in there doing whatever until late

You need to teach my daughter how to sleep in then.  :lol:

We send her to bed at 8pm on school night's and 8:30pm on the weekends.  Not sure when she falls asleep.  But she's out of her room the second the sun is out.  It's very rare that we have to go in her room to wake her up.  Usually when that happens, it's because she's coming down with a bug of some sort.

3 to 5 hours most nights, but will occasionally sleep for 12+ hours if I don't need to get up for work or a PL. 

Ever since I was a little kid, I've had a mild case of DSPD (Delayed Sleep Phase Disorder).  My body runs on a 25 to 26 hour cycle, so I rarely feel tired at the correct time.  

If I've been active with sport or physical work for a few days, I'll generally fall back into a regular 6 hour sleep pattern, but as soon as I become inactive, I go back to the 3 to 5 hour cycle.

After a while It does have an affect on your body, mind & mood, but after one of those awesome 12+ hour sleeps, everything is ok again.  :)

• Like 1

I don't want to sound like your mother's, but be careful guys.  Poor sleep habits, diets, long/screwy work schedules, etc can take a toll on your body.   :(

(Not saying you guys have poor diets, but like, it's just bad and I'm just looking out for everyone.)

• Like 1

I don't want to sound like your mother's, but be careful guys.  Poor sleep habits, diets, long/screwy work schedules, etc can take a toll on your body.   :(

(Not saying you guys have poor diets, but like, it's just bad and I'm just looking out for everyone.)

Ok Mom.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I only grow in living soil!
Because Fat Buds Matter!

You need to teach my daughter how to sleep in then.  :lol:

We send her to bed at 8pm on school night's and 8:30pm on the weekends.  Not sure when she falls asleep.  But she's out of her room the second the sun is out.  It's very rare that we have to go in her room to wake her up.  Usually when that happens, it's because she's coming down with a bug of some sort.

Just wait until they are teenagers and want to sleep 12 + hours. Make sure you wake them up early as they did to you for so many years :P that must have been why my parents always wanted me awake early :P

Thanks mummy jag :P

3 to 5 hours most nights, but will occasionally sleep for 12+ hours if I don't need to get up for work or a PL. 

Ever since I was a little kid, I've had a mild case of DSPD (Delayed Sleep Phase Disorder).  My body runs on a 25 to 26 hour cycle, so I rarely feel tired at the correct time.  

If I've been active with sport or physical work for a few days, I'll generally fall back into a regular 6 hour sleep pattern, but as soon as I become inactive, I go back to the 3 to 5 hour cycle.

After a while It does have an affect on your body, mind & mood, but after one of those awesome 12+ hour sleeps, everything is ok again.  :)

There was an article I read semi recently that was about that. It was titled some thing along the lines of hour our sleep cycles are better suited to Mars which has I think a 25 hour day.

I guess it becomes a problem when it affects your life. Most people can adapt to a 24 hour cycle and routine is the key. When I had no work for a while, I had no reason to get up so I slept until whenever. This made me want to stay up all night, which I frequently started doing because I wasn't tired and I p developed a cycle where I would sleep for 10+ hours and stay awake until I was tired and i just kept staying up later and later. When I did have work I virtually had insomnia because I just couldn't get back into routine and sleep when I need to so it was pretty messy for a while.

I'm not sure whether I'm a morning or night person. I would tend to say I'm more of a night person, as I enjoy the night much more and I hate getting up in the morning as its always a struggle unless I've had 10 hours sleep. When I do finally get up, after about 10-15 mins I'm fully awake and alert and raring to go on most occasions. If I do have things to do, I seem to be far more productive in the morning, rushing to get things done so I can enjoy the afternoon and night doing whatever I want. My GF is usually groggy for ages and hardly gets anything done in the morning until about midday, which made me question what I actually am.

Either way it's a bit of a dilemma, and I can't have it all :( maybe I should learn how to hibernate. Hmm, that sounds like a lot of fun actually :P

• Like 1

scottyb1988.jpg

You need to teach my daughter how to sleep in then.   :lol:

yeah my daughters bedtime on school nights was 730 and later on weekends usually 9 but as i said she stays awake in her room for hours usually she has a tv and on school night she would get 2 shows then tv off but she would still stay up til usually 10. now with it being summer we send her in at 9 but she watches tv for awhile then plays on her phone and who knows what else as long as she isnt coming out and bothering me i let her go :D. she always was a good sleeper though even as a baby slept thru the night very early on and generally slept in.

Sorry guys!  I just love you all.  :lol:

yeah my daughters bedtime on school nights was 730 and later on weekends usually 9 but as i said she stays awake in her room for hours usually she has a tv and on school night she would get 2 shows then tv off but she would still stay up til usually 10. now with it being summer we send her in at 9 but she watches tv for awhile then plays on her phone and who knows what else as long as she isnt coming out and bothering me i let her go :D. she always was a good sleeper though even as a baby slept thru the night very early on and generally slept in.

You're so lucky.  Our daughter was a terrible sleeper as a baby/toddler too.  So she's probably just one of those people who can function just fine on very little sleep.

• Like 1

I sleep as many hours as I can. At least 7-8, much more happier with 8-9. Used to be able to sleep for 10-11 easy.

It all depends on how active I am, in what kind of shape I'm in (when I used to cycle daily and was fit, 6.5-7h of deep sleep was more than sufficient for example), and if there's a good enough reason to wake up.

But same as no_snacks and Scotty mentioned, I just don't think I'm made for a 24h cycle. I'd prefer something like 9-10h of sleep and then be awake for the next 18h or so.

Can't get to bed usually (stay up too late, afraid to call it a day) and can't get out of bed. Once I'm up, I'm fine for next 16h+ no matter how many I've slept for.

• Like 2

Most days I sleep for about 7-9 hrs. Occasionally, when really tired, I can sleep up to 10-11 hrs. I can also get through a day with a minimum of 3 hrs of sleep (which I've done often this month), but no less than that and if necessary, I tend to take a 10-20 minute nap during the day to recharge. I also almost never go to bed before 11pm and while I stay up late all the time, often till past midnight, I consider myself a morning person, because I feel really fresh and energetic whenever I wake up at 6am.

Sleep is always sweetest when you're really tired or been physically very active during the day. I hate sleep when I've been inactive, it'll take hours to fall asleep and I'll probably wake up several times during the night and then get up late in the morning or in the afternoon and feel like a train wreck. Being a gamer hasn't helped me in that respect.

• Like 2

In winter time i usually get about 6 to 7 hours,in the summer months i like to make the most of the weather and get about 5 hours :D

All I know is that I'm just not made for the daily 9-5 schedule, eventhough I have to deal with one ....

On average I need about 8 hours of sleep, but it really depends. Some periods I sleep like a rock for 10 hours straight every single night and then there's periods where I barely sleep 4 hours on end. Overall I have a really hard time going to bed early (before midnight is early in my book) and I have an even harder time getting up. Guess it's fair to say I'm more of an evening/night person and that I have a notoriously bad morning temper =)

gallery_510_31_23135.jpg

• 8 months later...

I forgot about this topic, but not much has changed since my original post.  In fact, lately, I've only been getting about 2 1/2 - 3 hours of sleep every night--sometimes no more than two hours total.  I don't think I slept anymore than nine hours for Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday combined.  I did manage to sleep when I got off from work yesterday, but it was only for about five hours.  What I do though is take about a 15-20 minute nap at work every day and a few 30-45 minute naps here and there after work if time permits.

I know it's probably going to catch up with me eventually, but I've managed to survive on as little sleep as possible since I was a kid.  I like sleep, but if I do it too often, I feel like I'm wasting time that could be spent doing other things that I enjoy.  One thing is for certain though--you'll notice that I struggle with certain elements of the game if I am really tired. :P

• Like 1

My sleep patterns are so damn screwed up! I know part of it was from being the sole caretaker for my Mom for such a long time. I try to get on a schedule, but most times it doesn't work. In the past I could take a sleeping aide for a couple of nights to reset my clock, but that doesn't work anymore. Maybe when I get moved and start a long term project, I can work my azz off so I'll be more than ready to go to bed and actually sleep for more than three hours at a time.

I only grow in living soil!
Because Fat Buds Matter!

21 minutes ago, LN-MLB said:

I forgot about this topic, but not much has changed since my original post.  In fact, lately, I've only been getting about 2 1/2 - 3 hours of sleep every night--sometimes no more than two hours total.  I don't think I slept anymore than nine hours for Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday combined.  I did manage to sleep when I got off from work yesterday, but it was only for about five hours.  What I do though is take about a 15-20 minute nap at work every day and a few 30-45 minute naps here and there after work if time permits.

I know it's probably going to catch up with me eventually, but I've managed to survive on as little sleep as possible since I was a kid.  I like sleep, but if I do it too often, I feel like I'm wasting time that could be spent doing other things that I enjoy.  One thing is for certain though--you'll notice that I struggle with certain elements of the game if I am really tired. :P

If that happened to me I think I started losing my mind and looked like a zombie so you're lucky xD

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, zztop911 said:

My sleep patterns are so damn screwed up! I know part of it was from being the sole caretaker for my Mom for such a long time. I try to get on a schedule, but most times it doesn't work. In the past I could take a sleeping aide for a couple of nights to reset my clock, but that doesn't work anymore. Maybe when I get moved and start a long term project, I can work my azz off so I'll be more than ready to go to bed and actually sleep for more than three hours at a time.

I don't know if I'm right but I think if you sleep a little more every day like 10 or 20min you will get used to it and start sleeping longer, at least that is what happen if i sleep so little cause if I fall asleep at 5 or 6 am I only wake up at 12 or 13 pm

• 4 years later...

Is it healthy to stay up until your brain literally says...”okay, I’m shutting things down, slappy” ?

Most nights I’m forced to “close shop” instead of the “let me pull the shades down and slowly close up.” it hasn’t seemed to affect me negatively as far as I know but is it healthy? 

I’m going back to sleep as my early AM sleep was disrupted...anyways when I do some research later, I’ll post my findings...

Edited by Con

I've always been a "night owl" but these days I don't sleep much at all. Lucky if I can get 5 hours straight. Even though I keep one set, I don't really need an alarm clock anymore. Even on the weekends I'm awake before 7AM.

My sleeping habits have changed quite a bit since I last posted here. Nowadays my body needs 6 hours of sleep for 100% efficiency - no more, no less. The minimum I need to function decently is 3-4 hrs and I rarely need any short naps during the day anymore. Only thing that hasn't changed is me feeling most fresh when I wake up at 6am.

On 5/17/2020 at 3:56 PM, Con said:

Is it healthy to stay up until your brain literally says...”okay, I’m shutting things down, slappy” ?

Most nights I’m forced to “close shop” instead of the “let me pull the shades down and slowly close up.” it hasn’t seemed to affect me negatively as far as I know but is it healthy? 

I’m going back to sleep as my early AM sleep was disrupted...anyways when I do some research later, I’ll post my findings...

From what I've learned, it's not exactly a problem health-wise, but it suggests that one might feel like they don't have much control over WHEN they sleep and that could be potentially frustrating. Otherwise, if it doesn't interrupt your life in any way, it shouldn't be a problem at all.

• Like 1