Changing PSN ID

If you could change your PSN ID, even for a small fee, would you want to do it? Do you think we will ever get the opportunity to do so like people on Xbox can?

GTAO was my first online game and when I made the PSN account, it was only to access RSC for the stupid gta app as I didn't have a big data limit and never gamed online at the time.

By the time I decided that I wanted to change it, I was a fairly high level and didn't want to reset it all. I really wish that I could change the online ID to something a bit more unique and be able to build an "online profile" that I can use for everything online without losing all my trophies and GTAO stats.

It's a bit of a cop out as to why Sony won't allow us to change. It's to prevent people from apparently griefing people, then changing their names and doing it some more. Surely even if you changed your name you could still be tracked through your former ID, and even if you can't, wouldn't most people start a completely new account anyway? That's what the modders do in GTAO, they get banned and then make a new account and get everything back they had so it stops no one.

• Like 1

scottyb1988.jpg

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ScottyB

• LN-MLB

• Xyon14

• Skorpion

Jesse & I were talking about this yesterday. I would love to change mine, but no idea what I would change it to.. There's no way I would start over again.

• Like 4

I'm glad PSN gamers can't edit their ID.

I have 300 friends, some people have more, I can imagine most of those would be changing names as often as possible and then I'd have no idea who each person is.

Mine was easy to pick, no thinking required... At the time I was doing a lot of music and promo work and my name was getting around fast. I used to be all of the first half page of Google results and now I'm not because I deactivated and deleted quite a lot of stuff and also haven't released anything in my own name for nearly 2 years.

I get called by my PSN ID almost every day, I was already kinda known by it, some think it's actually my real name and the Mrs prefers it to my real name  :lol:.

Wherever I go, I like to try to build some kinda reputation, or at least be remembered for one thing, an online ID that never changes helps that become possible.

Example: 1 look at pCars lap time leaderboard shows lots of names that I know and respect, those people obviously picked up that reputation from being very good.

Edited by DavidCore89
  • Like 3

Nah.  I love my current PSN name.  I do understand why some people may want to change theirs though.  If Sony allowed it, they should make people pay a $10 fee and only allow changes every 60 or 90 days.

• Like 2

They should do same as the gta transfer from ps3 to ps4 a 1 off thing. would like to change mine to fastcartwright25

I at one time wanted to change it since I don't own the car it's referring to anymore, but now I'd just leave it alone as its how everyone knows me and when I thought of changing it was before I was a member of the crew. Probably would cause confusion until everyone got used to the change anyway.

• Like 1

Yes, I didn't put much original thought into my name and I think it sometimes confuses people on what to call me because it is all consonants.  When I made the ID, I had never participated in online gaming, so I had no idea I would ever be in an environment where individuals would be saying my name.

I'd have rather chosen something more creative like UnicornMeatSauce, but I guess I'm not that worried about it and I really have no desire to ever start over.  That's just too much effort and I haven't the time.

If anything, I would omit the "MLB" from my name.  Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy baseball, but I'd rather be called "LN", which has been common enough throughout my life due to how most people can't spell or pronounce my last name. :P

• Like 4

I wouldn't change mine, I am known as JustHatched or Hatch in many areas on and offline. I have another ID for some websites JayCeeS (my initials are JCS).

• Like 2

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

:default_sign0081:

I wouldnt change mine as its my ID for anything online. I would like to take the "-AH" out, but its there because "Skorpion" is already taken.

I think a fee and a limit of 3 changes with a 90 day cooldown would be good, because quick clearly people change their mind. Especially when many PSN IDs are related to interests, which do change and my no longer be relevant or appropriate.

• Like 1

I'd make a minor change to mine if given the opportunity, but the root would still remain.

• Like 1

: FIRE :

"If you ride like lightning, you're gonna crash like thunder." - The Place Between The Pines

I'd change mine if Sony provided that option; to what I'm not sure.....X Box had a ID generator that would put two random words together as suggestions; it would very occasionally come up with a good ID... but you could always tell which people used it; Here's a few it came up with: DegradingChip, CreativeSaucer, WheeziestPrawn & FlukiestGibbon  :D

• Like 1

Garbology101.png

I'm glad PSN gamers can't edit their ID.

I have 300 friends, some people have more, I can imagine most of those would be changing names as often as possible and then I'd have no idea who each person is.

Mine was easy to pick, no thinking required... At the time I was doing a lot of music and promo work and my name was getting around fast. I used to be all of the first half page of Google results and now I'm not because I deactivated and deleted quite a lot of stuff and also haven't released anything in my own name for nearly 2 years.

I get called by my PSN ID almost every day, I was already kinda known by it, some think it's actually my real name and the Mrs prefers it to my real name  :lol:.

Wherever I go, I like to try to build some kinda reputation, or at least be remembered for one thing, an online ID that never changes helps that become possible.

Example: 1 look at pCars lap time leaderboard shows lots of names that I know and respect, those people obviously picked up that reputation from being very good.

You and Hatch are lucky that you have set up an online profile and a good name that you're happy with. Most people weren't so lucky, and not to mention if you set it up 10 years ago thinking that the name was funny (take a look at names of shame :P) and now you're just embarrassed by it.

I don't think you should just be able to change it whenever, I would like a small fee with a cooling off period. Even once a year would be good. It would confuse some friends I guess but if you game with them regularly you would know pretty quick.

As for the records, I guess you would just have to lose those records or maybe they could change to your new name.

All the girls probably regret letting people know they're a girl, which is why they would like to change it.

It just seems they don't really have a good reason for it. Or at least the reason they are giving is a round about way to achieve their goal.

I do think they will allow you to change it in the near future. Hell, they will be making money out of it if they do it right so why on earth wouldn't they?

scottyb1988.jpg

I'm fine with mine. It's a nickname I've had since I was 5-6 years old, essentially my initials BZ pronounced as a word. I would drop the 620 if I could.

I think people should be able to change it but once every 6-12 months and some sort of penalty fee. This would hopefully prevent what happens on GTA Forums where a kid gets banned then just creates another account and then resumes acting like an asshole.

There are lots of valid reasons for wanting to change it.

• 4 months later...

I would like to change mine because I think it's not easy for non portuguese speakers to pronounce it so making a simpler one would make things easier, like having my real name for e.g.. But at the same time, I have lots of friends who call me by my psn id and I am used to it and tbh I like it!!

If I create a new psn account with other name, is it still possible to transfer all my stuff from gta online ps3 into the ps4? Or it must be with the same account?

I doubt it, but...

If its possible to change the PSN Account linked to your RSC, then transfer to PS4, I wonder if that would work. I doubt it would, but without changing the linked PSN on your RSC, then theres no way for the data to cross from the first PSN to the second just from a console change. Then transferring the data from console MIGHT make the change, but it really depends how the transfer process is programmed.

In theory it could work, but I honestly doubt it can be done.

Edited by Skorpion
  • Like 1