Formula One

Squirrel

Looks crap and would it even prevent driver fatalities? In the case of the most recent three F1 fatalities (I'm including Maria Villota) this system wouldn't have stopped the injuries leading to the death of the driver. 

The only incident when a driver was hit by a tyre which is what this system is designed to prevent I can think of in recent years is the Henry Surtees one in Formula 2. Are the lower grades of championship even getting the system?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ronin

• Squirrel

• Fido_le_muet

• PapOiteE

It's absolutely ridiculous imo. The drivers clearly don't want it, yet in the Hungary pre race press conference they were all questioned about it and were basically forced to say it's a good idea and it doesn't impair driver vision. I'm sorry how can that not impair their vision it's right infront of their faces.

The only driver who actually gave an honest opinion was hulk and they just tried to sweep what he said under the carpet by not putting it in the pre race press conference highlights on YouTube.

Understand the safety aspect to a certain degree (flying objects), but that thing will definitely obscure the drivers view.

Drivers risk their lives every time they get behind the wheel, can't see anything changing that, especially when they hit a wall or another car at high speeds.

They might as well just run fun fair dodgems.