Star Wars

JuniorChubb

With the Episode IX trailer dropping last week, the Mandalorian series on the horizon and the Jedi: Fallen Order on it’s way there is a lot to look forward too from the Galaxy far far away... whatever your thoughts on the influence of Disney.

Can you smell what the Stone is cooking?

I’m in full on trailer avoidance as usual. I don’t want to know what happens until I see the film. I’ve already seen tons of speculation about a certain person making a reappearance. 

Think JJ was annoyed about Rian killing off his big bad guy so in order to create his remake of RotJ he’s bringing the Emperor back. 

If there’s another bloody death star and a forest full of furry creatures then I’m done with the saga films.

I want to see new ideas set in the vast Star Wars universe, not rehashed versions of the original trilogy.

1 hour ago, Squirrel said:

I’m in full on trailer avoidance as usual. I don’t want to know what happens until I see the film. I’ve already seen tons of speculation about a certain person making a reappearance. 

Think JJ was annoyed about Rian killing off his big bad guy so in order to create his remake of RotJ he’s bringing the Emperor back. 

If there’s another bloody death star and a forest full of furry creatures then I’m done with the saga films.

I want to see new ideas set in the vast Star Wars universe, not rehashed versions of the original trilogy.

I’m done with them for a cinematic experience since Ep8, they are straight to DVD films for me now. Rian done a great job of killing the saga already IMO...

Have you seen the Mandalrian trailer? Sounds like exactly what you are looking for, and I think we already discussed who plays the lead role.

• 7 months later...

I thought I would give Episode 9 a whirl with some few people for Christmas despite my previous claims of not going to the cinema  for Star Wars again...

Spoiler

Despite a whole lot to moan about the film was enough fun to carry any complaints through. Plot holes and silly ‘wrapping up’ and dodgy family ties can be overlooked if the rest is done well and IMO it was. JJ does a great job considering the mess he was left with. The IMAX also added to the experience, really glad I went to see it.

• 1 month later...

Episode IX backlash is exagerrated IMO. 

It's like Game of Thrones, there was no way the ending was gonna please everybody. I found it satisfying and enjoyed the film, even if it had some downsides. 

In a way I'm glad this saga is over because we're gonna be able to move on to new stories, new characters and take the franchise to new directions. 

The Mandalorian was fantastic and I can't wait to see season 2.

Meanwhile, Clone Wars is back if you like the animated shows (you should) 😁

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Fido_le_muet said:

Episode IX backlash is exagerrated IMO. 

Disney have completely ballsed up IMO, IX was more enjoyable than VII but come on, they have taken the most successful story in the history of cinema and made it redundant. 

It just all seems such a mish mash, especially compared with how structured the Marvel Universe has been over the past 10 years. I never would have said 10 years ago I'd enjoy the Marvel story arc more than the Star wars story arc but that's how it stands right now (and I'm not a superhero fan, maybe that's why, lower expectations).

The Star Wars stories however I have really enjoyed, I don't understand how they got these right but dropped the ball with the main episodes.

13 minutes ago, JuniorChubb said:

The Star Wars stories however I have really enjoyed, I don't understand how they got these right but dropped the ball with the main episodes.

Well, I absolutely LOVED Rogue One but Solo was mostly a downer for me. 

Ep IX was much better than Solo. Sure IX was a bit too dense and a few things didn't really make sense and there were plot holes but it was inevitable after the firing of Trevorrow and the emergency rewrites by JJ. But in the end it could have been much much worse. 

Have you read about Trevorrow's script ? Now that would have been glorious. Much better than what we got ! 

They should have had Rian Johnson do the entire sequel trilogy because Last Jedi was the only one of the films with any actual good, original and interesting ideas.  JJ did the same thing he did with Star Trek, fan service in the worst way.  Look, it's old Spock!  Look it's old Han!  Uh-oh, Khan is back!  Uh-oh, Palpatine's back (with a granddaughter?)! 

My personal ranking of all the SW films:

1. A New Hope 9/10

2. Empire 8/10

3. Rogue One 7/10

4. Last Jedi 7/10

5. Force Awakens 6/10

6. Revenge of the Sith 6/10

7. Phantom Menace 5/10

8. Return of the Jedi 5/10

9. Attack of the Clones 4/10

10. Solo 4/10

11. Rise of Skywalker 3/10

I have also watched The Mandalorian and it's better than most everything SW except A New Hope.

As for the influence of Disney, well they're gonna keep pumping out films and TV shows for the foreseeable future because they make money, regardless of quality.  They already have a huge fanbase that will go and see them whether they're good or not so they don't really care about reviews or awards.  I'm actually surprised there's no new "Star Wars story" film out this year.  We'll soon be getting a couple of films a year, like Marvel films.  

Edited by LimeGreenLegend

11 hours ago, Fido_le_muet said:

Well, I absolutely LOVED Rogue One but Solo was mostly a downer for me. 

Ep IX was much better than Solo. Sure IX was a bit too dense and a few things didn't really make sense and there were plot holes but it was inevitable after the firing of Trevorrow and the emergency rewrites by JJ. But in the end it could have been much much worse. 

Have you read about Trevorrow's script ? Now that would have been glorious. Much better than what we got ! 

I think expectation plays a lot with it for me... Solo defo had its short comings, especially compared to Rogue One, it lost its way a little to the end but I enjoyed it as a whole. 

Not looked into the other/dropped scripts, I’ll take a peak 👍 Sounds like another example of the bad management that has plagued the latest trilogy. What direction did that script head in?

@LimeGreenLegend Look if you XDBX guys are all gonna come over and have different views to me we’re gonna have to talk to @Hatchabout this merger thing 😉

I really get the thirst for new ideas (I prefer the nostalgia myself) but I don’t think the main episodes were the place for it, especially once a few OT characters were introduced. I would have been a lot more accepting of ‘change’ if it was a cleaner break.

Love the list 👍, may try to complete my own.

Not seen the Mandalorian yet, I am a little wary. Loved Pascal in GoT though. Drinkers thumbs up from you guys sounds promising though.

I got the impression Disney were slowing down with Star Wars, they started with a film a year and slowed a little after the negativity. Personally I think every year is too often, especially if they have nailed the small screen as you mention.

• Like 1

@JuniorChubb I have very strong opinions about films and you better get used to it because it's all I basically talk about these days 😄 

Definitely check out The Mandalorian, it's incredibly good, it's a western crossed with classic samurai stories set in the SW universe.  Plus Baby Yoda is as cute as everyone says.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, LimeGreenLegend said:

@JuniorChubb I have very strong opinions about films and you better get used to it because it's all I basically talk about these days 😄 

Definitely check out The Mandalorian, it's incredibly good, it's a western crossed with classic samurai stories set in the SW universe.  Plus Baby Yoda is as cute as everyone says.

The films do bring about strong emotions as they have played such big parts in so many people’s lives. Also now that every possible opinion is backed by a thousand strangers online we are all ‘right’.

The ingredients you mention for Mando’ seem just right and are what made ANH a classic, might piggy back on a free trial to catch up.

Also want to add my version of your list too, might be hard to write though.

Just now, JuniorChubb said:

The ingredients you mention for Mando’ seem just right and are what made ANH a classic, might piggy back on a free trial to catch up.

You should check out Akira Kurosawa's film Hidden Fortress if you haven't seen it.  It's really f*cking good.  I can see why Lucas stole so much from it, not just for ANH but several of the other films.

Would love to see your list ranking them all, get a proper fans perspective. 

4 minutes ago, LimeGreenLegend said:

get a proper fans perspective. 

Just the right amount a flattery to push a grumpy old get to g*t his notepad out of the drawer 😂

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Squirrel said:

I think the big problem with the sequel films is that no one told JJ Abrams that the films are sequels and not reboots.

I did touch on this after Lime mentioned he liked Rian Johnson’s ideas...

Trying to balance fan service and bring in the new failed badly for me. A lot of the things I didn’t enjoy would have been a lot more palatable if it was an out and out reboot in the new episodes. This may be why Rogue One worked so well, it wasn’t half reboot half continuation, it also seems to be the one film we all agree they got right. Careful Squizzel, we may agree here. 😉

7 hours ago, JuniorChubb said:

Tried listing the films in order a la @LimeGreenLegend last night...

Failed badly, ‘its not an easy task!

Sure it's easy ! 

1 - A New Hope

2 - Empire Strikes Back

3 - Rogue One

4 - The Last Jedi

5 - Revenge of the Sith

6 - Return of the Jedi

7 - Rise of Skywalker

8 - Force Awakens

9 - Phantom Menace

10 - Attack of the Clones

11 - Solo

If I had to include The Mandalorian and the animated TV shows

1b - Mandalorian

3b - Star Wars Rebels

4b - Clone Wars

12 - Star Wars Resistance (that was mostly uninteresting, don't watch it)

• Like 2

I may give up on this as it is an impossible battle in my brain, especially comparing the first two prequels to the last two Disney films.

The prequels fit the universe better and add to the story, but suffer from poor scripts, midichlorins and bad pacing. The last two Disney episodes look better, sound better and are more fun (swashbuckling etc) but don’t do a good enough job of continuing the story IMO. I am struggling with which of those elements make for a ‘better film’ against my obvious bias for the OT and knee jerk reaction against anything new that I don’t like (it’s not easy being Victor Meldrew you know 😉 ).

Also I need to consider which film I would watch today, this gives the newer films a slight boost due to how often I have watched some of the older films (Solo for example).

So far I have this...

1. Empire Strikes Back
  2. A New Hope
  3. Return of the Jedi
  4. Revenge of the Sith
  5. Rogue One
  6. Solo
  7.  ?
  8.  ? 
  9.  ?
  10. ?
  11. Last Jedi 
  12. Clone Wars (animated film)

So I have issues splitting Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones, Force Awakens & Rise of Skywalker...

Force Awakens may take top spot out of these four, unless I happen to watch the Kenobi vs Fett fight and chase on Youtube this week. 😂

@Fido_le_muet I looked into the script you mentioned. Some great ideas and some dodgy ones in there, I get the feeling the articles I read in it were slightly hurt fans looking for something better than what they had been given. It’s a great example of how badly the films have been managed though, three episodes with multiple writers, directors, chops and changes, backtracks and it shows.

Thnaks for pointing me towards it though, gonna try to get round to reading the script rather than other people’s articles on it. 👍

• Like 2

On 2/19/2020 at 3:29 AM, JuniorChubb said:

@LimeGreenLegend Look if you XDBX guys are all gonna come over and have different views to me we’re gonna have to talk to @Hatchabout this merger thing 😉

You could just ban @LimeGreenLegend, we've thought about it over at XDBX, but believe it or not he has some friends over there

• Haha 2

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

:default_sign0081:

10 hours ago, Hatch said:

You could just ban @LimeGreenLegend, we've thought about it over at XDBX, but believe it or not he has some friends over there

Tempting but we would only end up with some PearGreenLegend cheap imitation... better of with the real thing, at least he is pure bred 😉

Also with @Squirrel, @Fido_le_muet and @Trashbags we may even find a multiplayer Star Wars game to play!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Now that this our new permanent home in days if not hours I’ll chime in on this topic and list the Star Wars movies by my preference. 

1. Empire

2. A new hope

3. Revenge of the Sith 

4. Return of the Jedi 

5. Rogue One 

6. Phantom Menace 

7. The Last Jedi 

8. The Force Awakens

9. Solo

10. Rise of Skywalker

11. Attack of the clones

Edited by pete_95973
Updated after more sequel trilogy watching
  • Like 2

tenor.gif?itemid=5199497

On 2/23/2020 at 2:04 AM, JuniorChubb said:

@pete_95973 now here is a man I can agree with 👍

I still seem well out of sync with my enjoyment of Solo though.

I did not dislike Solo. I just didn’t like it as much as most of the others. I typically enjoy anything Star Wars! 😀

• Like 1

tenor.gif?itemid=5199497

32 minutes ago, pete_95973 said:

I did not dislike Solo. I just didn’t like it as much as most of the others. I typically enjoy anything Star Wars! 😀

It was a nice surprise for me, I went  early year without watching it as I was so disappointed with Last Jedi. I think the lowering of my expectations really made me enjoy it more, the wife liked it too which is always a plus. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...