Creators Block

JustHatched

I think I have run into creators block, no good ideas for stuff, the few I have had only look good in my head.

Have you had this issue yet?

• Like 1

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

:default_sign0081:

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dodge

• Squirrel

• JustHatched

• ScottyB

Completely the opposite, too many ideas and not enough time to make them all. I've got tons of unpublished stuff coming soon. My biggest problem is the creator and it's limitations.

Edited by Squirrel__Army

I think I need to sit down with a 1/5th of Jack in one hand, controller in the other and wake up the next day and see what I came up with

• Like 3

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

:default_sign0081:

As I'm metric I'm not sure how much a 1/5th of jack is. Good solution though! 

Good inspiration for a capture actually. There's a few cases of Jack in a Blaine County bar, the locals don't want to give it up but two or more teams are fighting it out to get as many as they can to their home bar.

I just attempt to re-create old stuff to fit 30 players if I can't think of anything.

I'd like to see a gang attack, survival, and misson creator.

• Like 1

Firstly, you can't force creativity. The more you try to think of something the less you come up with. Have a few drinks and play other created content to get ideas.

I'm not sure how you generally come up with stuff, but here is what I do.

For captures and deathmatches, I usually think of a scenario or idea that I would like to play out. Then I scour for a location and go from there. Usually these ideas just come to me but inspiration can come from movies or any other day to day activities.

For races, I usually pick a class or car that I want to base the track on, and then I have certain requirement to make the course fun and challenging. Then I find a location that is unique and meets the criteria.

With that said, you have near 100 jobs so no wonder your running out of ideas.

Maybe you could also pick a part of the map that isn't used much and make something there, or find under used vehicles to make a race or capture with.

One last suggestion, which I think lann is doing and I had this idea ages ago but have never gotten around to doing it is to make a story mode playlist. So make a few jobs that follow a story that your create. Or copy a movie and do a few scenes for it :P

Hope it helped a little!

scottyb1988.jpg

What's helped me recently is just having fun with the crew in free roam. Events there have inspired me to create things that I wouldn't normally dream of. The Panto Park course was discovered when I did a gang attack nearby and I just thought those twisty paths would be awesome to get a panto round. 

The boat party before Matty's vetting inspired my Repel Boarders LTS. 

Most of my work comes from jokes we've made while playing in weekend playlists or just random events in my daily life that had such an effect on me I just had to log into the creator and do something about it.  Like that day that I found out McDonald's wasn't serving pumpkin spice lattes this year.  That morning created my now-famous Pumpkin Revenge TDM.

Like Scotty said, I try to find areas of the map that most people don't use.  I also try to make my TDM/DM where there isn't a R* created one.  With captures, you can easily make them to follow a favorite movie.  I'm still working on (and perfecting) my Italian Job capture.  It's going to have the Mini Coopers, Buzzard, and armored trucks, etc... 

There are weeks where I won't touch the creator at all.  Only because there's nothing creative in my mind.  Instead of just creating a bunch of stuff just to create it, I'd rather skip using the creator all together until I have a really good idea.

• Like 2

I've got an Italian job themed capture waiting for publishing. Will have to compare them.

That will be so awesome!  I'd love to play your version and see what you came up with.  I'd like to use the tunnel like in the movie, but we can't use it since it's a restricted area.  :(

Mine is built for 3 teams. Each has 3 minis. They have to get the gold from armoured trucks to buses waiting in the hills. Lots of police hunting them down

Why do you think I haven't made a race in a while? Lol.

Start with something small and let the idea and inspiration come to you. Whether it's a route you enjoy, an area you think is neat or something about something that appeals to you in a unique way. Inspiration is everywhere. From the way the sun's light falls on a brick wall at a certain time of day to funky architectural shapes. Take your time. The ideas will formulate on their own.

Once you make enough stuff you'll start to ask "what can I do differently or better" and that's an idea for a few things but it's always more special when you creatively solve a problem on your own. This is why I don't like using anything R* based .. because it's been done before. And I KNOW it. Unless it's something terrible and I only like an aspect about it and am certain I can improve it I don't use that as source material.

R*'s Maze TDM. Cool location but right next door is the rest of the Kortz Center. Far more functional and beautiful and untapped. Bam, I had Kortz Culture.

Edited by G37
  • Like 1

: FIRE :

"If you ride like lightning, you're gonna crash like thunder." - The Place Between The Pines

Im running low on ideas. I have nearly 100 Jobs Published. A few are just saved. I do far more races than anything else. I usually just find a location on the map that I like, something sparks in my head, and I create Scouring the Projects, II, III, or stcejorP eht gniruocS.  Im pretty sure its just my twisted side coming out. But, at some point during my creation, if the thought of Hatch, DC, G, or Racing saying something like Fuck You Dodge, comes to mind? I know Im in the right place.

Edited by Dodge
  • Like 2

Dodgeservice.png

I'm the opposite to you guys, I have a decent list (probably 10+ Jobs) that I want to create but I never have the time, it's all spent playing with you guys!

With that said, after a decent session, I sometimes find it hard to sleep and keep thinking about the game.. I'll be almost asleep and BAM, the idea comes to my mind and I pretty much am able to set out the whole map in my head (vehicles and weapons and how I want it to play out) so then I write it all down to make when I'm ready.

If you're into captures, check out SACHMATA (psn ID) on RSC. She is extremely creative and has some very unique captures. If you play some they could open your mind into what else you are able to do within the creator and possibly give you inspiration to do things you didn't think were possible..

• Like 1

scottyb1988.jpg

Well Jed, given the amount of jobs you have created over time, no wonder a creator's block sets in at some point :D

Haven't made an awful lot of jobs myself so far, so can't really judge. I guess I'm currently dealing with the opposite syndrome, a creator's overload. That also does cause some problems to an extent :D

- too many ideas to pick from and not enough time to put it into practise

- I start a million things at the same time and most of it turns out to be total crap and gets deleted

- I want to cramp in too much stuff into one single job, making it either a total cluster f*ck or some halfbaked stuff thrown together. So it gets deleted

- I always get carried away and run out of props for some reason. If I can't reach a compromise with myself, the job gets deleted

- thinking I have an awesome idea and then notice it has been done a hundred times before. Delete ...

One thing I found to be very beneficial is that brain storming/waving with yourself about job creations is a great way to fall asleep ! Unless of course, you have more interesting things to do at that moment in time ... :D

Edited by ronin

gallery_510_31_23135.jpg

I also have 94 Jobs listed on RSC. So finding something to create is proving more and more difficult...

Luckily, I haveny really tapped into Air and Water races yet.

Dodgeservice.png

I love being creative in the creator, maybe more so than actually playing the creations.

One reason for me to try and create a series of jobs that follow a story was to add something to the creative process. 

Given a set of pre-conditions could make it more interesting.

I have been considering ways to use this along with the creators in the crew, but have not yet found a way.

Only Dodge could turn a topic about struggling to find creative inspiration into to an advertisement for his stuff

#spam

:)

I have no idea what you mean.  ;)

• Like 1

Dodgeservice.png

I don't have enough free time with to make jobs. If I have time on the PS3 I just want to play. However I get ideas from time to time. I'll put them in here and anyone can use it if they want.

First one is a death match at the Port of Los Santos for sniper rifles. Spawn points would be on the tops of the big cranes and other high areas. Similar idea to the sniper death match at the wind farm.

• Like 3