Coronavirus Pandemic

JustHatched

Anyone had any type of exposure to this?

The company I work for ships in escalators from China in sealed shipping containers, we have gotten the first 2 of many that were delayed due to the virus. They say they are save, but I had a mask on...

MGN_1280x720_00124C00-OPFBH4.jpg

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

:default_sign0081:

There is no hand sanitizer available within 30 miles of me. I need it for work. I should have bought everything I could a month ago. I would be making a ton on the internets.

Edited by Jjss924

There's only been one case in Scotland so far, I need a new mask at work and they are all sold out. On the plus side my boss bought a big jug of soap so I don't have to bring my own in for a while.

3 hours ago, JustHatched said:

Anyone had any type of exposure to this?

The company I work for ships in escalators from China in sealed shipping containers, we have gotten the first 2 of many that were delayed due to the virus. They say they are save, but I had a mask on...

We got our first delivery from China yesterday after it had been delayed. I let someone else deal with that. 

I don’t want to be doom mongering but the virus is already beyond containment. It has a two week incubation period with minor symptoms. International travel has meant it’s only a matter of time before every country is reporting massive increases in numbers of cases. 

The good news is that the virus seems to have mutated into two main types. The original more deadly type seems to be under control. The Chinese government literally nailing people’s doors shut certainly helped with that. 

The type that is spreading rapidly is the less deadly but more virulent strain. If you’re in good health and below 60, you don’t really have anything to worry about. Kids seem to be super resistant to it due to their amazing immune systems. 

For the rest of us it’s just a case of trying not to spread our germs. Contain your coughs and sneezes, don’t go crazy panic buying things you don’t need, work from home if possible. 

If any one of us based in the UK catches it, let me know as I’m coming for a hug as I want to get it out of the way before my summer plans and brain surgery. I don’t want to catch it straight after my operation 😂

• Like 1

Only 1 case in Wales.

If I get it, I get it, que sera, sera. Although I'll obviously try to avoid it :classic_biggrin:

Deliveries from China seem to be the biggest issue ATM. Smaller businesses that rely on imports will be hit hard.

All will be fine, just standard media scaremongering is whipping up all the frenzy.

On the plus side a market trader friend of mine bought 16,000 units of hand sanitizer a couple of months ago, before coronafrenzy started worldwide, safe to say, he's in the money right now!!!

• Like 2

50% Cat 50% Man 110% Bellend

A couple of basic infection control measures:

Wash Your Hands With Soap and Water. Regularly. Yes we know you might 'forget' normally. This isn't a normal situation so bloody well wash 'em.

Related to this, Don't Touch Your Face. Face masks - outside of care settings - don't particularly protect you from other people. They protect other people from you. Pretty much the only way a face mask will protect you is by preventing you from putting your unwashed fingers on your face or worse sticking them in your mouth.

Finally, stuff shipped from China will not be infectious, unless it is hand transported and delivered by a person who has been infected. And it will still be the person who infects you. The virus can't survive outside a host for nearly as long as shipping takes. Showing discrimination against Chinese anything right now won't protect you, but it will perpetuate and normalise racism which is a much more contagious and dangerous infection.

Be safe everyone!

ESTzDm1WoAAqyXQ?format=jpg&name=900x900

• Like 5

I think the person who's playing this real life game of plague inc. should've made sure everyone in the world was infected before developing symptoms. They've pretty much lost now, no way it's going to spread to Greenland and Madagascar before they close their ports. Also the middle east is a better starting area than China. Amateur.

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

Just now, Potato said:

I think the person who's playing this real life game of plague inc. should've made sure everyone in the world was infected before developing symptoms. They've pretty much lost now, no way it's going to spread to Greenland and Madagascar before they close their ports. Also the middle east is a better starting area than China. Amateur.

always a solid strat, infection before fatalities

2 hours ago, Potato said:

I like Indonesia, but Middle East is a good call.

First case in my hometown today. 

Not scared at all. Getting it would just be inconvenient because of the 2 weeks quarantine time. 

I don’t want the stuff at all. Not because I’m scared it’s going to kill me. I HATE being sick. 4 weeks after the Flu and I am STILL coughing stuff up.  It is starting to get humid here and the last thing I need is to be dealing with a cold. NO I am not one of those man flu type of people, lol. 

As @The_Lady_A said, do not be one of those mask wearing folks because they do NOT protect you. Keep your hands clean and stay out of crowds because most people in them DO NOT wash their hands. 

One friend told my wife she didn’t think we could “get sick” in Florida because it doesn’t get cold. SMH. I’ve always hated that old wives tale. 

Edited by Sinister

25 minutes ago, Fido_le_muet said:

First case in my hometown today. 

Not scared at all. Getting it would just be inconvenient because of the 2 weeks quarantine time. 

I wouldn't mind getting it tbf, at least I'd still have an extra 2 weeks in my job while I self isolate

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Potato said:

Lets wait to see if he is going to make it more deadly or if the game is already lost... 😛

21 hours ago, Potato said:

Also the middle east is a better starting area than China. Amateur.

It always depends on what kind of pathogen/difficulty you're playing, China➡️India is good if you need a lot of evolution points quickly. Unfortunately that is most likely with something like a bioweapon pathogen where they're onto a cure from day one. Let's hope SARS 2: Pan-global Boogaloo isn't sitting on enough evolution points to wipe out the cure development and suddenly acquire Coma and Organ Failure...

As an aside, it was always quite impressive how well Plague Inc portrays disease spread as a game mechanic, so hopefully a whole new audience are getting to discover a fun little game.

It was curious to see a possible case in my hometown, but it finally wasn't. There are some cases in some towns that are very close, something logical knowing that Valencia -one of the biggest coronavirus focus in Spain- is only 40 minutes from my hometown. 

Edited by VALL_es

I’m currently in the same building as at least one of my local cases. 

No one wearing masks, just the usual sanitiser bottles everywhere. No sign of anything other than normal hospital behaviour. 

If this place is calm and business as usual then I doubt we have anything to worry about. 

• Like 1

Another case in Wales.

Someone came back from Iran and walked into a surgery with symptoms, which is probably not the smartest of moves.

@Squirrel yup, the vast majority of us have nowt to worry about, we just have to consider those who would be at risk. 

47 minutes ago, DavidCore89 said:

which is probably not the smartest of moves.

God knows how we evolved to dominate the planet with people like this in our ranks.

• Like 1

Can you smell what the Stone is cooking?

3 minutes ago, JuniorChubb said:

God knows how we evolved to dominate the planet with people like this in our ranks.

This is why we have viruses like this to help rid us of the less evolved 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 4