2014 World Cup

alchemist3321

Didn't see a topic on the actual event itself and know we have a lot of footy fans in the crew.

Feel free to use this thread for everything WC (except fantasy related which belongs in our contest thread) related from opinions on the games, play by play, results, predictions, and debate about everything from calls to tactics.

I guess we already have something to talk about with the PK call.

It's like Christmas for me.

• Like 1

alchemist3321.jpg

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cotick20

• alchemist3321

• DavidCore89

• PapOiteE

As a Brazilian, I must admit I was jumping and shouting when Neymar scored the equalizer, though that penalty call was awful. I don't know which position the referee was, but by his reaction (eyes wide open pointing at the Croatian player and giving yellow card) he seemed to have seen something for real. Fred just took advantage of the moment the guy put his hand around his chest and he dropped like a little girl ( Fred is the one player in the team that I never liked). Bad call. And I wished Neymar had missed the penalty to make it fair. Oh well. 

Man of the match for me was Oscar.

• Like 1

Oscar was definitely in form.

It's weird for me because call that like that PK change the dynamic of the game, but the Croatian keeper was really terrible. It doesn't justify the call because that changed play, but I thought both "real" goals were really weak at this level.

Brazil are beyond capable and a favorite, but as an outsider think they may be beatable with the way the match played out. Croatia pushed it early and Brazil settled in after. When it was 1-0 and the way both were playing I expected a draw. The PK really changed the dynamic and is really unfortunate.

With regards to the outcome, I thought Croatia deserved better than 0 points....but that's the game.

The way the ref signaled the PK and Fred pointing to the sky as a thank you is kind of pathetic. But man, the keeper letting a toe poke from 25 yards is unacceptable.

Tough though with the call and it being the focal point to the start of the WC.

• Like 2

alchemist3321.jpg

Croatia deserved more but they were let down by the ref and their keeper.

Their keeper is a lot better than that but that penalty decision was a shocker.

Fred's celebration annoyed me a bit too, he knew the decision was incorrect.

One thing is for sure - Brazil have a lot of support, the national anthem was like nothing I have ever seen in a World Cup match.

• Like 2

Cesc Fabregas has joined Chelsea,complete opposites.I don't understand why Mourinho went after him.He's very similar to Mata,doesn't do any defensive work.I'm sick of our players/ex players joining rivals.  :smiley-angry032:

I usually can't get enough of Croatia losing (neighbours rivalry), but even I found that PK call awful and unjustified. Completely ruined the match for me.

I see FIFA is still trying everything they can think of to have more goals scored. Unfortunately players take advantage of that and start doing their best academy awards performances with their diving.

Did anyone else go 'WTF is that?' when ref pulled out his spray can and draw a line at the free kick? Hopefully we'll see a few free kick masterpieces during the WC (still remember what MIhajlovic or Carlos were able to produce back in the day, just to name a couple).

Hmm. Yeah. That Fred looking up to the sky and thanking god was very pathetic. I do hope he get some sort of disqualification, and an award for his diving. Jô would do a much better job in the front in my opinion.

Any thoughts about Portugal vs Germany??

I think Germany will win easily. Their team is 2x or 3x times better than ours.

I think that Germany is actually the strongest team this year. Most of the players showed a very good job in their respective teams. Plus, many play together in the same team. I am sure they will have a nice chemistry.

Although... Força Portugal! :D

I'd go with 2-1 to Germany but it could go either way.

Portugal have a very good team, they always have a strong team, they also have players who can change the game in an instant but I think Germany have too much quality for them.

I can see Portugal making their way into the second round though.

• Like 1

Did a World Cup forecast with a local pub, hopefully bag the top cash prize like I did with the previous rugby World Cup  :).

Off to a good start yesterday with Brazil winning.

Today I want Mexico to beat Cameroon / Spain to beat Holland / Chile & Australia to draw.

Predictions?

Netherlands will beat Spain in the first surprise of the WC.

Chile will win against Australia and I see a draw between Mexico and Cameroon (2-2 or something).

• Like 1

One thing is for sure - Brazil have a lot of support, the national anthem was like nothing I have ever seen in a World Cup match.

It was epic! So much passion. A joy to watch

• Like 1

THE DUTCH

FOR THE

WIN!!

but i'm realistic, i still remember that finale a couple of years ago...

Cool colours  ;)

If the Dutch play the way they can then anything is possible, you've got some great players but I really dislike the way Nigel de Jong plays.

He looks as though he's carrying on from the 2010 final and I can see him getting into a bit of trouble if he continues to be so aggressive.

Cool colours ;)

If the Dutch play the way they can then anything is possible, you've got some great players but I really dislike the way Nigel de Jong plays.

He looks as though he's carrying on from the 2010 final and I can see him getting into a bit of trouble if he continues to be so aggressive.

I know what you mean, I dont understand why they still let him play after that karatekick and a couple of other nasty fouls.

I know what you mean, I dont understand why they still let him play after that karatekick and a couple of other nasty fouls.

That Van Persie goal was pretty special though.

The Dutch destroyed Spain and left them looking like a team who just got knocked out of the competition.

Be a lot of happy Dutch people tonight.