Speculation about RDR2 online?

Lann

Looking at the first game, the trailers and rumors, what do you think the online gaming is going to be like as far as progress, owning, properties, camps and stuff?

I imagine we spawn in a lobby with our horse and guns, but then what?

Edited by Lann
Edited topic title to encourage speculations

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Con

• Sinister

• Lann

• Jjss924

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it will be a mix of RDR online and GTA Online. Red Dead Redemption has some of the most important game modes of GTA Online (deathmatches and races, the races were included in a DLC) and other fun stuff that would be the adversary mode, darts, golf and that stuff of GTA Online. So, my guess is an online where you must earn money to get weapons, horses and camps (an other things), including game modes like deathmatches, horse races again (most of the stuff included in GTA Online were cars, so I guess they will do more or less the same here) and other game modes like money grab, hold your own... Also some leaks were talking about something similar to battle royale, I don't know how would they include that but this is now a trend so who knows what will they do... I would love to see again some activities or challenges (100 headshots to get a golden gun, hunting, fishing...). I guess the game mechanics won't be the same as we saw in Red Dead Redemption, so I would love to see a mix of Max Payne 3 and GTA 5.

Another great detail would be the realism of killing the horses and other animals, which was leaked by some testers a few months ago, but I don't really think people would like to buy a horse again because someone killed it.

• Like 4

Easier to just wait a bit more (less than 2 months until launch anyway) and see what's actually in the game. Speculating is pointless at this point IMO and a thankless job as well.

Speculations can also be fun and if you're impatiently waiting like me, 2 months still feel fucking far away.

I'm pretty sure we will start out with a camp as well. Interested to see how much we can modify it, if we can camp wherever we want and how it works with other players, mainly the hostile ones.

RDR Multiplayer was good fun but also very limited. It didn't offer much in terms of ownership or customization and therefore I think the blueprint will be GTAO with a range of businesses being added along the way, free roam activities, garages stables, etc. We have already seen in the trailers that customization will be taking to another level with how you can engrave your weapons and hopefully we will see more smallish but cool personalized stuff like that.

It's sounds like the progressing system from RDR with ranks and legend status carries over. Hopefully there will be special items you can unlock all the way to (a realistic) max. level. Yes, let there be a ceiling instead of the endless leveling up in GTAO. 

Edited by Banketelli
  • Like 5

A Pegasus, with a golden carriage, spinning spokes fully armored. Come on R* make it happen. No dedicated servers needed here, keep it traditional.

The only thing that would impress me would be dedicated servers, short loading time & a creator mode tbh. I'll be tuning in to YouTube live streams & you guys streams & clips to see sp & online gameplay.

Edited by Smurf
  • Haha 1

Honestly, I am looking forward to this game for its single player, not for the multiplayer. Besides, I don´t believe they will go overboard with RDR2 multiplayer, because that would mean loosing too much player base from GTAO.

That is just my opinion, though...

• Like 2

I don't think they will worry much about GTAO. Nightclubs are supposed to be the last update and I still remember R* talking about the series being "rested". I'm sure the employees are quite sick of working on GTAO . New updates involve the removal of current things, like free mode events being pulled to implement the business battles in their place. Big rumor is that Bully 2 is the next game from them rather than GTA.

I do not expect a dedicated server, we can complain all we want but their P2P setup has been getting the job done for almost 5 years now. 

Not sure what to expect from the online version. I'm buying it for story and to walk around what should be a beautiful open world. I also look forward to riding around the countryside with my crew members as well :)

Hopefully, no steam powered rocket wagons with gatling guns and cannons for the first year or two. As frustrating as it may be, I would like to see a more accurate representation of firearms. Guns in that era are not what they are now, and GTA makes everybody Martin Riggs with a 9mm.

I am switching between cautiously optimistic when playing other newer multiplayer games, and crushing pessimism when playing GTAO. 

I really believe the weakest points of GTAO online are the shooting mechanics, the meleeing, and the running. It's why I lean so heavily towards driving, silly adversary modes and the PVE Co-Op. But given the setting and technology level of RDR2, I'm worried there will be more focus on the game mechanics I don't believe Rockstar does particularly well.

I suppose I'm yet to be convinced the multiplayer side of RDR2 will be particularly captivating. Now a co-op campaign on the other hand... that would play to Rockstar's strengths.

Edited by The_Lady_A
  • Like 3

No idea what to expect, never played the previous game for longer than 10 minutes.

Likely to play through SP first, get the hang of things, then hop online.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, The_Lady_A said:

I am switching between cautiously optimistic when playing other newer multiplayer games, and crushing pessimism when playing GTAO. 

I really believe the weakest points of GTAO online are the shooting mechanics, the meleeing, and the running. It's why I lean so heavily towards driving, silly adversary modes and the PVE Co-Op. But given the setting and technology level of RDR2, I'm worried there will be more focus on the game mechanics I don't believe Rockstar does particularly well.

I suppose I'm yet to be convinced the multiplayer side of RDR2 will be particularly captivating. Now a co-op campaign on the other hand... that would play to Rockstar's strengths.

I totally agree. A co-op campaign would be amazing. I hope they follow that route... Make people have to work together to get jobs done. That would be really sweet.

On 9/1/2018 at 10:43 AM, Spinnaker1981 said:

Honestly, I am looking forward to this game for its single player, not for the multiplayer. Besides, I don´t believe they will go overboard with RDR2 multiplayer, because that would mean loosing too much player base from GTAO.

That is just my opinion, though...

I'm looking forward to the single player part of the game. The on line will be whatever Rockstar thinks up. I really don't have much faith in them to maintain trueness to that game, but I could be surprised.

With a single player map as large as it's reported to be, I really don't see the P2P to be very valid way of running an online game, if both maps are the same size online and in single player. GTA online already sucks quite often when the lobby is full with 30 players. I would expect RDR online that have the capability of holding more players since it is a much larger map. Hopefully they will have dedicated servers.

Edited by zztop911

I only grow in living soil!
Because Fat Buds Matter!

I'm in it for single player mostly. 

Online should be good but I don't think it will be that much different from GTAO. Same stuff minus the 21st century stuff. 

• Like 1

On 9/1/2018 at 6:04 AM, Smurf said:

A Pegasus, with a golden carriage, spinning spokes fully armored. Come on R* make it happen. No dedicated servers needed here, keep it traditional.

The only thing that would impress me would be dedicated servers, short loading time & a creator mode tbh. I'll be tuning in to YouTube live streams & you guys streams & clips to see sp & online gameplay.

Leaks have indicated there will be a creator!

• Like 2

tenor.gif?itemid=5199497

• 1 month later...

a few of my ark friends seem to think there will be a setup on it where you  collect money for your posse but that money can be stolen by enemy posses. no idea where they got that from tho or if its just hyperbole by all those ark savages who just want to ruin someones day xD

• Like 2

Competitive Thursday, TDM madness 8pm GMT

Not sure how many people played RDR's online mode but I'm expecting similar but very much expanded on. 

It'll be an active open world full of events and co-op missions. Clearing out gang hideouts in the original RDR Online was always a good time. Bounty hunting will be a thing from what I've read (other players get a price on their head if they are running around lobby killing NPCs/others). I believe a 32 person lobby has been confirmed. 

105G game download at launch (jeeez)

• Like 4

CDpIRad.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, zmurko said:

Soo... any sign of RDRO in game (menus) already, or is it still story mode only? I haven't really been following rdr news lately, so no idea when are they planning to launch the online world.

Story mode only. Online will be available sometime in November.

They can wait until 2019 for all I care :)

4 minutes ago, Lann said:

Definitely!

It means no more cloud simulator I guess, but actual interaction between players in a certain game mode will probably still be P2P, so it doesnt necessarly eliminates lag issues in combat for example. We'll see.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wulfherth said:

Darn..if it's P2P there won't be wildlife? 

What do you mean?

On 9/1/2018 at 9:04 AM, Smurf said:

you not getting the game?

Hunting is supposed to be available online, according to leaks. Also, wagons and properties should be available for purchase. It sounds like they may have really went for gtao with cowboys. Creator mode and better servers, too. All speculation at this point, though. 

Edited by Jjss924