Your First Online/Multiplayer Game?

DavidCore89

I'm quite curious as to where we all started, what expectations we had prior to playing, and what we thought about online/multiplayer games going forward after the initial experience.

I'll post in a little while.

• Like 2

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Spinnaker1981

• Sinister

• DavidCore89

• JuniorChubb

GTA Online was my first online multiplayer experience.  Until I bought a PS4 my last gaming experience was Super Nintendo.

I still remember seeing the first person drive by me in free roam as a level 1.  They were flying down the street in a super car being chased by cops and I remember seeing their name over them as they drove by and I thought to myself: that is a real person (I didn't even know you could spot them on the mini map or expanded map)!!! I truly had no idea what I was doing.  Nobody taught me anything, I learned it all on my own.  I didn't join this crew until I had been playing 4 or 5 months.  At that point I thought I was getting good and then quickly realized I still sucked.  I remember the first time I was killed in free roam.  A guy ran me over and SMG'd me while I was getting up.  I  have my first PVP kill saved on my youtube page.  That is how excited I was to actually get a kill.  Crazy now that I am working on getting to 50,000 kills.  LOL.

I also used to be a nice guy in free roam.  I remember telling my brother (Omar) about how I wanted to get good at PVP fighting so I could be a vigilante in free roam and defend against bullies.  But the randoms in this game made me the bully.  Now my character is pure evil.  I can count on one hand the number of times I have not killed someone in free roam when having the chance.  I am just a killing machine now, but I love it.  I have never been in trouble with the law in real life, never even tried drugs, never got drunk before 21 etc.  I am a good guy in real life and a really nice guy in real life.  GTA is where i do my bad deeds.  My bad nature in game can probably be traced back to one of my first supposed friendly experiences with a random.  He texted me and picked me up and drove me to a liquor store.  We robbed it and then he killed me and drove away.  He texted me and said "sorry lol."  The evil in my character was born that day.

I do play some other games now on PS4 (GTA is the only game i play every week if not every day) that are single player.  But to me there is something so much more satisfying about competing against and beating a real human being than AI.  The next best thing would be competing with a human/friend against AI in a PVE situation.

Edited by pete_95973
  • Like 6

tenor.gif?itemid=5199497

My first online gaming experience was on the PS2, it was 2002, maybe late 2001.  I remember first reading about playing games against other people online in the Official Playstation 2 Magazine and I didn't believe it was possible.  About a year later, after begging my parents for a few weeks solid, they bought me the network adapter, this huge brick that you plugged into the back of your PS2, then connected to a modem.  I played the SOCOM game they released for it quite a bit, and there was a Tony Hawk game you could play online too.  Maybe a Need for Speed too, could have been some other racing game.  It was laggy as all fuck and disconnected every seven minutes or so, but I was blown away and totally sold from day one. 

As for multiplayer game, one of my earliest memories is playing Atari Tennis with my dad when I was about 4.

Edited by LimeGreenLegend
  • Like 6

Being a youngster, Call of Duty Modern Warfare was the first online game I remember being heavily invested in, year or two after it’s release as I was only 11 at the time and parents understandibly said no to begin with. But man I played that game so much, i’m a lot more calm now when I die than I was on that for sure. But being young meant I picked it up pretty naturally and got pretty sweet at it, only call of duty game I legitimately got to max prestige and rank in. Wouldn’t touch them now mind but at the time it was awesome.

multiplayer wise I used to play an entirely made up game called “rome total F1” (after the pc total war franchise) with my brother when I was maybe 7/8 where we would try and take out all the other cars around Monaco without DNFing ourselves, massive pile ups and it was very amusing :D 

Edited by Crawford1872
  • Like 6

As a kid, I always wished I didn't have to go over a friend's house to play against him in a video game because my mom rarely allowed me to go over people's homes and I always wished I had a pocket library/encyclopedia....they both became realities in my lifetime and that is awesome.

Anyways, GTA IV was my first online multiplayer experience. Being able to race and shoot people from around the world was amazing to me. I remember GTA IV deathmatches and races...being assigned a random color was always funny. I became pretty decent at the deathmatches and quickly got to that Rank 9 Silver star and was not going to stop until I got that Rank 10 Gold Star. i became an expert with my carbine rifle...i was deadly once I learned the maps and would just hunt the higher rank players just to show them who was boss. I played GTA IV multiplayer deathmatches until the day before GTAV was being released.

On September 16, 2013, I played my last GTA IV multiplayer matches and although GTAV wouldn't go online for another few weeks I was blown away by story mode and never played GTA IV again. 

I was so excited for the Deathmatches in GTAV. While everyone was talking Heists, I was all about the DMs. I was sure my GTA IV skills would translate to GTA V and for the most part they did except that I was used to visible blips and suddenly I had to call a Lester to see the blips. I wasn't ready for the blip-less campers, but in a way, they made me the shooter I am today because I had to learn to shoot quick and accurately or be dead.

My first experience in GTAV Free Mode scarred me for life. I was standing on the street by the Lombank Offices when I see a car coming my way with a player in it. I raise my shotgun and as he approaches he says, dont shoot, dont shoot, Im friendly. He gets out the car and im still holding the shotgun to his face as he is pleading me not to kill him as he is a good guy. I lower my shotgun and was about to speak to him when he pulls his shotgun out and kills me. I never trusted another stranger ever. I would kill anyone that came near me. Once I realized how much i enjoyed changing my outfits on a daily basis, I embraced passive mode. And since I was just DM hopping 99% of the time, being in passive made life so much easier as I transitioned from session to session without wasting time chasing a guy across the map trying to avenge his cheap kill while I was trying on ties.

A year ago, I began finding myself alone in GTAV after my crew moved on to IRL stuff and once the invisible body glitchers began infiltrating the DMs, i was ready to leave Los Santos behind for good. Then a guy named Beez replied to a comment I had made in the GTAF about my predicament and the rest is XDBX-CON History. Being part of a solid crew that helps one another get better, finds ways to compromise scheduling dilemmas, and puts respect for others above anything else, has become the definition of the ultimate multiplayer experience for me.  

Edited by Con
  • Like 8

First time was GTA IV. Only played for a couple hours before giving up on the entire game. 

After that I ventured into GTAO. Played a couple of times over a 2 year period. Found XDBX and became heavily involved, too heavily, lol. Slowed down some but am still addicted to it for some reason.

Aside from that I played Friday the 13th for a few days but lost interest. I believe I have done 2 online Forza races but lost interest there as well.

Keep telling myself I'm going to try other games but I just prefer a single player game with a good story. 

Edited by SINISTER120
  • Like 5

Multiplayer would likely be on an Atari 2600, couldn't even begin to guess which game since that was 34ish years ago. So I will just say Double Dragon on 8 bit Nintendo for multiplayer, a friend and I use to tear that shit up

Online, hmm. I think I was Socom (3?) on PS3. Like any other shooter I sucked ass, went from that Ghost Recon series and sucked at shooting to GTAV where I still suck at shooting. A few random games and STO in there as well

• Like 4

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

:default_sign0081:

My First Gaming Experience was the PS3, I had gotten Little Big Planet 3, I switched to battlefield 1943 and that's where it all started. (Battlefield 1943 is what got me interested in History lol)                                                                                                                               270731b2.jpg                                                                               Battlefield-1943-PS3-Lawsuit.jpg.optimal

2 hours ago, Sinister said:

First time was GTA IV. Only played for a couple hours before giving up on the entire game. 

After that I ventured into GTAO. Played a couple of times over a 2 year period. Found XDBX and became heavily involved, too heavily, lol. Slowed down some but am still addicted to it for some reason.

Aside from that I played Friday the 13th for a few days but lost interest. I believe I have done 2 online Forza races but lost interest there as well.

Keep telling myself I'm going to try other games but I just prefer a single player game with a good story. 

Try Fallout or Skyrim

• Like 4

My Dad used to be very strict about gaming and even watching television, so my very first Online-/Multiplayer-Experience is actually COD BO2! My best friend brought me onto it and we been sitting next to each other for hours on eachs PS3s.

I would still say that GTAO was a whole different experience like Pete said it! Huge map and free roaming like that with actual persons behind these little dots on the minimap and they all just try to fuck you up.

and the races... damn it, not only have a online time submited and try to reach it but race the actual ppl right f*cking now!

been addicted to it since then :D

got into this crew with around level 200 i think and i‘m nearly about to reach 500 now and i used to be so bad! lots of ppl here giving different advices and kinda found my way of doing things here as everyone!

beside learning gta-physics for everything xD

damn yes im happy i can kinda hold up to u guys now at some point (still suck at some LTS and TDM with the crew) but its been awesome ever since :D!

• Like 4

Think my first Online gaming experience was probably Yahoo games. Browser based but was my first experience playing against someone else. On console it was Battlefront 2 on the PS2. I miss those days. I do wonder if there’s still an active server. Retro gaming is in right now. 

• Like 2

Ok, My first Multiplayer experience was either Medal of Honor Allied Assault or Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2. Honestly can´t remember. I know I played both online and relatively close to each other.

But now that I am thinking hard about it: when did the hearts, spades and blackgammon games online come to windows??? :D

Battlechess was also one of my first multiplayer online games. I used to have a regular friend that played with me. games lasted forever...

Also had the ps2 network adapter. On ps3 I played a LOT of multiplayer. All CoD titles except BO2, Rainbow six vegas 2, GTA IV, GT6, and a few others that don´t come easily to mind.

CoD:MW was probably the biggest MPO events I have had in my life. We were competitive, we were really good. People would flee the battles when they saw our tags, specially in S&D and in Headquarters...

• Like 3

Been playing from the NES days but you cant play Duck Hunt all your life.  A friend got a SNES & Killer Instinct, though I was only button mashing I was skilled with Skelton or what every his name is, that was my 1st multiplayer game if mi memory serves mi right. Lots of fun at friends which was our hangout spot for gaming. My parents didn't like me going to other people's house too often & on top of that, certainly not in the mornings in any scenario. 

My 1st online game was Gangsters Vendetta 2 on the PC and it also had a single player aspect, it was a RTS game based on the Al Capone era. You had a HQ, car & a few gangsters to start with. There were multiple goals in multiplayer like taking over your enemies business, killing the managers of whatever business so it wasn't that profitable to them, setting a bomb to any business manager, gangster or ultimately the bosses car undetected, hiring a special Hit man from out of town to take out enemy boss or a high-level bosses,  purchasing  bullet proof cars,  upgrading gangsters weapons to a tommy gun,  buy them bulletproof cars get some with special abilities like drivers, special Shooters and having gangsters stand in front of the profitable businesses with the right equipment just in case you're enemy has the silly idea that you are a push over and so on.......ect loved the music, the voices the animation, the game play. 

My thoughts on the evolution of gaming seeing as I'm coming from the ancient days of Gaming, I was expecting multiple gamers, basically one TV per gamer on a single console, it obviously didn't pan out that way. We didn't have the internet back then in the earlier days or understood it use for gaming to input a opinion back then, but when it comes to a game like Grand Theft Auto 5 was where I always wanted it to be for the most part. This sand box type of game or as they call it open world, is really the alpha version of where I want it to be, not dealing with graphic here but in game functionality, mechanics and Ai stuff I'm sure we all have good opinions on. I remember the 1st time I spawn into GTAO on the highway by the prison & saw a billboard Welcome to Hell after a friend was telling me that this game is evil hahaha, very eerie, & the 1st time I died by The Unfinished skyscraper and saw a guy in the sky talking some mumbo-jumbo stuff, you know what maybe this game is evil. ?

Edited by Smurf
  • Like 3

Ultima Online around 97 or so.  It was one of the first mmo games, and people still have private servers today with all kinds of mods.  I played on a German server because it had a lower population.  I was 14 or 15 at the time.  

Best part was "going red", or player killing.  Your name turned red, you could be attacked on site by any player, etc.  I was playing on a custom server when I got gta5, and haven't played since.  There is more depth to that game than most mmo types that came after it.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Hatch said:

Multiplayer would likely be on an Atari 2600, couldn't even begin to guess which game since that was 34ish years ago. So I will just say Double Dragon on 8 bit Nintendo for multiplayer, a friend and I use to tear that shit up

I also had an Atari 2600.....the reason i am still a gamer now is that 8-bit system. Coming from that generation to what games look like today, how could I ever stop gaming? That is like people that had black & white films , suddenly getting color in them and never going to the movies ever again. I wish we had online multiplayer back then.  

GTA IV was my first online/multiplayer experience followed by Red Dead Redemption which is probably my favorite game of all time.

I too grew up with the Atari 2600 and then the NES.  Contra on the NES was one of my favorites to play with friends.

• Like 3

For online gaming I think it was Grid for me...

What an intro to online gaming/racing. Utter chaos on the first corner of every race, people reversing on the grid, I also remember getting verbally abused for complimenting another driver overtook me for the win on the last corner... the good old days :lol:

My first multiplayer days were Match Day 2, an Imagine Basketball game and way of the Exploding fist on the Spectrum 48k. They really where the good old days. Having a brother of a similar age meant there was always multiplayer gaming from Speccy, to Atari ST, Amiga on to SNES, N64, PS2, GameCube then PS3 and usually football related.

Matchday 2 on the Speccy B)

325719.jpg

Can somebody tell me why after 35 years of gaming experience I am still shite? :lol::lol:

Edited by JuniorChubb
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Can you smell what the Stone is cooking?

1 hour ago, JuniorChubb said:

Can somebody tell me why after 35 years of gaming experience I am still shite? :lol::lol:

When you find that out, please do tell me because i suffer from the same disease... :P

• Haha 1

Some great reads!

Quite a variety of players from different gaming era's and platforms, some a bit more surprising than others, 30 years gaming is a long time.

I started with NES, SNES and a bunch of Sega's afterwards, and then pretty much every console to hit EU market. Probably would have been satisfied to play split screen/multiplayer or single player forever until I bought Need For Speed Most Wanted in 2013 for PS3, it required constant Internet connection :huh:

Up until that point I had never even thought about online gaming despite having consoles with connectivity (PS2 & 3). I didn't even connect to patch my games as I didn't know it was a thing. I set up the PSN account and I was hooked on playing against other players right away, I went through all of my games just to see if I could play online. Total gamechanger! Playing shooters, racing and football non-stop, I'd sometimes be sat there for 16 hours, totally glued :gamer:

I bought GTAV in the same month, but online was broken a lot. Came back to it 4 months later, met Hatch and joined this crew. So I guess I was an online noob at that point, learning all the time.

Completely changed the way I play games, I can't play single player with the same enjoyment anymore. I think I'm too competitive, and the rush of winning anything during my first few weeks of online probably flicked some switch :)

I don't play GTAO with the same kinda mindset anymore, probably due to the players here and the atmosphere, but in other games where I know nothing about my opponent, I do like to win.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Con said:

I also had an Atari 2600.....the reason i am still a gamer now is that 8-bit system. Coming from that generation to what games look like today, how could I ever stop gaming? That is like people that had black & white films , suddenly getting color in them and never going to the movies ever again. I wish we had online multiplayer back then.  

Started with Atari as well and moved on to PC. MS Dos games, Police Quest and stuff like that before getting an NES. Discovered the PlayStation in 97 and kept upgrading.

• Like 1

First multiplayer? I think most of games on C64 were for 2 players. One that I still remember and we played a lot with my brother and my cousin was International Karate.

My first online game was probably Tribal Wars, a browser based, real-time strategy. Got pretty hooked on it and it started to effect my IRL, so one day I decided to quit cold Turkey. Donated my remaining funds to a tribal mate, moved out my armies and let them know my cities are free to conquer. That was the last time I even touched that game.

Next online game was then probably GTAO. I might have tried others at one point, but not really worth mentioning. I believe we once tried playing Civilization online with my mates (so basically just a multiplayer game played at different locations :lol: ), but we didnt even manage to complete one full game due to scheduling issues and since it's a turn based game, it wasnt really exciting to play online, as you had to wait for others a lot.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, zmurko said:

First multiplayer? I think most of games on C64 were for 2 players. One that I still remember and we played a lot with my brother and my cousin was International Karate.

I played the PS1 version International Karate + with my mates, great game, caused a lot of disagreements though.

• Like 1

IK+ was a funny game... way of the exploding fist on amphetamines with 3 players instead of two.

Lots of great little hidden animations and the classic 6 maybe 7 player simultaneous choreographed karate. I played it on Atari ST and it was a classic.

edit: maybe it was 5 players ;) 

Edited by JuniorChubb
  • Like 1

Can you smell what the Stone is cooking?

My first online multiplayer was GTA 4. I played it just as an afterthought after playing the story several times through and multiple times through TLAD and TBOGT. It didn't hold my interest and seemed like people just killing each other over and over at the airport. I tried multiplayer deathmatches in Uncharted and that seemed pointless too. I tried online racing in Dirt 2 but it was full of people wall riding in the rallycross races. I tried Red Dead Redemption multiplayer but didn't give it a chance really.

It was clear the direction video games were going towards online multiplayer and I was excited for GTA 5 story mode but I knew if I wanted to get the most out of it I would need to finally embrace multiplayer. At first I played with a co-worker and some of his friends and it was the most fun I'd had gaming in a long time. He was unreliable and so were his friends so I only played a handful of hours with them.  Rockstar had created the Social Club and the crew system, I had read on GTAF people talking about being in good, active crews so I started looking for one and found this one. Now I'm hooked on multiplayer as long as I'm doing it with like-minded folk who are in it to have fun.

• Like 1