DiRT 4

Protocawl

DiRT 4 came out on PS4 in June 2017 and it's a rally game different from it's predecessor DiRT Rally. It caters more to players not very familiar with rallying or just looking for a casual rally experience (much like what you could find from DiRT 3), but has plenty of different modes and gameplay improvements to make it fun for anyone.

[DiRT 4 is on sale on the US PS Store for $14.99 until May 22!

DiRT 4 is currently on sale on the UK and EU PS Store for a mere £24 for PS Plus members until 23/11/17 11:59pm]

Main features of DiRT 4:

There's a choice between Arcade and Simulation handling mechanics and one can easily switch between the two at any time between rally events should they wish to do so. The stage rallies have a feature called "Your Stage" that creates custom rally stages using certain settings and parameters chosen by the player or generated randomly, which means that there's a huge amount of partly similar (stages are made of bits and pieces and the same pieces show up in different parts of different custom stages), but unique rally stages in the game. There's a rich progressive singleplayer career mode, an optional fun trial mode "joyride" (returning from DiRT 3), a fully customisable lobby multiplayer mode "jam session" for all the available rally types, a competitive stage rally MP mode "Pro Tour", daily/weekly/monthly events with leaderboards & big cash rewards, and a solo practice session where you can hone your skills with any car you want. You can also build your own team, pick sponsors, create your team livery and use your personal rally cars in almost every game mode. There's plenty of livery and sponsor options as well as enough space in your garage for over 100 vehicles (after a few upgrades). Loan cars are available for use at all times if you want to try the cars out before you buy a personal one. Earning cash is a much faster process than it is in DiRT Rally, with also more vehicles and team facilities to spend it on. DiRT 4 also has a pretty damn good soundtrack for a rally game.

Available Rally Types and Locations:

Stage Rally, Historic Rally:

• Fitzroy, Australia
  • Tarragona, Spain
  • Värmland, Sweden
  • Michigan, USA
  • Powys, Wales

Footage: all the outrageous things that can happen in one rally stage:

Rallycross:

• Lydden Hill, England
  • Höljes, Sweden
  • Hell, Norway
  • Montalegre, Portugal
  • Lohéac, France

Landrush (stadium truck/buggy racing):

• California, USA
  • Nevada, USA
  • Baja, Mexico

Footage: buggy racing:

Landrush vehicles: Speedcar Xtrem (crosscart), Larock 2XR Buggy, Jackson Pro-Truck 2, Jackson Pro-Truck 4

Watch more videos from my DiRT 4 Playlist on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3Mx-66MNeVZ1iE_PCy4V70ZAZeiqYIPw

Personally, I love both DiRT 4, which is an immensely fun high-quality rally game, and DiRT Rally, which offers tons of enjoyment through a very authentic rally simulation. I continue to play both and would love to play either with any of you from time to time if you have or decide to get either DiRT game.

Edited by Protocawl
Fresh sale

Any other rally fans among our racers? @no_snacks @Fido_le_muet @Banketelli @Potato @JuniorChubb @Mythaga  @Lann @zmurko @Crawford1872 @Onrefne @DeaD_GooN

Any of you considering getting DiRT 4 or even DiRT Rally, whenever they're on sale, if you're interested in rallying? Rallycross and landrush (buggy/stadium truck) with crew would be quite fun. I've got both (since I'm a big rally fan) and love 'em! Could run some rallycross/landrush championships if there was enough interest.

2 minutes ago, Crawford1872 said:

Skint but will keep an eye out if either get cheap 

DiRT 4 is on sale on PS Store, £24 until Nov 23. DiRT Rally has been £10-£16 during sales there.

If you need more money, quit smoking. :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have heard great things about the Dirt series @Protocawl but it is not enough for me to invest in another racing game.

I have just got GT Sport and I can handle an hour or so of that but in general games that focus solely on racing leave me wanting a little more.

Sorry dude :(

Can you smell what the Stone is cooking?

11 hours ago, Protocawl said:

Any other rally fans among our racers? @no_snacks *snip*

Any of you considering getting DiRT 4 or even DiRT Rally, whenever they're on sale, if you're interested in rallying? Rallycross and landrush (buggy/stadium truck) with crew would be quite fun. I've got both (since I'm a big rally fan) and love 'em! Could run some rallycross/landrush championships if there was enough interest.

Never really got into rally or rallyX games.  Enjoy watching rally videos on YouTube etc.  Those guys (and girls) are very skilled, but completely nuts. :lol: -  Plus the sound is awesome too.

Had a couple of rally games many years ago on PS2.  Played them for a couple hours tops, and never went back to them.

The RallyX section in PCars2 is the only bit of the game I haven't touched yet.  It just doesn't appeal to me for some reason.  Might be good fun with a wheel and pedal setup, but with a controller, it just feels weird or wrong to me.

When (if) I get a wheel, I will give the RallyX a chance on PCars2 to see what all the fuss is about.  If I like it, I may seek out a cheap copy of DIRT 4 or similar.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

There was an update today that added Clubs to DiRT 4. It's basically the same as Leagues in DiRT Rally, which is custom championships among friends.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Got a cheap secondhand copy of this (xbone) and first impressions are that it's much more fun than Dirt Rally. I have it set on arcade rather than sim and am really enjoying it. If you're a bit rubbish at racing like me this is probably the rally game for you. The only thing I can fault is that the graphics are a little disappointing, it doesn't look that much better than a last gen game.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, skip_rat said:

Got a cheap secondhand copy of this (xbone) and first impressions are that it's much more fun than Dirt Rally. I have it set on arcade rather than sim and am really enjoying it. If you're a bit rubbish at racing like me this is probably the rally game for you. The only thing I can fault is that the graphics are a little disappointing, it doesn't look that much better than a last gen game.

That's pretty much the perfect summary of DiRT 4. It suits the casual gamer a lot more than DiRT Rally.