Same Sex Marriage

JustHatched

Yes, I was living in Germany for a few years, but I was working for NATO and so my colleagues were mostly Europeans.

Wife and I made an effort to socialize outside of the military sphere as much as possible and since we lived walking distance from Holland we made a few friends across the border. We loved it there but the weather was just too much for me for 8 months of the year. Our first year in Germany was ROUGH...The Netherlands made life for us SO MUCH EASIER for many reasons, a huge one being that you are WAY more likely to find a dutch person who speaks english really well than a rural German, and our first home was very RURAL. Until we learned German we depended on going to the Netherlands for a great many things.

• Like 1

handcuff_charlie.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DavidCore89

• handcuff_charlie

• LN-MLB

• Hannabis_80

Oddly enough, same sex marriages are not allowed to be performed in Oregon, but their status is recognized from other states and can be performed just across the border in Washington.

I don't believe the government (or anyone else for matter) should tell you who you can or cannot marry.  As long as both parties are consenting adults, I fully support them and wish them all the best.

I believe we should have more personal freedom, not less.  I long for the day when these out-dated restrictions are nothing but a fading memory.

Congrats on Oregon joining the 21st century.

Gay marriage is now legal in the state of Oregon.

http://www.chron.com/news/texas/article/Ruling-expected-Monday-on-Oregon-gay-marriage-ban-5488210.php

I must admit a vice of mine is reading all the ignorant comments on internet posts regarding these sort of things, it's been an entertaining morning to say the least.

Edited by Hannabis_80
  • Like 2

• 3 years later...

I believe Jamaicans have a liberal mindset except when it comes to this specifically though somewhat tolerant to the homosexual community, in a cognitive dissonance type of way. 

Jamaica is Ground Zero for homosexual discrimination 

World wide.  The Buggery Law only focuses on male's  being caught in the act of anything deemed sexual with another 'male.' It's not considered a human rights issue here because it is not illegal to be homosexual, but if two or more homosexual males gets caught in a sexual act,  they can serve up to 10 years prison sentence,with or without hard labor. 

Up to recent times when politicians get pressed about changing the law they respond by saying they want to leave it up to a national referendum, basically  it a hands-off approach and seeing that Jamaicans consider their country,  to be a Christian country, it's not a mental exercise to figure out which way the votes will sway. It seems to be stuck in bureaucratic red tape,  it's in limbo and the people of Jamaica simply don't want it. 

This law has been in Jamaica for about a hundred and forty years. The hatred for homosexuals stems from slavery where the slave master use to rape the male slaves that defied or revolted against him in front of all the slaves, a demoralizing tool. It is resented In this society though some might not even realise the origin of that hatred because it was not taught and that's where there discrimination turns into homophobia. Homosexual could get their heads lopped off in a bad environment here, along with any companions that's with them whether be it they are homosexual or straight,  and it's common place for them to be ostracised. 

Dancehall culture embraces the discrimination to the point where gangsters will fire shots in the air whenever the DJ plays whichever anti homosexual song, & a bit of Simon Says like game is played where the DJ says, if you're not a (batty man) mean homosexual man, do this or that, & typically the male patrons would respond thusly. It's like watching somebody with a bloodlust squeezing away. 

Let me put it like this I don't believe I will ever see a change in the law for them, and it most likely being that way for a long time after. The pen is mightier than the sword but yet the sword remains. Education & productivity is the only soluble way to break that down, along with other issues but it won't be overnight like other countries. 

Edited by Smurf

Interesting read, I didn't know any of that.

Of course, I think it's harsh to treat people like that, but I'm not too surprised.

Gay, straight, bi or whatever. Who cares. We're all the same.

• Like 3

On 11/11/2017 at 4:53 PM, Smurf said:

I believe Jamaicans have a liberal mindset except when it comes to this specifically though somewhat tolerant to the homosexual community, in a cognitive dissonance type of way. 

Jamaica is Ground Zero for homosexual discrimination 

World wide.  The Buggery Law only focuses on male's  being caught in the act of anything deemed sexual with another 'male.' It's not considered a human rights issue here because it is not illegal to be homosexual, but if two or more homosexual males gets caught in a sexual act,  they can serve up to 10 years prison sentence,with or without hard labor. 

Up to recent times when politicians get pressed about changing the law they respond by saying they want to leave it up to a national referendum, basically  it a hands-off approach and seeing that Jamaicans consider their country,  to be a Christian country, it's not a mental exercise to figure out which way the votes will sway. It seems to be stuck in bureaucratic red tape,  it's in limbo and the people of Jamaica simply don't want it. 

This law has been in Jamaica for about a hundred and forty years. The hatred for homosexuals stems from slavery where the slave master use to rape the male slaves that defied or revolted against him in front of all the slaves, a demoralizing tool. It is resented In this society though some might not even realise the origin of that hatred because it was not taught and that's where there discrimination turns into homophobia. Homosexual could get their heads lopped off in a bad environment here, along with any companions that's with them whether be it they are homosexual or straight,  and it's common place for them to be ostracised. 

Dancehall culture embraces the discrimination to the point where gangsters will fire shots in the air whenever the DJ plays whichever anti homosexual song, & a bit of Simon Says like game is played where the DJ says, if you're not a (batty man) mean homosexual man, do this or that, & typically the male patrons would respond thusly. It's like watching somebody with a bloodlust squeezing away. 

Let me put it like this I don't believe I will ever see a change in the law for them, and it most likely being that way for a long time after. The pen is mightier than the sword but yet the sword remains. Education & productivity is the only soluble way to break that down, along with other issues but it won't be overnight like other countries. 

Same thing that permeated the Hip-hop world for a very long time too. It has become more tolerant since gay rappers have come out and as more 'tough guy athletes' come out the closets. One of my earliest Dancehall song memories was the song Boom Bye-Bye by Buju Banton, i remember just liking the song and having no idea what he was singing about a girl. All i know the riddim was great for use in the bedroom. Years later I learn that it was about shooting gay men. Thankfully I was never influenced by anti-gay sentiment or was I ever involved in bashing anyone gay. I never feared for my own masculinity because gays wanted to be able to marry. Even when i used to subscribe to bible stuff, my pastor told us, your salvation is your own, don't worry about gays being "punished" when you should worry about your own salvation as other people's sins aren't yours to cash. Today i will stand up for anyone gay being bullied for who they are.