Same Sex Marriage

JustHatched

I will be unable to host today (Friday).

I have a wedding to attend.

Yours?

This thread was split from another thread, this is for the discussion of same sex marriage and not hate or bashing of gay or lesbian people

Edited by JustHatched
  • Like 1

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

:default_sign0081:

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DavidCore89

• handcuff_charlie

• LN-MLB

• Hannabis_80

Yours?

Was my sisters wedding, the first same sex wedding is this county/district since the law was changed 4 weeks ago to allow same sex marriages as opposed to a civil partnership.

Quite a historic thing in my area, local news were there too.

Edited by DavidCore89

Wow, 4 weeks later? Here when the marriage law changes for same-sex marriages, there are couples waiting outside the municipal buildings as if there was a new iphone release or something, lol.

Yeah same here, I believe Sir Elton John was first in line (no joke)

I split this into a new thread,

The state I am in recently passed the law, starting in June it will be allowed here.

That means I will probably have a load of weddings to do then.

I have no issue with same sex couples, the people that rag on them about it I have issue with. Who are they to tell others how to live, people that feel they need their nose in what others are doing are the cause to alot of the issues facing mankind today.

• Like 4

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

:default_sign0081:

Never had an issue with it. Like most I have gay friends and family members. They should be able to be as happy as the next couple. Growing up in diverse California it never even seemed weird like it may in heavily religious areas of the south, etc.

I'm all for personal freedoms as long as they don't maliciously affect others.

alchemist3321.jpg

If two people love each other, it doesn't matter what gender they are*

*or colour, age, size or anything else people discriminate against

• Like 1

The world has changed. So too have the people that inhabit it. This is no longer the Middle Ages. This is no longer the 1600's. This is no longer the 1900's. The concept of "marriage" has evolved despite some of the very deep and orthodox views of it in relation to a "man and a woman". Religious views have expanded and become more accepting (in some cases). An advancement in both of these notions is a positive step forward for the state of the human condition, and I'm all for that.

Edited by G37
  • Like 1

: FIRE :

"If you ride like lightning, you're gonna crash like thunder." - The Place Between The Pines

Wow only 4 weeks ago.  I forget that this is still an issue else where in the world.

Congrats to the happy couple. :)

• Like 1

Oddly enough, same sex marriages are not allowed to be performed in Oregon, but their status is recognized from other states and can be performed just across the border in Washington.

I don't believe the government (or anyone else for matter) should tell you who you can or cannot marry.  As long as both parties are consenting adults, I fully support them and wish them all the best.

I believe we should have more personal freedom, not less.  I long for the day when these out-dated restrictions are nothing but a fading memory.

• Like 1

The law passed about 6 months ago here in France and it was about time! There were lots of rally against same sex marriage but eventually, common sense prevailed.

A very good law if you ask me.

Now let's vote a second law for adoption by homosexuals and the world will be a slightly better place.

Seriously, equality and freedom for all should be obvious.

• Like 1

Its not the same sex side of this comment that I have issue with. Its the Marriage side. Marriage is supposed to be a lifelong commitment. Not treated as a peice of paper. Its easier to get out of a marriage than it is a car loan. Since when is "Unreconsilable Differences" grounds to terminate a legal bond? I have an unreconsilable difference with every company that owe money to. That doesnt mean I can just get up and walkaway from it without consequence.

Maybe this belongs in a different thread. Im fine with same sex marraige. I have issue with America's view of marriage.

• Like 2

Dodgeservice.png

Its not the same sex side of this comment that I have issue with. Its the Marriage side. Marriage is supposed to be a lifelong commitment. Not treated as a peice of paper. Its easier to get out of a marriage than it is a car loan. Since when is "Unreconsilable Differences" grounds to terminate a legal bond? I have an unreconsilable difference with every company that owe money to. That doesnt mean I can just get up and walkaway from it without consequence.

Maybe this belongs in a different thread. Im fine with same sex marraige. I have issue with America's view of marriage.

That's true, a lot of people marry for the wrong reasons, often not seeing what's around the corner.

Indeed dodge but its not just america's view of marriage thats off. Here in the Netherlands its also almost a common thing to divorce. And that also makes the choice to marry alot easier, because if you dont like it you can get out without a hassle.

I believe we should have more personal freedom, not less.  I long for the day when these out-dated restrictions are nothing but a fading memory.

Have you got an escape route planned?

Our country is undeniably heading towards more restrictions in 100 more areas for every 1 like marriage where it is lifting restrictions.

Maybe just my isolated and unshared opinion, but it bothered me enough to walk away from what was a pretty solid and privileged military career after 12 years....and while in Europe getting paid pretty nicely

lol, funny thing is all these people calling for a border fence to mitigate/curb/stop illegal immigration...They should chat with an East German to find out what those fences are REALLY used for by governments with an appetite for control and restrictions. Back in my NATO job I worked with 2 former east german military officers, it blew my mind the lives they have led.

"The easiest way to get someone to do something they wouldn't otherwise do, is to convince them it is their own idea."

I wish I knew what thinker it was who said that, it is scarily brilliant.

Edited by handcuff_charlie
  • Like 1

handcuff_charlie.jpg

Our country is undeniably heading towards more restrictions in 100 more areas for every 1 like marriage where it is lifting restrictions.

We have the same problem in the UK, restricting the wrong things but lifting restrictions in areas which could benefit from more restrictions

"The easiest way to get someone to do something they wouldn't otherwise do, is to convince them it is their own idea."

I wish I knew what thinker it was who said that, it is scarily brilliant.

That could be the best thing I have ever read, pure genius.

It's very true.

Come to think about it, I have done this many times but requires some master manipulation.

I desperately wanted to be a Jedi when I was a kid. I remember feeling so bummed because I knew it was a movie and could never really happen.

But now I see that the Jedi Mind Trick is in fact real, although it requires a bit more than a wave of the hand to use it on people....although I have tried, lol.

You want to have a 3 hour orgy with me and 4 of your hottest girlfriends....I AM the droid you are looking for....

JMT.jpg

Indeed dodge but its not just america's view of marriage thats off. Here in the Netherlands its also almost a common thing to divorce. And that also makes the choice to marry alot easier, because if you dont like it you can get out without a hassle.

I miss the Netherlands and Germany....just not the weather.

If I felt 100% confident that global warming would turn Limburg into south florida. I would go buy an '86 suburban right now and leave it running in the driveway until success.

handcuff_charlie.jpg

Charlie, nope, you're actually right, I was just being foolishly optimistic.  I know where you're coming from though--it's just a difficult concept to embrace at times.

I think if in this life time you have a chance to be happy you should grab it and run as fast as you can. Same sex marriages are totally fine with me. BUT I have a real problem with our policies from our county court house. Man & women gets a marriage licence it cost 30.00 dollars for them, but when same sex went to get a civil union certificate (instead of a marriage for same sex) they charged them 45.00. And it gave them no legal rights like insurance and such. I was so pissed because I felt this was very unfair to charge them more than the rest of us. The only difference was the words civil union in stead of marriage. This is not fair!!!! We were told that all the people that got civil union cert. could go back to the court house and pay a couple hundred and they would turn their paper into a marriage cert. after June 1st. Oh my god how bad is that. Talk about being predigest.

It's all about money. These politicians pretending to give a crap really couldn't give less of a crap.

I would just be elated if they would get out of people's ways and our lives, but it simply isn't going to happen the way things are going these days.

Probably subconsciously why i enjoy GTA so much. Its like ultimate freedom...with no consequences, lol

• Like 1

handcuff_charlie.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I miss the Netherlands and Germany....just not the weather.

If I felt 100% confident that global warming would turn Limburg into south florida. I would go buy an '86 suburban right now and leave it running in the driveway until success.

Made me smile to read that (I'm Dutch) but times have changed in The Netherlands. People against liberalism still take the freedom to go wild and bully away gay couples for example. Often they are Muslim people. So the time has come where a Dutch politician (populair one) recently asked an audience: Do we want more or less Maroc people? And the croud cheered: Less! Less! Less!

It was not well received at first (at all) but now two months later people joke about it, another boarder has been crossed and this is a serious one I feel.

Aside from that politicians are taking away the core of the Dutch image too: Weed is getting harder to buy (bit by bit) and even the red light district has been drastically reduced in size. For perfectly good reason (human trafficking) but still: Limburg and The Netherlands would need a lot of work to change it into an actual nice place.

I am quite familiar with Geert Wilders.

While I wouldnt pretend to be entirely informed of dutch politics and current events, I did care to enough to pay attention and always ask my dutch/german/belgian friends opinions on matters that I saw in dutch/german/belgian media to gain a little more insight. After all, I could walk from my house across the border into Holland within half an hour. So I tried to stay aware of things going on so that I could relate to folks a little better and not just reinforce the stereotype of the ignorant American.

handcuff_charlie.jpg

Ha! I didn't expect you to know these things indeed. Thought you were living in Germany and being tourist in The Netherlands in a way. Well, in that case I'll just take it as a compliment to The Netherlands ^_^

My reply has a lot to do with my own feelings too, just wanted to share stuff about The Netherlands since it was on-topic. And seeing The Netherlands on-topic doesn't happen a lot :P