Recreating old creations.

Squirrel

There has been some ingenious jobs made by the crew using the heavy restrictions we had before, now we have the full range of stunt props available in the creator along with the ability to stack items properly I've been able to improve a few of my jobs.

I'm going to be going through my creations to see what else can be changed with the new tools and props. 

While I'm doing this, are there any other jobs that you think could be improved. We could either suggest improvements for the creator if they are still in the crew or for those jobs where the creator has now left we could create new versions of the jobs. 

Most jobs are fine as they are but it would be good to bring new life back to some jobs where compromises had to be made when they were originally created. 

Jobs such as Panto Pigeon Shooting by @adsyfindlay He did an amazing job fitting it in where it is but I do know he had a lot of struggles with the respawn routes and glitching tanks. I'd love to see a new version of this. 

I'm sure there's many other jobs worthy of the super hd treatment as well. 

Edited by Squirrel
  • Like 8

I'd like to add, don't just remake a job to replace the props with new stunt props just because they look better. Sometimes the old options work well and can give the job a nicer feel to play (that's why I won't edit Glory Holes, among others). Also, I've played some jobs over the past few weeks that have been updated to change old props into stunt props, and I think they suck now and were awesome before the change (just my opinion).

Having said that, the new props, prop stacking and positioning with near precision accuracy, as well as being able to place spawn points etc on some props such as the stunt platforms and track pieces. can allow for some great improvements and even allow you to make the job what you originally had in mind but couldn't do before.

I've come up with many new and some borrowed ideas since having more freedom with props. I've gone back to spending hours in the creator, but instead of focusing on mostly races like I used to, I'm creating my own worlds to play DMs and TDMs in (SK Arena series for example). I've got a few old ideas that I couldn't do before but now can, and some really creative ideas that I'm pretty keen to share with everyone now that I'm finally able to create them the way I imagined.

I'd like to see what people come up with in terms of both improvements to old jobs, and even creative new ideas which always seem to surprise me :) Just don't go ruining any classics :D

Edited by Skorpion
  • Like 5

Completely agree @Skorpion stuff like Glory Holes is perfect the way it is even though I suck at it! The industrial feel of the containers work very well. 

Does anyone watch some of Broughys streams? A lot of the tracks featured use a new method of protecting apexes. A tube angled and sunk deep into the ground looks better than a huge concrete slab plus cars are more likely to bounce off rather than come to a complete standstill like they do in current races with the striped concrete barrier.

In addition to this, the track pieces with barriers can also be sunk deep enough so only the barrier section remains above ground. This method is great for preventing kerb boosting and protecting lampposts while still keeping the street racing feel. I'll post some images of what I mean once I finish work. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

During Bumps adverse playlist we discussed one of his older jobs.Maze Bank Bust is a pre-sumo sumo style job made with old floating platforms. This job is ideal for remaking. Currently set to a LTS it will be very easy to make new larger sumo jobs with capacities of larger than 8 players. 16 man Sumo would be amazing! 

I don't play to much anymore, but have thought of "polishing" a few of my TDM's (and other combat jobs) but not sure which would benefit.

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

:default_sign0081:

On 1/31/2017 at 0:14 AM, Skorpion said:

I'd like to add, don't just remake a job to replace the props with new stunt props just because they look better. Sometimes the old options work well and can give the job a nicer feel to play (that's why I won't edit Glory Holes, among others). Also, I've played some jobs over the past few weeks that have been updated to change old props into stunt props, and I think they suck now and were awesome before the change (just my opinion).

Having said that, the new props, prop stacking and positioning with near precision accuracy, as well as being able to place spawn points etc on some props such as the stunt platforms and track pieces. can allow for some great improvements and even allow you to make the job what you originally had in mind but couldn't do before.

I've come up with many new and some borrowed ideas since having more freedom with props. I've gone back to spending hours in the creator, but instead of focusing on mostly races like I used to, I'm creating my own worlds to play DMs and TDMs in (SK Arena series for example). I've got a few old ideas that I couldn't do before but now can, and some really creative ideas that I'm pretty keen to share with everyone now that I'm finally able to create them the way I imagined.

I'd like to see what people come up with in terms of both improvements to old jobs, and even creative new ideas which always seem to surprise me :) Just don't go ruining any classics :D

Just the fact that there's a job named Glory Holes means I wanna play that job.

• Like 2

Something for those considering updating races with stunt props. It does have an effect on how the races work. No idea if this is intentional from Rockstar, I suspect not given the specific way it works out. But at the moment stunt races can only have weather set to clear, can't have rain or current weather and in GTA mode the repair wrenches don't work properly either (only seem to fix the car after major damage). That's definitely two things to bear in mind for any tracks intended for endurance racing.

• Like 3

I've updated Runway or Another and Taco Run with double checkpoints now. Had a lot of surplus props on Taco Run so I've made the finish more interesting too. 

Any other races needing the double checkpoint treatment?

Edited by Squirrel
  • Like 2

Just a couple questions for some of our veteran creators.  @Squirrel, @kernalhogan, @Skorpion, @Protocawl, @Lann@LimeGreenLegend@ScottyB@zmurko, @djw180@Banketelli@adsyfindlay, Dodge (it wont let me tag you) and anyone else who I've forgotten.  

1. Dynamic prop placement - The Fruit Stand for example.  I can only place them with about a metre gap in between, but I've seen other peoples jobs where they're placed right next to each other, even slightly merged together.  I've also seen them tilted on angles, which is another thing I'm not sure how to do.  Anybody know the trick/glitch?
  2. Weapon/Health Pick-ups placement - I've seen Health pick-ups floating in the air, but once again I'm not sure how to do it.  I've tried placing a prop, then placing the pick-up on the prop, then deleting the prop,  but the pick-up gets deleted along with the prop.  Still doesn't work even after saving the job first, then deleting the prop.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

• Like 1

I'm afraid I'm suggesting this with out recent testing and only have a suggestion for the first one have you tried the switch trick? Get something smaller either side of the fruit stand and quickly switch to the fruit stand before you place it down?

As for the health pick ups it's really annoying I know I've done it before by accident and was annoyed because I couldn't delete it for half an hour haha. I can't for the life of me remember how I did it :(

• Like 1

4 hours ago, no_snacks said:

Just a couple questions for some of our veteran creators.  @Squirrel, @kernalhogan, @Skorpion, @Protocawl, @Lann@LimeGreenLegend@ScottyB@zmurko, @djw180@Banketelli@adsyfindlay, Dodge (it wont let me tag you) and anyone else who I've forgotten.  

1. Dynamic prop placement - The Fruit Stand for example.  I can only place them with about a metre gap in between, but I've seen other peoples jobs where they're placed right next to each other, even slightly merged together.  I've also seen them tilted on angles, which is another thing I'm not sure how to do.  Anybody know the trick/glitch?
  2. Weapon/Health Pick-ups placement - I've seen Health pick-ups floating in the air, but once again I'm not sure how to do it.  I've tried placing a prop, then placing the pick-up on the prop, then deleting the prop,  but the pick-up gets deleted along with the prop.  Still doesn't work even after saving the job first, then deleting the prop.

1. I've been trying to figure this out as well, but no luck so far.

2. Create a template, place the weapon on the template, then delete the template using triangle. The weapons will remain.

Edited by Skorpion
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, no_snacks said:

No idea about the first one.

The second one, I wonder if something has been changed in the creator? As you know (you told me how to do it) you could put land checkpoints above the ground by placing a prop above the ground, putting the CP on it, then deleting the prop. When I tried this recently deleting the prop also deleted the CP. This was in a special stunt race, so it could be it only effects those CPs. But it may be it effects anything placed on deleted prop.

• Like 1

I remember I've seen a video about rotating fruit stands, which then even makes them into a useful prop and not just an ugly decoration. I'll see if I can find it again.

Not sure about the floating wrenches though, but you've done a beautiful job on the pitlane entry on the new Do you even lift bro? and that looks even better. I have a track in the making, which uses one of the road sections with the Atomic tire gate as an entry and I have simply placed a wrench on the top of the tire to make it clear its a pitlane entry.

• Like 1

Cheers, guys.  Thanks for all your input and advice.  Seems like Skorp's nailed the floating CP/weapon thingy.  Thanks, mate. :)

I'll do some snooping on YouTube and have a play around with the dynamic props and let you know if I find out how it's done.

I do have another problem though - and it's a big one.  Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure I know what the answer is going to be, but will ask anyway.  Maybe one of you will know a less drastic solution.  

I'm currently updating The Square Ring and have nearly maxed out the model memory, even though I've only used 100 props so far.  There not even high memory props, just the same stuff I've been using on all the other tracks. I can still place certain props and it will let me place heaps of them, but I can't use other props at all - things like the quarter pipes and big ramps.

When I was adding the new props, I was deleting the old concrete barriers and tyre stacks as I went, but I don't think they've been reducing the memory count once deleted.  The way it's going, I'm 99% sure I wont be able to finish the update, so any help will be much appreciated. 

Edited by no_snacks
  • Like 1

@no_snacks Do you have any dynamic props in the track? Only advice I can give is delete those if you have any, save and reload the job to see if it resets the memory limit.

Edited by Squirrel
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Squirrel said:

@no_snacks Do you have any dyanamic props in the track? Only advice I can give is delete those if you have any, save and reload the job to see if it resets the memory limit.

I did have 8 fruit stands place in the pitlane.  Deleted them, saved and reloaded but it only reduced the memory count a tiny bit.  It now lets me place a giant ramp, but once I do, I cant even place a minor prop.  It's 99% maxed out. :(

"Delete All" is the next step isn't it?  

It's not that big a deal, as most of the time has been spent on working out what fits where, and lots of trial and error.  Once you know what goes where, it's fairly quick and easy to place the actual props.  It doesn't bother me too much if I have to start over - I mean it sucks, but it's not the end of the world.

8 minutes ago, zmurko said:

You only need to ask yourself one question. What takes longer, finding a solution to save the existing props or delete them all and placing them again? 2nd option might take less time at the end of the day. ;)

I definitely factor in the frustration of repeating it, especially in difficult places. When I have to delete and restart something that's taken me days to do, I lose motivation and have given up on several jobs for this reason.

44 minutes ago, no_snacks said:

Cheers, guys.  Thanks for all your input and advice.  Seems like Skorp's nailed the floating CP/weapon thingy.  Thanks, mate. :)

I'll do some snooping on YouTube and have a play around with the dynamic props and let you know if I find out how it's done.

I do have another problem though - and it's a big one.  Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure I know what the answer is going to be, but will ask anyway.  Maybe one of you will know a less drastic solution.  

I'm currently updating The Square Ring and have nearly maxed out the model memory, even though I've only used 100 props so far.  There not even high memory props, just the same stuff I've been using on all the other tracks. I can still place certain props and it will let me place heaps of them, but I can't use other props at all - things like the quarter pipes and big ramps.

When I was adding the new props, I was deleting the old concrete barriers and tyre stacks as I went, but I don't think they've been reducing the memory count once deleted.  The way it's going, I'm 99% sure I wont be able to finish the update, so any help will be much appreciated. 

No worries mate. Let me know when you figure out how to merge dynamic props.

I'm not really sure about the model memory. I've never had an issue with it, but will probably run into the same problem as you some time soon. From what I can understand, it's a measure of everything you've placed on the map, including pick ups and checkpoints. I doubt there's really much memory to be saved from those, so not really sure what else to suggest :(

Edited by Skorpion
  • Like 2

I don't understand how model memory fills up either. I've used all 150 on both of my PS4 tracks and it's only around 60% full, eventhough they both use some really big ones and a decent variety of them too (not to mention almost every one is custom rotated and positioned). I'm dreading a situation where my model memory is full, yet I would have props left and had to place more of them. I hope you do find a solution (and share it with us).

Btw, great tip on floating CPs and pickups @Skorpion.

• Like 1

I used to have memory problems in captures when using a lot of different actors and helicopters. Just using stunt props shouldn't have the same issue. 

If you're using lots of different types though you may run into issues. Have you tried deleting all of a certain type so for example make sure there's no red and white barriers at all.

I'm not an expert in coding but from my experience in other games I don't think it matters if you have 1 or 100 of a certain prop. The game has to load that model file into the job and use memory to do so. Once all instances of that prop has been deleted a save and reload should clear some of the memory 

• Like 1

Cheers for the input, guys.  I haven't deleted everything yet - well I did, but I didn't save it again so everything is still there.

I was playing around with a few props to see what the memory was doing.  It seems like @Squirrel is sort of right in what he's saying.

For example - the skinny giant ramp has a memory of let's say 20.  The wide giant ramp has a memory of 30 (being double the width but using the same supports and curves etc).  I'd already used 2 of the wide ramps, so adding another one only increases the memory count by let's say 2, but adding a skinny ramp for the first time added the whole 20.  So the count does seem to go up slightly with each prop, but not by as much as placing a unique prop for the first time.

I should be able to eliminate a few unique props here and there, so fingers crossed, I might be able to finish it. :)

• Like 2

Wow.  That was very interesting. :o

Just by deleting 4 or 5 unique props, I've got the model memory count down to about 70% and don't really need to add many more unique props.  Most of the props I need to finish the job have already been used somewhere else on the track, so even though some of them are quite high in memory, they wont add much to the overall total.

With the lower prop count in the past, we've always been so careful about using or wasting unnecessary props that we've got into the habit of using the biggest prop possible to do the job.  Model memory was hardly (if ever) an issue for races.  Now with the larger, more detailed (high memory) props, sometimes it's better to use two smaller props (if you've already used that prop somewhere else) joined together. 

I also had 2 Olive trees and 1 Oak tree.  When I deleted the last olive tree, the memory went down about 5%.  Deleting the oak tree dropped it down another 6 or 7%.  The wide giant ramp dropped the memory by roughly 10% etc

Here's something to keep in mind if using props like the 90 degree wall rides as a backdrop.  Both the left and right versions count as separate unique props (even though they're exactly the same).  If you need to use more than one of them, make sure you use the same handed prop as the first one you placed.  Basically, you can place 20 lefts for less memory than 1x left and 1x right.

Thanks for all of your help again, guys. Made my day. :)

• Like 3