Basketball | NBA Finals | Raptors win the title in 6!

Banketelli

Do we have any basketball fans on the site? I know @zmurko and @Fido_le_muet are into the sport, but surely some of the NA folks must be as well. 

It has never really my sport. Well, haven't really payed it any attention. But a while ago I came across "Inside the NBA" on Youtube. First, it was just for the entertainment since many of the clips have nothing to do with basketball, just the crew goofing around. Charles Barkley is mighty entertaining to watch.:lol: Then I began watching full episodes of the show plus "Open Court" with all the legends and I must say it has gotten my attention now. Recently, I have watched the final playoff matches of last NBA season and I'm even considering getting a league pass when the new season kicks off. Hopefully it won't just be the Warriors cruising for the title.

So what's your team? Since I'm a complete newbie I'm still without one.

Of course, this is not just a thread for NBA, but all basketball around the world. 

Edited by Banketelli
  • Like 1

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Banketelli

• zmurko

• Fido_le_muet

• Con

Charles Barkley, Kenny Smith and O'Neal can be pretty hilarious. :lol:

I was much more into NBA back in the 90's with the Knicks, Bulls, Rockets, ... But I do still follow the league (some years more than others). As far as watching it, I prefer playoff games, since you can rarely see a competitive match during the season.

I've always liked Phoenix Suns since the days of Barkley, KJ, Majerle and recently Dragić, but became a Heat fan when they signed Mourning and later Wade, but couldn't really cheer for them during the Lebron/Bosh era (still can't stand James). But love for the Heat is back on since James left and they signed Dragić. :) Too bad Wade left this year, but oh well. He was an amazing player to watch when his knees were still good.

I did like some other teams from recent years, but not to the same extent, like Parker/Ginobili/Duncan Spurs, Rondo/Pierce/Allen/Garnett Celtics.

i much prefer to watch Euroleague basketball, as it's much more intense throughout the season with some amazing athmospheres (Belgrade, Athens, ...) and there's more team tactics and less 1on1.

• Like 2

I have watched some European matches and I agree, the crowds can be spectacular. Remember a match between Olympiacos and Panathinaikos. Damn..

Aren't they tried to make it less 1on1 in the NBA with the introdution of zone defense? I must say, I like 1on1. Just seem more spectacular with those matches in the match and if you can't mark your man, then you gotta double-team or get fucked. But could be because I don't get any of the tactics.. yet. :D 

From what I have watched and heard, I do wish that it was a different era where the game was much more physical and the big man was still a thing.

Edited by Banketelli
  • Like 1

Basket is pretty cool, I love it.

I mostly follow NBA, the french 2nd division (cause my hometown plays there) and Eurobasket.

I was a huge NBA addict when I was a kid in the 90's. collecting NBA cards and posters of Jordan, Pippen, Barkley or Harddaway. It was awesome. Then I completely moved on and I came back to it about 6 years ago when I met a colleague (now one of my best friend) who is deep into basket.

I supported many teams over the years. Chicago, Charlotte, Orlando, Minnesota, Boston, Denver... I love how the Warriors play but I don't like that they're so powerful for the upcoming season. I prefer to root for outsiders.

I almost didn't follow last season but I plan on following this one. I have great hopes for a beautiful season. I hope the Knicks will get back in the game. Promising lineup for this year.

I watch the NBA Top 10 every day (except last year). It's awesome !

Interesting fact : Evan Fournier, who plays at Orlando Magic now, used to play for my home team : Poitiers. They were in French Pro A a few years back. That's when Evan Fournier was drafted by Denver. Pretty cool that I have witnessed the progression of this guy first hand. That's why I sort of support the Magic now. And with Ibaka this season, I think they can reach the playoffs.

Edited by Fido_le_muet
  • Like 1

I used to be really into basketball, played in jr. high and high school. In college I played intramural and my team made it to the final 4 three times but never to the finals.

I was a big Lakers fan back then and enjoyed the Lakers/Celtics rivalry in the Magic, Kareem Abdul-Jabaar, Worthy, era. Showtime! Even went to some games. Now I live in Celtic country but I still like the Lakers best.

Overall though I don't follow stick & ball sports at all. If I was to really follow one it would be hockey.

• Like 2

I'm a big fan the NBA.  I've been a diehard Lakers fan since the early 80's. (Lakers tattoo on my arm )  It was a great run for Lakers fans.  Their last championship in 2010 when they beat the Celtics in seven games may be my favorite. 

Unfortunately I have a feeling it's going to be a while till they compete again.  :(

Now that the Warriors have signed Kevin Durant they may at the top for a while.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I love playing hoops more than watching. My fave thing about bball is playing defense. 

I mainly watch the NBA, WNBA but usually only during the Playoffs. I was a Jordan fan and still root for the Bulls but I'm an NBA fan of the teams that haven't won a Championship.Yes, I pull for the underdog, mostly. I was happy for the Cleveland fans that finally got their championship this past season. 

I do enjoy watching the Olympic basketball tournament because I love nations and how we are all so much alike. The women's game has come truly far. Back in the 80's-90's only quality bball womens team was the collegiate Tennessee Volunteers which I didnt think would ever be topped, but it is amazing what  UConn's women's hoops has done.

@Banketelli if you love hoops, I suggest you YouTube everything UConn's Women's Basketball and not just the 2015-2016 team. That program is a national treasure.

And of course the Dream Team in Barcelona 1996. Just watched a documentary on that team and was funny to see the MJ and Chuck Daly relationship grow, considering they were mortal enemies. And how about the Larry Bird and Patrick Ewing friendship born there as well.

On 9/20/2016 at 5:33 PM, omarcomin71 said:

I'm a big fan the NBA.  I've been a diehard Lakers fan since the early 80's. (Lakers tattoo on my arm )  It was a great run for Lakers fans.  Their last championship in 2010 when they beat the Celtics in seven games may be my favorite. 

Unfortunately I have a feeling it's going to be a while till they compete again.  :(

Now that the Warriors have signed Kevin Durant they may at the top for a while.

With all due respect to Laker and Warrior fans....i myself would love to see the Clippers win it all. lol

• Like 1

Inside the NBA is hands down the best sports themed TV show. I love it, I've been watching for a while and nothing compares. 

I'm a huge nba fan. My cousin was a fan of the super Sonic's and I used to watch games. My favorite position in any sport is center and of course shaq was my favorite growing up. 

The nba I believe is in the midst of a huge revival. Lots of great talent, great young players and great story lines. Even the European players coming over are on a whole different level. It's an exciting time

• Like 2

tumblr_m8l94nfFrG1r5jta4o6_500.gif

One day the sadness will end.

48 minutes ago, JALJ said:

Inside the NBA is hands down the best sports themed TV show. I love it, I've been watching for a while and nothing compares. 

I'm a huge nba fan. My cousin was a fan of the super Sonic's and I used to watch games. My favorite position in any sport is center and of course shaq was my favorite growing up. 

The nba I believe is in the midst of a huge revival. Lots of great talent, great young players and great story lines. Even the European players coming over are on a whole different level. It's an exciting time

I always enjoyed watching The Reign Man play. That series with the Bulls was epic. I think it was the only time i would not have been upset had the Bulls lost that series.

And yes, the international players coming over to the NBA is just awesome, diversity brings more people to the games. 

Shawn Kemp

IbdXDKC.jpg

• Like 1

Reign Man and The Glove, probably hands down the best alley-oop combo that has ever played, you could call them the original Lob City.

Laser accurate passes from Payton and monster leaps from Kemp! Great to watch.

And that was almost 25 years ago, when you didnt have everyone possesing a 40+ inch vertical jump.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zmurko said:

Reign Man and The Glove, probably hands down the best alley-oop combo that has ever played, you could call them the original Lob City.

Laser accurate passes from Payton and monster leaps from Kemp! Great to watch.

And that was almost 25 years ago, when you didnt have everyone possesing a 40+ inch vertical jump.

raise the rim! lol

Talking about dunks, this year's dunk contest was so good. It was actually great to see new comers battle like they did

tumblr_m8l94nfFrG1r5jta4o6_500.gif

One day the sadness will end.

• 3 months later...

I like NBA. I've been a fan of the Miami Heat since D Wade and Shaq's times.

James Harden has been on top level this year!!

Anyone has Nba 2k16?

• 4 weeks later...

Not gonna click the video. Inside the NBA got me hooked on basket, First Take and that yelling fucker almost made me drop it again.:lol:

But yeah, the Knicks seem like a pathetic organisation. From the owners to the fans. Booing Porzingis on draft night, trying to force Melo out with constant trade rumors.

Anyways, I'm enjoying this season and try my best to keep up. But why do they have to play so many fucking games? They may not last as long and be as physical demanding as a football match, but 82 games in the regular season seem absolutely insane. Don't know if it has always been like that, but can't help think it dilutes the NBA as a product. If my favorite football team played 4 times per week, I'm pretty sure grow tired of it. There definitely wouldn't be much special about a match cause there would be one all the fucking time. NBA should cut half the games and then maybe they would be able to fill more of their arenas.  

• Like 1

Oh yeah, it's well marketed. Commercials everywhere, all the time. I'm surprised the teams jerseys aren't plastered in sponsorships handball style.

12 minutes ago, Banketelli said:

Oh yeah, it's well marketed. Commercials everywhere, all the time. I'm surprised the teams jerseys aren't plastered in sponsorships handball style.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/15210151/nba-jerseys-carry-advertisements-beginning-2017-18:lol:

It just might end like it in few years.

• Like 1

Sad times :(

The jerseys will suck big time with ads on them.

The prices of the current ones are gonna skyrocket in a few years.

Need to find a Bulls one before that happens.

• Like 1

I agree about the season being to long.  It was great when they had the lockout back in '98-'99.  They started the season in January.  It was a 50 game season that felt like the playoffs the entire time.

Other than the Spurs winning the championship it was awesome! :)

Oh and by the way, not a Knicks fan but the league is better when they are relevant. Lakers and Celtics too.

• Like 1

On 13. 1. 2017 at 4:16 PM, PapOiteE said:

I like NBA. I've been a fan of the Miami Heat since D Wade and Shaq's times.

James Harden has been on top level this year!!

Anyone has Nba 2k16?

Great, another Heat fan. :D

It was actually Zo (and later young D.Wade) that made me root for Miami, been a fan ever since (except during LeBron era, not a fan :ph34r:).

Btw, some great clips from last nights Inside the NBA show. They were on a roll. :lol:

Where do you get your Inside the NBA fix from @Banketelli? I usually just watch short clips from the show on couple of Youtube channels the day after.