Land Racing: General Q&A

Dodge

The Hand Brake is not an effective tool in road racing. Using correct braking procedures is far more effective. See the Videos provided on the Demo and the Hairpin videos to see what a good braking technique looks like. 

• Like 1

Dodgeservice.png

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DavidCore89

• Dodge

• Fido_le_muet

• Lann

It's tempting to use the hand brake for hairpin turns but it is not the quickest way. It will cost you time. Sometimes I use it but if I do it means I came in too fast or picked the wrong line into the corner and I have to use the hand brake to square off the corner to avoid hitting something. So it's a useful tool to "save" a corner. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Beez said:

It's tempting to use the hand brake for hairpin turns but it is not the quickest way. It will cost you time. Sometimes I use it but if I do it means I came in too fast or picked the wrong line into the corner and I have to use the hand brake to square off the corner to avoid hitting something. So it's a useful tool to "save" a corner. 

That's true. It can help save a corner if you screw up your entry. 

• Like 1

Dodgeservice.png

I always lowered my suspension...im going to go back and raise all my cars lol

I have a question though, does armor affect racing in any way? i sometimes feel like i need to add more armor to my car so that it can survive the various bumps of a race, but it made me wonder if the "weight" of armor makes the car slower. 

• Like 1

tumblr_m8l94nfFrG1r5jta4o6_500.gif

One day the sadness will end.

2 minutes ago, JALJ said:

I have a question though, does armor affect racing in any way? i sometimes feel like i need to add more armor to my car so that it can survive the various bumps of a race, but it made me wonder if the "weight" of armor makes the car slower. 

It will make your car last longer but the 'weight' of the armor won't impact your car. :)

16 minutes ago, JALJ said:

I always run 100% armor.

I'd really only use stock suspension on off-road trucks, also Turismo and Panto (if you have them).

Can't think of any other cars that get caught on kerbs and would benefit from added clearance.

I was  told that a vehicle loses top speed and acceleration if the suspension isn't lowered down to competition. Therefore I have ALWAYS dropped all my vehicles all the way down.... So this isn't that case? 

3 minutes ago, Dodge said:

RE-7B needs to be high off the ground. It will get tossed around if it's lowered. 

I guess it would with stock wheels, but the suspension compression which causes the top speed glitch may not happen as frequently if it isn't lowered.

I have one with off-roads too, it's lowered, I don't even think I need to slow for corners with that :)

Edited by DavidCore89

3 minutes ago, lIIlCompleXlIIl said:

I was  told that a vehicle loses top speed and acceleration if the suspension isn't lowered down to competition. Therefore I have ALWAYS dropped all my vehicles all the way down.... So this isn't that case? 

If the car has to have any pavement clipping like what DC is talking about,  then it would lose top speed. If not then it will make no difference. 

• Like 1

Dodgeservice.png

4 minutes ago, Dodge said:

If the car has to have any pavement clipping like what DC is talking about,  then it would lose top speed. If not then it will make no difference. 

I should learn to get rid of almost ALL the information given to me by DARK.... Thanks for the info!

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, DavidCore89 said:

I guess it would with stock wheels, but the suspension compression which causes the top speed glitch may not happen as frequently if it isn't lowered.

I have one with off-roads too, it's lowered, I don't even think I need to slow for corners with that :)

I am using the stock wheels. More for looks than the speed. But, it is what it is. 

Dodgeservice.png

3 minutes ago, Dodge said:

I am using the stock wheels. More for looks than the speed. But, it is what it is. 

The stock wheels are pretty much a must-have, they do look cool as well.

I have another one with custom wheels for some of the tougher crew tracks.

Edited by DavidCore89

Looks I have been away from gta for a long time, so the new car is glitched and is faster with stock wheels? 

www.ishare4free.com

Please don't be offended, it's a small piece of my mind that I chose to expose...

1 hour ago, grjkie said:

Looks I have been away from gta for a long time, so the new car is glitched and is faster with stock wheels? 

Yep. It's unbeattable on long straights tracks with the stock wheels.

Custom wheels work on technical tracks.

• Like 1

On 01/08/2016 at 0:29 AM, truelife98 said:

Dodge you made the comment about flicking the stick to steer a little bit on a strait away something I never thought of or do I usually just hold it in to get where I wanna go causing me to slow down never thought about it slowing me down to steer a little. 

Another observation and something I know is true for me is track knowledge I don't know most of the tracks I race because I don't race enough.  I did do a few crew challenges and it's amazing seeing how much you can improve once you simply learn the track. 

Having as little input as possible is best, but far easier said than done. To practice this, try an airport track. You can actually hear the revs drop when you steer too much. On a lot of the gradual curves, I don't drop the revs much because I am only ever so slightly tapping in the direction I want to go in.

Another big thing which I have been saying for AGES is the importance of placing checkpoints and props correctly. Ever notice how you the fast guys are still fast on new tracks to them? I remembers DC playing my track that I had already clocked up a huge number of laps in testing, only for him to come and kick my ass. If the CPs are placed correctly, you can read them and be able to tell exactly how fast you can take the corner. How on earth are you supposed to remember how to position yourself for the next corner in 1000's of tracks, or remember that this specific CP is a braking point or meant to be a u-turn that looks like a 90 degree bend etc. I dislike tracks that I need to "learn" the tricks to be competitive in, and sadly there are many jobs like that.

You also asked about braking before a corner and accelerating out. That is the correct way to race but since this isn't a racing simulator, I would have to disagree a little bit. I'd say it is an advanced move though and only certain cars can do it but I always braked later, and slid half way through the corner and then accelerated out and I was always able to go as quick or quicker than others using the correct technique. Obviously driving so hard, you're bound to screw up and wipe out costing you more time but I still think you can do it, but wouldn't recommend it.

On 03/08/2016 at 3:43 AM, Beez said:

Exactly this, On some tracks the hair pins are very tight and if you take a bad line you need to use your handbrake to make the turn. The other good thing I use it for is when I take a corner way too quick and instead of hitting a barrier head on, I flick the car side ways into it so that I can recover as quickly as possible.

On 03/08/2016 at 4:14 AM, Fido_le_muet said:

It will make your car last longer but the 'weight' of the armor won't impact your car. :)

I was under the impression that there was a slight speed reduction due to the weight of the armor, but one or 2 small crashes would have a bigger impact on performance making it well worth using. Maybe @DavidCore89 knows more since if I recall correctly, it was he who mentioned it a year or so ago.

• Like 3

scottyb1988.jpg

How do you guys drive in freeroam? I personally love pushing the car to the limit and drifting it everywhere. This should teach you how to handle the car when you inevitably lose control in a race. Wiping out loses you a lot of time so when you do start to slide, If you're able to pull it back in and recover, you'll obviously be losing a lot less time. 

I'd encourage everyone to practice drifting and throwing the car into a slide around corners in free roam with all different types of cars so that you can learn how the car handles in all types of situations that you'll frequently encounter while racing.

• Like 5

scottyb1988.jpg

3 hours ago, ScottyB said:

I was under the impression that there was a slight speed reduction due to the weight of the armor, but one or 2 small crashes would have a bigger impact on performance making it well worth using. Maybe @DavidCore89 knows more since if I recall correctly, it was he who mentioned it a year or so ago.

Adding armor makes no difference to performance, it just makes it stronger against impacts.

Nothing worse than having your car pulling to one side during a race :)

Edited by DavidCore89

If i am driving and have people behind me that I don't see. Let's say they are both behind and beside me, but i can't see them on my screen other than some blue dots close to me on the minimap. Can i go about my driving without worrying cutting someone off?

If two cars are next to eachother on a straight,  who gets to go first on the next corner? 

8 minutes ago, Lann said:

If two cars are next to eachother on a straight,  who gets to go first on the next corner? 

Theoretically, the one who is on the inside of the next turn. But by breaking late, the one on the outside can go in front.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Fido_le_muet said:

Theoretically, the one who is on the inside of the next turn. But by breaking late, the one on the outside can go in front.

So its ok to break late and throw his car infront of the other as long as he don't hit the other car? Forcing the other car to break is ok as well? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lann said:

So its ok to break late and throw his car infront of the other as long as he don't hit the other car? Forcing the other car to break is ok as well? 

I'm gonna say yes. If you're certain you can make your move without hitting the other guy, then it's fair game.

Of course this is GTA and with lag and such, it's riskier and a lot more uncertain.

• Like 1

Well, the inside on the approach to a corner is not the racing line (only the apex has the racing line on the inside), so to pass someone on the inside going into a corner leaves little room for error and the move needs to be initiated before entering the corner, otherwise your opponent will probably cut right across you because they'll be unaware of your presence and intentions.

Inside line techniques: 

Outside line techniques: 

Defending down the straights: 

Not GTA video's, but it's easier to demonstrate these things in a proper racing game and then transfer this into less realistic games.

Edited by DavidCore89
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, DavidCore89 said:

Well, the inside on the approach to a corner is not the racing line (only the apex has the racing line on the inside), so to pass someone on the inside going into a corner leaves little room for error and the move needs to be initiated before entering the corner, otherwise your opponent will probably cut right across you because they'll be unaware of your presence and intentions.

Inside line techniques: 

Outside line techniques: 

Defending down the straights: 

Not GTA video's, but it's easier to demonstrate these things in a proper racing game and then transfer this into less realistic games.

Very interesting videos!  

• Like 1