Land Racing: General Q&A

Dodge

This section is for General Q&A. This is a safe haven for all questions regarding Land Racing. There will be answers available for you whoever has a question in this Thread. Anyone that has a reasonable opinion on the Question, can answer them. This should open the lines of communication between all drivers. 

• Like 2

Dodgeservice.png

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DavidCore89

• Dodge

• Fido_le_muet

• Lann

Not a question more of an observation but with this thing just getting up and running and only seeing dodges videos I have still seen some things I can work on to improve.  Dodge you made the comment about flicking the stick to steer a little bit on a strait away something I never thought of or do I usually just hold it in to get where I wanna go causing me to slow down never thought about it slowing me down to steer a little. 

Another observation and something I know is true for me is track knowledge I don't know most of the tracks I race because I don't race enough.  I did do a few crew challenges and it's amazing seeing how much you can improve once you simply learn the track. 

It's a great thing to remember. Steering input is a necessary evil in racing. Steering is just adding friction, when you really think about it. You are changing the direction of travel, which requires an outside force to manipulate the direction of travel. That in itself will ultimately slow you down. So the goal is to limit that input as much as possible. Especially in a high speed situation. 

I can not stress enough, the importance of understanding your race tracks. Even if you don't know the track, learn the areas of the city. All Tracks use the same city, so you can learn them just by knowing where you are. 

• Like 3

Dodgeservice.png

About steering and tapping. I find tapping more effective than constant steering, especially when i am close to spinn out or run too wide.

• Like 3

Tapping is one thing I figured out quickly. You can clearly hear the best drivers giving their sticks a workout, amazed some of your controllers still work :)

• Like 2

I'll definitely try to make some videos where my hands are visible.

It could maybe help people use their controllers better. I know each has its own way of holding/steering but maybe it can still help.

• Like 4

Flick that stick! :D

Haven't been on the forums much in last few days and we''ve got a whole new section dedicated to racing school. Nice! I believe someone was going to try something similar 2 years ago, but it never happened. I wonder what is speedy swede up to these days. Anyone seen him online lately?

6 minutes ago, zmurko said:

I wonder what is speedy swede up to these days. Anyone seen him online lately?

Speedy Swede ? Is that Lann ? :lol:

Ah yes desuno of course I remember him. He was fast that's for sure.

He hasn't been here for a long time unfortunately.

I see from DCs post that fitting off-road tyres can make a difference on certain cars, but what about the custom 'Atomic' tyres? Are they just for show?

Just now, skip_rat said:

I see from DCs post that fitting off-road tyres can make a difference on certain cars, but what about the custom 'Atomic' tyres? Are they just for show?

Everything that I've seen suggests that these tires are just for show. 

Dodgeservice.png

I was told that the Turismo R should be left with stock suspension otherwise it has trouble if you clip a kerb. Is this the case?

1 minute ago, skip_rat said:

I was told that the Turismo R should be left with stock suspension otherwise it has trouble if you clip a kerb. Is this the case?

It's a good idea to gain a little bit more ground clearance.

I used to run my Turismo and Panto with stock suspension.

• Like 1

61523988.jpg

How do I win a race....Just kidding, but not really.  

But seriously, I am just barely ashamed to admit that this is a real question.  What is this changing gears thing all about?  How do you do it and when do you do it?

tenor.gif?itemid=5199497

@pete_95973 my solution to winning races is to race randoms. I won several stunt races on Saturday in full lobbys. It feels dirty (and sometimes you have to race dirty) but it adds to the win column.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, pete_95973 said:

61523988.jpg

How do I win a race....Just kidding, but not really.  

But seriously, I am just barely ashamed to admit that this is a real question.  What is this changing gears thing all about?  How do you do it and when do you do it?

I would honestly focus on setting good laps without wrecking. Get to know some tracks. That will increase your winning chances dramatically. 

• Like 2

Dodgeservice.png

8 minutes ago, Beez said:

@pete_95973 my solution to winning races is to race randoms. I won several stunt races on Saturday in full lobbys. It feels dirty (and sometimes you have to race dirty) but it adds to the win column.

Yeah I actually have like 255 race wins i think.  And 255 of them are outside of XDBX playlists lol. 

You make a good point.  Racing randoms makes me feel better and makes me realize how good this crew is!

• Like 3

tenor.gif?itemid=5199497

Practice, practice, don't care about winning focus on finishing, practice more and practice more. Do the stunt races, there are no barriers and you are in the air or over the water. That helps you focus on braking and the proper racing line. I have won at least 50 races since the stunts update. I have won some races against crew and many against randoms. Racing is finally getting to be fun for me and it can only get better.

Edited by SINISTER120
  • Like 5

Other than to avoid a wreck, is power sliding ever used? I'm not the best at it, and usually only end up doing it while running from cops, not racing.

Edited by Jjss924
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jjss924 said:

Other than to avoid a wrecking, is power sliding ever used? I'm not the best at it, and usually only end up doing it while running from cops, not racing.

What is power sliding ?

7 minutes ago, Fido_le_muet said:

What is power sliding ?

Using the handbrake for sharp turns. Something like drifting but not the same. You get the back tires loose and swing into the turn, full throttle. I'm not much at racing, or explaining it for that matter. 

Power sliding is a rally technique, pretty much the rally equivalent of drifting, but with a 4WD system which doesn't make the car too loose at the rear.

5 minutes ago, Jjss924 said:

Using the handbrake for sharp turns. Something like drifting but not the same. You get the back tires loose and swing into the turn, full throttle. I'm not much at racing, or explaining it for that matter. 

That is called the Scandinavian Flick.

Again a rally technique.

Any sliding or wheels spinning is costing you time on road or track racing.

• Like 2