Desert Dustin'

Torrid

Created for Hatch's Wet & Wind event. This was actually the original name for Training Exercise, but since I needed to lock it to a specific plane the name worked out perfectly for the Duster. A fairly basic air race with very few obstacles save for a billboard and a couple of power poles.

RSC Link

9d0597127d6bf571b99f6acc26b0a80e_zpslvao

Very simple race so there isn't too much to go wrong with it.

One thing I did notice is the starting grid. How wide do you have it? The problem with airs races is that there is little room to catch up to others when you start at the back and this is exaggerated by the very slow duster.

With 8 people, I was at the back and I was 5 seconds behind the leader after the first checkpoint. With a short and simple lap race, there is very little chance for me to win, let alone to catch up to anyone who can fly.

My solution to this has been to try and balance the starting grid between width and depth. This means that every one starts fairly close together and there won't be any major advantages to anyone.

Imagine if it was a 2 wide grid with 30 players. The last player would be over 10 seconds behind before they even go past the starting grid!

scottyb1988.jpg

Here is the video. As you can see after going in a straight line through the first checkpoint I'm already 5.8 seconds behind the leader. I think you do have a 2 wide starting grid which doesn't work so well in air races.

When you make it wider, you just need to strike the balance between making it wide enough so that the people at the back and sides don't have too much of an advantage. Usually you will only need to worry about the first 16 racers as we will hardly ever get over that, and you need to make sure the first CP is far enough away so that the people on the side can reach it without swerving too much.

• Like 1

scottyb1988.jpg

Scotty pointed out really the only negative thing about this air race. It's very enjoyable and relaxing otherwise through some common territory. The route is unique enough for the race to stand out IMO though.

As for the starting grid, because of the nature of air racing and how difficult it is to catch up if you're starting in the back it's definitely best to get it as wide as possible so everyone is relatively in the same starting position.

• Like 1

: FIRE :

"If you ride like lightning, you're gonna crash like thunder." - The Place Between The Pines

The starting grid aside, I think this is a good race, perfect lap length for the duster

• Like 1

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

:default_sign0081:

This is a simple air race track.  Good for a first timer in the creator, especially first time making an air race.  As everyone else has mentioned, just adjust the starting grid and you're good.

• Like 1

Changed to the widest starting grid. Also removed the first checkpoint to keep the racers on furthest edges of the grid from having to veer aggressively to get in line with the checkpoint to give each position the most equal distance to new first checkpoint possible.

• 5 months later...