The Blair Witch 2016

Con

So it's back or she's back.

As a huge Horror fan I have always enjoyed the difference in opinion regarding the original. 

The prequel is coming in September and just wanted to hear what everyone thought about the original and are you looking forward to the new one?

Personally, I liked the original because of the found footage concept and my imagination went into overdrive while watching it. Had they shown the witch, I feel it would have lessened the psychological effect it was having on me. 

Here is the trailer for the upcoming version:

• Like 1

I loved the Blair Witch Project (thr second one, not so much).  I'm not sure about the prequel,  I will watch it but I'm not going to get my hopes up. I'm glad they did show the witch as well. It left it up to your imagination and it really worked 

"It doesn't matter how you find the pot of gold B to the Rian, all that matters is you beat the leprechauns"   - Stewie Griffin

28 minutes ago, CandyRotten said:

I loved the Blair Witch Project (thr second one, not so much).  I'm not sure about the prequel,  I will watch it but I'm not going to get my hopes up. I'm glad they did show the witch as well. It left it up to your imagination and it really worked 

Yeah. The scene in the first one where the tent is disturbed from the outside was creepy. The cackling also creeped me out. Like many things in the woods dont creep me out but if i heard that sound, yeah i would have put me on alert. 

Part 2 was brutally bad. I usually remember at least one thing positive even in bad films but my brain has eliminated any memory of that film except that there was a book, 

37 minutes ago, Con said:

Yeah. The scene in the first one where the tent is disturbed from the outside was creepy. The cackling also creeped me out. Like many things in the woods dont creep me out but if i heard that sound, yeah i would have put me on alert. 

Part 2 was brutally bad. I usually remember at least one thing positive even in bad films but my brain has eliminated any memory of that film except that there was a book, 

I watched the second one and can't for the life of me remember much of the plot. I do remember it was bad though. 

• Like 1

"It doesn't matter how you find the pot of gold B to the Rian, all that matters is you beat the leprechauns"   - Stewie Griffin

Never watched any of them before.

As for making another one. I've never been much on endless sequels or prequels. Especially 20 or 30 years after the original was out. lol

• Like 1

On 7/23/2016 at 3:41 PM, Sinister said:

Never watched any of them before.

As for making another one. I've never been much on endless sequels or prequels. Especially 20 or 30 years after the original was out. lol

yeah like the brutal Halloween reboots. I mean, i love Zombie's work but that Halloween remake, while it had some amazing conceptual backstory pieces, it was just another slasher.

I think some of us gravitate to sequels and prequels (horror only for me) not so much for what will be on screen but to hopefully relive what we felt while watching the originals. Then some people really like sequels and prequels and that is evident by the number of them that get churned out year after year. If people werent paying to see them, they wouldnt be made. Sadly thats what american cinema is now.

As for TBWP, i started the thread because of how divided people are about the original. You either loved it or hated the living fuck out of it. I always said, if you like spooking yourself out for fun, like me, you probably will like it. I like the rush of always making myself feel as if there is something in the dark room with me just out of reach. Or I'll watch a ghost show and then have to go to the kitchen and on my way, ill say to myself, 'Dude what if i saw an apparition right now as I turned this corner!!" Hell yeah. 

I think what ruined TBWP for a lot of people was the expectation. Just watch it not expecting anything. But if you are the type that needs to see the monster. Then skip TBWP. 

I laughed so hard during the first one! (Which means it was a good horror film. Horror flicks have that effect on me, I just laugh and laugh if they are any good.) I really did like it. The second one, well hell, I've seen C movies with better plots. Like @Con said, I too, usually remember something good that I liked, even in terrible films, I can not recall anything I actually liked in the second. This one though.... I think it should be good. 

The first I seen with my girl at the time. She had not even heard of it, as we went and seen it I think day two? Here's the thing, the housing community I lived in, was juuuuuuuuuuust through the woods from the mall, where our cinema was. So, I told her it would be a good night to walk and see a flick.... ok, so maybe a ten minute walk through the woods straight through, and about a 90min walk around to avoid them.... After the film, she REFUSED to walk through the woods, and we had to take the 90 minute walk around lol.

Edited by lIIlCompleXlIIl
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, lIIlCompleXlIIl said:

I laughed so hard during the first one! (Which means it was a good horror film. Horror flicks have that effect on me, I just laugh and laugh if they are any good.) I really did like it. The second one, well hell, I've seen C movies with better plots. Like @Con said, I too, usually remember something good that I liked, even in terrible films, I can not recall anything I actually liked in the second. This one though.... I think it should be good. 

The first I seen with my girl at the time. She had not even heard of it, as we went and seen it I think day two? Here's the thing, the housing community I lived in, was juuuuuuuuuuust through the woods from the mall, where our cinema was. So, I told her it would be a good night to walk and see a flick.... ok, so maybe a ten minute walk through the woods straight through, and about a 90min walk around to avoid them.... After the film, she REFUSED to walk through the woods, and we had to take the 90 minute walk around lol.

HAHAHAHAHA she refused to walk through the woods!!! NICE!!! 

That is what im talking about! If a film made you change the way you lived your life even for a few hours, then, come on, you have to give the filmmakers credit. What Jaws did for the beach is what TBWP did for the woods. 

After watching The Blair Witch Project....

2ikfkuc.gif

• Like 1

I have great memories of the first one; I was 17 or 18 (if I recall), visiting a friend who lived out of state, and one of the theatres was showing an advanced, midnight screening of the film while I was there.  It had apparently sold out far in advance, but my friend was determined to see it that night.  We ended up sneaking into the theatre via some strange back entrance door, and found two lone seats at the end of a row in probably the upper middle of the theatre.  It was loud, it was crazy, and back then, sneaking into films and not getting caught was much easier within the larger complexes.

I thought it was fantastic at the time, but the audience was really into it and I suppose the thrill of sneaking into see it when our chances were next to impossible made it all the more enjoyable.  I haven't seen it in a number of years, but I will definitely try and find the time to watch it again before the prequel rolls out.

I also saw the second one in theatres, but like so many here, I don't remember that much about it other than it was nothing like the original and was less than memorable overall.

Edited by LN-MLB
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, lIIlCompleXlIIl said:

8 hours ago, LN-MLB said:

I have great memories of the first one; I was 17 or 18 (if I recall), visiting a friend who lived out of state, and one of the theatres was showing an advanced, midnight screening of the film while I was there.  It had apparently sold out far in advance, but my friend was determined to see it that night.  We ended up sneaking into the theatre via some strange back entrance door, and found two lone seats at the end of a row in probably the upper middle of the theatre.  It was loud, it was crazy, and back then, sneaking into films and not getting caught was much easier within the larger complexes.

I thought it was fantastic at the time, but the audience was really into it and I suppose the thrill of sneaking into see it when our chances were next to impossible made it all the more enjoyable.  I haven't seen it in a number of years, but I will definitely try and find the time to watch it again before the prequel rolls out.

I also saw the second one in theatres, but like so many here, I don't remember that much about it other than it was nothing like the original and was less than memorable overall.

Sneaking into the theatre should have entitled you to one Blair Witch visit. lol. 

I think people that need to see the monster are the ones that hated it. Also I can imagine if you have a poor imagination or do not believe in anything paranormal, i can see where one would say it sucked. 

The ending also put many folks off but they seem to forget that it is a found footage film and the ending fits that narrative. Both last survivors are lured into the basement and both are taken out. 

Its just one big Hansel and Gretel tale, except we dont get to see the horrible stuff, we just get to imagine it. Take the film Se7en, if they showed us the head, it wouldnt have been nearly as impactful as what my brain imagined the head looked like, did he leave the eyes open? Did he put something in the mouth? Sort of like that. 

• 1 month later...

9 days to go!! I probably wont go on opening night as people will be talking throughout the film for sure. 

But might go the next day on my Bday! 

"Paired with a sound design that emphasizes sudden noises above all else, jump scares abound throughout the sporadically funny first half. Wingard continues to lightly add humor as a means to lull his audience into a false sense of security — setting them up to make the second half’s dramatic shift hit even harder — but its his tendency to go for the easy starts (paired with a heightened audio burst) that quickly wears thin"

Edited by ConGamePro

On 7/23/2016 at 9:22 AM, Con said:

So it's back or she's back.

As a huge Horror fan I have always enjoyed the difference in opinion regarding the original. 

The prequel is coming in September and just wanted to hear what everyone thought about the original and are you looking forward to the new one?

Personally, I liked the original because of the found footage concept and my imagination went into overdrive while watching it. Had they shown the witch, I feel it would have lessened the psychological effect it was having on me. 

Here is the trailer for the upcoming version:

I liked the original.  I think this will be worth a watch.

tenor.gif?itemid=5199497