Top 10 Best Movies of all time

JustHatched

According to this site that seems to let you vote on them http://www.thetoptens.com/best-movies/ , see if you agree

The Godfather

Forest Gump

The Shawshank Redemption

The Dark Knight

Lord of the Rings - Return of the King

Pulp Fiction

Star Wars - Empire Strikes Back

Titanic

Inception

Fight Club

• Like 1

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

:default_sign0081:

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Con

• Sinister

• Spinnaker1981

• LimeGreenLegend

Wha...really?  No way, I highly disagree.  "The Godfather", yes.  The others?  Well, "Pulp Fiction" rates highly and "Fight Club" was great, but not within the top 10, so no.  "The Dark Knight"?  "Titanic"?  I'm honestly kind of shocked by those choices.

Where is "2001: A Space Odyssey"?  "Citizen Kane"?  "The Seven Samurai"?  Arguably most anything made by Akira Kurosawa, Andrei Tarkovsky, or even Ingmar Bergman would beat out most of those for me.

Then again, I had better stop before I start sounding like a film snob. :P

Edited by LN
  • Like 1

Empire only 7? I thought it was number 1. 

As it's based purely on online voting it is the tech savvy generation doing the voting. Sorry @LN-MLB Your "old" person choices even though great films aren't going to feature on this list. 

• Like 2

That is an awful list! I'm with LN, no Vertigo or Casablanca or anything by Scorsese or Kubrick?!

Damn young people and their awful taste.

• Like 1

Any voted list like this is going to be dominated by more recent films and to be honest I'm surprised The Godfather and The Empire Strikes Back made it. English language films are probably at an advantage as well. Titanic has no right being in there (even though I will watch anything with Kate Winslet in). Pulp Fiction is probably the only one of my personal top 10 (not that I really know what they would be). As much as I love Star Wars and think Empire is the best, I wouldn't rate it that highly. Shawshank redemption is very good, for me not top 10 though. I have to admit to never having seen the Godfather, don't know why.

Other films I would probably vote for, Bladerunner (directors cut), The Mission, Brokeback Mountain, Cinema Parridisso, 2001, Chinatown, Sense and Sensibility (Ang Lee's version), The Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, A Bridge Too Far. But ask me again next month and I might come up with some different ones.

Edited by djw180

I've looked further down the list and there's a lot of people (kids) pushing for Harry Potter to be in the top 10. In other words this poll is total utter...

dog-shit.jpg

• Like 3

To me, that's a bad list. The only films I like on it is Pulp Fiction and Return of the King but even then I prefer The Two Towers. 

"It doesn't matter how you find the pot of gold B to the Rian, all that matters is you beat the leprechauns"   - Stewie Griffin

I love Pulp Fiction and Forrest Gump is one of my favorite movies of all time.

Those two and Titanic are the only movies on the list that I have watched.

10 hours ago, djw180 said:

I have to admit to never having seen the Godfather, don't know why.

I envy you. I'd love to still be able to do watch that for the first time again. Not that it isn't great on re-watch as well...

• Like 1

I sort of like IMDB for this.

http://www.imdb.com/chart/top?ref_=nv_mv_250_6

However how do you define "best"? By rating on some subjective board? Via meta critic? Or do you go with numbers at the box office? Do you adjust for inflation? Because depending on your answer, something like Gone with The Wind would be very relevant in that list or even Avengers.

: FIRE :

"If you ride like lightning, you're gonna crash like thunder." - The Place Between The Pines

Funny thing is that many of the movies that fill the usual lists were hated when they first came out. The Wizard of OZ for example, it was box office bomb in 1939 that barely made back what it cost to make.

4 minutes ago, G37 said:

I sort of like IMDB for this.

http://www.imdb.com/chart/top?ref_=nv_mv_250_6

However how do you define "best"? By rating on some subjective board? Via meta critic? Or do you go with numbers at the box office? Do you adjust for inflation? Because depending on your answer, something like Gone with The Wind would be very relevant in that list or even Avengers.

Box Office numbers mean absolutely zero to me personally.  People will flock and pay plenty of money to see the most over-hyped, mass-produced, inflated budget Hollywood drivel with absolutely no story, poor writing, and sloppy acting.

For me, it boils down to the quality of the film--story, acting, writing, style, whether or not it opened new doors, something that poses individuals to think deeply about the subject at hand, an experience that will stay with you for days, weeks, months, forever; etc, etc.

I'm a bit of a snob when it comes to movies though.  I'll openly admit it, and I dislike far more than I actually like.  That was a primary reason for me slacking off so much with newer films, and I've always pretty much been harsh when it comes to overloaded summer blockbuster films.

I don't know if making a numerical list (in order from greatest to least) is fair since I don't think you can compare and contrast distinctly different films, but yes, the modern age seems to have forgotten many of the classics that opened all the doors and were and still are very much ahead of their time.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, LN-MLB said:

Box Office numbers mean absolutely zero to me personally.  People will flock and pay plenty of money to see the most over-hyped, mass-produced, inflated budget Hollywood drivel with absolutely no story, poor writing, and sloppy acting.

Slow clap....... :)

Marvel films come to mind. Saw the latest one over the weekend because my son wanted to see it. It is basically 2+ hours of super heros beating the shit out of each other.

• Like 1

None of the movies listed would be in my top 10 and I doubt mine would be in most peoples either. 

• Like 1

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

:default_sign0081:

• 3 years later...

Just been thinking what my personal top 10 would be.  Right now, it would be this:

Brazil

The King of Comedy 

Sleuth

Dr Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb

The Killing of a Sacred Deer

North by Northwest

12 Angry Men

The Goonies

Oldboy

Barton Fink

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LimeGreenLegend said:

Just been thinking what my personal top 10 would be.  Right now, it would be this:

Brazil

The King of Comedy 

Sleuth

Dr Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb

The Killing of a Sacred Deer

North by Northwest

12 Angry Men

The Goonies

Oldboy

Barton Fink

Yass!

• Like 1

Ok, my list is also very different.

I won´t make a 1-10 list. these are my top 10 favourite movies, but just not in order, and, not the best movies, just my favourite:

La vita è Bella,

2001 Space Odyssey

English Patient

Enemy at the gates

The Sound of Music

A Clockwork Orange

Cidade de Deus

The Hunt for the Red October

Dances with Wolves

Spirited Away.

Ok, this is, at the moment, my list. But, if you ask me tomorrow, I might change my mind... :P

Edited by Spinnaker1981
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, LimeGreenLegend said:

Not that it’s a bad movie, but the shawshank redemption is incredibly overrated.

You just never been to prison. :D ... plus how can something be overrated when it flopped at the box office when it was released? That already disqualifies it. People like me love the film and own the shooting script because I related to Andy Dufresne once in my life, and not his "Banker" part. :D 

Edited by Con