How do you watch movies?

JustHatched

Theater? TV? Thru the neighbors window? 

For us it is usually on TV, we don't rent movies or use Netflix, just what ever is on at the time. Last time I was in the theater was to see Dark Knight Rises and it was horrible, the sound was shit, the crowd was shit and the pop was flat...

There is a drive in theater about 45 minutes away, I use to work at a factory next to it and we would sit in the parking lot and turn the car radio on an watch the movie once a week instead of working.

• Like 2

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

:default_sign0081:

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JustHatched

• Sinister

• zmurko

• Jesse

It tends to be DVDs we buy mainly for us now, sometimes a pay-per-view one through the cable TV. Renting DVDs is not an option, no local DVD shops anymore. I was in LoveFilm (order online, DVD mailed to you) for a trail period but they didn't seem to have many films we really wanted to watch. We used to go to the cinema a couple of times a month, but I think we went through a spell of there being nothing we wanted to see and got out of the habit. Last film we saw at the cinema was The Force Awakens, just before Christmas. Also our mobile phone provider used to "Orange Wednesdays", 2 tickets for the price of one, but not anymore and there's been a steep price rise at cinemas.

I "borrow" them, connect my laptop to TV (as an external display), turn up the sound on the laptop and thats it.

Last movie I've seen in the theatre was one of the LOTRs I think. The crowds and all the idiots there, mobile phones, the smell of popcorn, not being able to pause the movie, ... not for me.

For me it depends on the film. If I know viewing on the big screen in 3D etc is going to enhance the viewing experience then I'll definitely get myself to the cinema. I have one locally which adds an extra service to the experience. Instead of seats you have sofas (couch) you have a table where you can put drinks, pizza, nibbles. Each pair of seats also has a wine cooler too. I can fully stretch out and I'm well over 6 feet tall. The price now is comparable to the average cinema which is full of kids throwing popcorn and generally being a pain. Because it's a licensed premises that serves alcohol there are no unaccompanied kids so that really improves the cinema experience.

Home viewing I generally source HD quality films from the internet but I will buy films I really enjoy for my personal collection.

I currently have a 5.1 surround sound system and will be upgrading it to 7.1 soon, nice big screen and the ability to pause and rewind makes a huge difference.

• Like 1

Drive in theatre sounds fun. Very American :D

I don't watch many movies as my favourite genre isn't frequently covered, but when I do it's always on the LG 55' and LG 7.1... Wish I had a 3D TV.

The Mrs uses Netflix and the like to watch a lot of stuff while at work. Probably signed up to every one of those pay monthly fuckers.

For us it is at the Drive in. We go at least once a month sometimes twice. The kids love it. I enjoy the atmosphere. We love the fact we get 2 movies for the price of one and it is way cheaper than an actual theater.

• Like 1

I LOVE movies!  I go to the theater at least a few times a month.  Already got my tickets for Civil War on Saturday.  I have Netflix, Hulu, and I subscribe to HBO, Showtime, Starz, Cinemax and own a few hundred DVDs.  Yeah....I like movies.

tenor.gif?itemid=5199497

As Tech said it is pretty much nothing but the drive in for us. I don't need 3d or high tech sound to enjoy a movie. I prefer a good story. 

That said, the near endless stream of remakes, reboots and  20 years later sequels do not appeal to me at all. Hollywood is out of ideas and originality is nearly a thing of the past. I don't see the appeal of endless franchises and super hero movies either. Repetition bores me to tears and in my eyes these movies are all the same basic thing. I also miss the days of R rated horror movies.

Give me animation and absurd humor any day.

Edited by SINISTER120
  • Like 1

I usually download from a torrent site, dump to a USB drive, then plug that into my TV and watch it there. That and Netflix.  If its a new movie I'm really excited to see, I'll hitup the theater.

Netflix, 2 cable subscription or a movie/ tv app or a special website when I miss an episode or if all the others does not covered something I want to watch.

Edited by Smurf
  • Like 1

Always theater when it's a movie I absolutely want to see.

Otherwise, I find a copy on the internet and Watch it on the TV via USB stick like Pete. 

I do buy a few DVDs and get some as presents sometimes. 

No BluRays, doesn't justify the prices gap with DVD. Only have one : Gravity because it looks amazing on the 3D TV. 

Use to get my movies free from the web. Can't do that anymore. We have Netflix and are looking to get an android stick.

We go to the theatres for movies that we absolutely have to see. Last was Furious 7 and before that Dark Knight rises. We will probably see the rest of the Fast and Furious films in theatre also.

I watxh most my movies on my android TV box thru Kodi

Last couple movies I saw in theaters were all kids movies with my wife and daughter

• Like 2

Same as me True, I have 3 android tv boxes and watch movies in theatre that are HD. I can't do camrips. I got rid of my satellite last November and just watch everything from the Internet and save 200 a month in cable bills. Should have done it wayyyyy sooner.

• Like 3

Kodi for me too running on a Raspberry Pi. I also have Amazon and Netflix. If it's something I really like I'll buy the blu-Ray/DVD. 

I only goto the movies for the really big ones to get the full experience as the makers intended... ( I would love that Cinema Squirrel mentioned :D )

LOTR I watched in the Cinema the simpson's movie ( on holiday in Sweden on Lidingö) Star Wars VII, and a Cartoon Film with my daughter...

other than that I am Amazon Prime+ Netflix + 300+ ( no idea how many really by now) DVD and Blue rays.

On 5/5/2016 at 2:00 AM, Hatch said:

Theater? TV? Thru the neighbors window? 

For us it is usually on TV, we don't rent movies or use Netflix, just what ever is on at the time. Last time I was in the theater was to see Dark Knight Rises and it was horrible, the sound was shit, the crowd was shit and the pop was flat...

There is a drive in theater about 45 minutes away, I use to work at a factory next to it and we would sit in the parking lot and turn the car radio on an watch the movie once a week instead of working.

They closed down the drive in near my home. It completely broke my heart. :|

Usually, I'll see one or two movies a year in theaters, otherwise it's on the couch with the dog and netflix. 

I usually wait for a movie to be released on DVD/BR and then get it from the interweb and watch it on TV. I also watch the interesting ones that get broadcasted on telly. Everything gets stored on an external hard drive.  Think I have about 500ish movies by now + a number of series. As a student I used to go to the cinema a lot, at least once a week, but now that I have a good system at home and a well-sized personal collection of movies to choose from, I can't be arsed anymore. And it's getting bloody expensive too.  Don't know how things are in other countries, but over here a 3D movie can easily cost 12 euro nowadays + parking + food&drinks... That's fine for the occasional masterpiece movie or a night out with the misses, but not worth it for every movie that gets released.

gallery_510_31_23135.jpg

We use Netflix, Popcorn Time, Amazon Prime, movie4k.to and also download anything we can't find on the others listed

19 hours ago, wraignbow said:

I have an Amazon Firestick my cousin side-loaded Kodi on. Works great for movies and tv.

Trying this but it's not working yet. Which add-ons do you use?

Edited by Jesse

3 hours ago, Jesse said:

We use Netflix, Popcorn Time, Amazon Prime, movie4k.to and also download anything we can't find on the others listed

Trying this but it's not working yet. Which add-ons do you use?

I use Phoenix, Genesis, and right now the Exodus add-on is the newest and works best.

On 8-5-2016 at 2:24 AM, wraignbow said:

I use Phoenix, Genesis, and right now the Exodus add-on is the newest and works best.

Got it to work and already using Phoenix & Exodus, will also try Genisis. Thank you :)

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Giving this a bump since the Rate a Movie thread is popular.

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

:default_sign0081:

I’ve been using PSVR to watch a lot of films lately.  Watched Fury Road like that with the biggest screen option and it was frigging awesome.

• Like 2