Earth's Magnetosphere collapsed for 2 hours

Interesting, but I can't find anything about this on leading science journals websites. That's not to say it isn't true but possibly someone in the press has misunderstood and is more alarmed than they need to be (I have personal experience of that happening with some research I did). I'll keep an eye out and see if this does get reported elsewhere. It certainly is true that the Earth's magnetic field does reverse sometimes, on scales of a few hundred thousand years or so.

Edited by djw180

Cheers DJ. Yeah it does sound like something that would be major news, something that you'd expect to be found all over the news, at least in scientific journals.

I've read about reversing of magnetic poles in the past as well and from what I understood, it would certainly cause a few "issues".

I've heard about the magnetic field flip before. How much of it is true I don't know. it's not just the technological world that will be affected. Migratory animals such as birds and lots of sea life depend on magnetic fields for their sense of direction, if the magnetic field flip was such a huge problem then the natural world would be in chaos. 

The worst part of a flip would be the change in North and South. I'd no longer be a proud northerner. I'd be southern and that is not on at all!

It definitely does happen, but not very often in terms of human / animal life spans. It was covered in a course I took once. I think, if I can remember, there is clear evidence in the patterns of rocks on the ocean bed. When it has happened I guess animal species effected just evolve, some may go extinct, some new ones eventually emerge.

Weird, I would think this would be bigger news if it did actually happen, but it makes sense to me in a way, on that day I had worked outside all day (same as I had for several days in a row) and it wasn't really hot out but I ended up with the muscle cramps and nausea like I had been out roofing in 100 degree heat (been there, done that, and know what it feels like). Maybe I got radiated....

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

:default_sign0081:

https://t.co/z7JiGob0fw

i am kind of skeptic when it comes to alarming events like this, idk something seems to be changing in general from my personal perspective but I wouldn't worry too much about this :D

www.ishare4free.com

Please don't be offended, it's a small piece of my mind that I chose to expose...

5 minutes ago, grjkie said:

https://t.co/z7JiGob0fw

i am kind of skeptic when it comes to alarming events like this, idk something seems to be changing in general from my personal perspective but I wouldn't worry too much about this :D

Fair enough, and that helps, now I can convince the wife I work to hard and need a few weeks off :P

• Like 1

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

:default_sign0081:

Whatever the hell is happening I say BRING IT :D (crazy laugh)

www.ishare4free.com

Please don't be offended, it's a small piece of my mind that I chose to expose...

Just a software glitch then, heh, all turned into a doomsday conspiracy by a sentenced white supremacist.

Though news like these could easily be believed nowadays, just look at the weather, temperatures dropped by 15+ degrees C in less than a day here, from sunny warm weather to few inches of snow. :blink:

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, zmurko said:

Just a software glitch then, heh, all turned into a doomsday conspiracy by a sentenced white supremacist.

I was thinking that as well. If you look at the pictures on that site that apparently show the magnetosphere collapse they are labelled 'model'. I know all about models coming up with something apparently interesting that just turns out to be a glitch in the software. Plus if it had happened I'm sure it would have affected navigation systems and we would have heard about airlines cancelling flights because their compasses weren't working.

Edited by djw180

1 hour ago, djw180 said:

Plus if it had happened I'm sure it would have affected navigation systems and we would have heard about airlines cancelling flights because their compasses weren't working.

Could you imagine the chaos if something like this were to happen ?

Edited by Fido_le_muet

3 hours ago, zmurko said:

Good old Hal Turner. He was great at being a nasty racist but seems to be struggling with these conspiracy theories.