Learning French

TECHFL227

I was not sure where to put this topic and was unable to locate if one as already been started. I did locate the topic on which language to learn in high school but didn't know whether to add this onto that one or start new.

Does anyone speak French that would be willing to allow us to reach out to you for help if needed during a high school French I class?

My daughter is starting French I as an online class through Florida Virtual School and is freaking out because we do not know anyone that speaks French that she could go to with questions if needed. She was accepted into the Cambridge AICE program which requires additional work and advanced classes through high school. Our daughter did not want to give up her elective choices so they gave her the option to keep her electives if she took a Foreign Language online through virtual school. She decided that was the route she wanted to take and chose French.

Any help or guidance is much appreciated!

• Like 1

I know a bit of French. I'm only know a handful of vocabulary and others things, so. I wouldn't be much of help.

The only thing I know off the top of my head atm are the verbs. Anything that ends in "ER", "IR", or "RE" is a verb and some of those words are words you know in English such as "placer"-to place

EDIT: Had to edit due to a lot of typos.

Edited by Prodigy_Rocks_
  • Like 2

A quadratic function can be written in vertex form:

f(x) = a( x-h )^2 + k          *^2 means squared*

The vertex form is helpful because it tells you the location of the vertex (h,k); (x,y)

11 minutes ago, Prodigy_Rocks_ said:

I know a bit of French. I'm only know a handful of vocabulary and others things, so ?I wouldn't be much of help.

The only thing I know off the top of me I head atm are the verbs. Anything that ends in "ER", "IR", or "RE" is a verb and some of those words are words you know in English such as "placer"-to place

That's a good way to start. But then come the exceptions :D:D:D

26 minutes ago, Fido_le_muet said:

I'm from France !

Would you be open to us reaching out to you if she needs some help?  She starts next week. Normally she does everything on her own but she feels overwhelmed a little I think. 

I believe Fido is the better choice but I speak French as well if needed... (I fuckin hate it though, sorry Fido)

• Like 3

www.ishare4free.com

Please don't be offended, it's a small piece of my mind that I chose to expose...

19 minutes ago, grjkie said:

I believe Fido is the better choice but I speak French as well if needed... (I fuckin hate it though, sorry Fido)

I see a future XDBX Language camp with paid tutors!

• Like 2

: FIRE :

"If you ride like lightning, you're gonna crash like thunder." - The Place Between The Pines

2 hours ago, Prodigy_Rocks_ said:

I know a bit of French. I'm only know a handful of vocabulary and others things, so. I wouldn't be much of help.

The only thing I know off the top of my head atm are the verbs. Anything that ends in "ER", "IR", or "RE" is a verb and some of those words are words you know in English such as "placer"-to place

EDIT: Had to edit due to a lot of typos.

The French we were taught in school is different from the French the rest of the world. Canadian French is similar to Normal French, but its different enough for a French person to have a laugh at your expense lol. But you definitely could order a poutine in Montreal without to much trouble :D

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Xyon14 said:

The French we were taught in school is different from the French the rest of the world. Canadian French is similar to Normal French, but its different enough for a French person to have a laugh at your expense lol. But you definitely could order a poutine in Montreal without to much trouble :D

My French teacher always stressed that movies that speak French (not subbed) were always better than subbed movies. Mostly because subs are someone interpretation of the French language. 

A quadratic function can be written in vertex form:

f(x) = a( x-h )^2 + k          *^2 means squared*

The vertex form is helpful because it tells you the location of the vertex (h,k); (x,y)

8 hours ago, TECHFL227 said:

Would you be open to us reaching out to you if she needs some help?  She starts next week. Normally she does everything on her own but she feels overwhelmed a little I think. 

No problem at all. I'm happy to help in any way I can.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@TECHFL227I've recently just started to learn spanish and I'm using an app called DuoLingo. You should check it out. I'm finding it really good so far as it teaches you to read, write and speak the language.

scottyb1988.jpg

1 hour ago, ScottyB said:

I've recently just started to learn spanish and I'm using an app called DuoLingo. You should check it out. I'm finding it really good so far as it teaches you to read, write and speak the language.

I've been wanting to learn another language for a long time. I've never been able to decide on one though. I now work with a lot of Vietnamese people that have very poor English, most of which speak no English. I just tried this app, and it's very easy to follow. I'll keep up with the lessons and see how it goes.

Thanks for posting this @ScottyB :)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Skorpion said:

I've been wanting to learn another language for a long time. I've never been able to decide on one though. I now work with a lot of Vietnamese people that have very poor English, most of which speak no English. I just tried this app, and it's very easy to follow. I'll keep up with the lessons and see how it goes.

Thanks for posting this @ScottyB :)

Good luck! I've been doing it for 3 days now and If I see the words that I've learnt in front of me, I'll be able to tell what they are for the most part but I'm struggling to recall them blindly. Obviously that will come but they seem to have a very good amount of repetition to allow the words to sink in, along with the spelling and pronunciation of it.

scottyb1988.jpg

3 minutes ago, ScottyB said:

Good luck! I've been doing it for 3 days now and If I see the words that I've learnt in front of me, I'll be able to tell what they are for the most part but I'm struggling to recall them blindly. Obviously that will come but they seem to have a very good amount of repetition to allow the words to sink in, along with the spelling and pronunciation of it.

Fortunately there are a lot of signs around my work with Vietnamese on them, so that will help as I'm learning those words.

• Like 1