The Future of Consoles?

Just come across this and would like to know people's thoughts. Basically, Microsoft are planning to  make future consoles upgradable like a PC. 

I can see pros and cons for both ways but I hope it doesn't go down this road. If they do, I'd most likely just stick to a PC which will be a lot more powerful than a console will ever be. 

What at are your thoughts?

Xbox are also planning to make their games cross platform.

That would be cool between ps4 and Xbox but PC should probably be left alone because the controls are very different (possibly better once mastered) and of course they are far easier to mod which would be frustrating and bring the worst of the PC to consoles. 

I dont see see this happening anytime soon though. I don't know about all the behind the scenes stuff but there is way too much going on and the consoles wouldn't be powerful enough. Games don't work well enough on their own let alone trying to change the code to work on a different console. 

This is the same reason Sony won't allow you to play older generation games on the ps4, completely different software so it's essentially speaking another language. 

Edited by ScottyB
  • Like 1

scottyb1988.jpg

19 minutes ago, ScottyB said:

Just come across this and would like to know people's thoughts. Basically, Microsoft are planning to  make future consoles upgradable like a PC. 

I can see pros and cons for both ways but I hope it doesn't go down this road. If they do, I'd most likely just stick to a PC which will be a lot more powerful than a console will ever be. 

What at are your thoughts?

Xbox are also planning to make their games cross platform.

That would be cool between ps4 and Xbox but PC should probably be left alone because the controls are very different (possibly better once mastered) and of course they are far easier to mod which would be frustrating and bring the worst of the PC to consoles. 

I dont see see this happening anytime soon though. I don't know about all the behind the scenes stuff but there is way too much going on and the consoles wouldn't be powerful enough. Games don't work well enough on their own let alone trying to change the code to work on a different console. 

This is the same reason Sony won't allow you to play older generation games on the ps4, completely different software so it's essentially speaking another language. 

So, AlienWare and Dell came out with the Alienware Steam Machine, which is a pc for your entertainment system. It comes with a Steam Controller, and you can operate either A) Like a console, it loads up right into Steams "Big Picture" mode. or you can go into "Desktop" mode and run it exactly as a PC. XBox and PS4 need to compete with this. 

I had an alienware Alpha in my house for the past week, (JUst got sent back today, it was an accidental send to me from Dell) and it is the better version of the steam machine. A Console system. Had a better graphics card (two grades higher) then my current pc, and a few generations older i7 processer, then the one i have in my PC. I loaded it up, and put Star Wars: The Old Republic on it to compare. On my Gaming Tower, I can run Ultra Graphics, at 30 fps in 16 man warzones (pvp.) and get 60 fps on medium, steady. On the Alienware, I got an average of 2 FPS on ultra, and 30 max on lowest graphics settings. 

Steam Machine Here http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-steam-machine/pd?ref=PD_OC

Yes, Microsoft and Sony will have to counter these future "PC Consoles," but I think the worry isn't quite there yet.

Edited by lIIlCompleXlIIl
  • Like 2

I was actually weighing whether to purchase The Shield, Alien Ware Alpha or a PS4 back when the Steam Machines launched,

My choice was obviously clear, but for Xbox One going in this direction will lead to its demise and a shake up in console generations to come.

Nintendo is also planning on taking a similar route to upgrade parts in their upcoming console and the question everybody might be asking themselves is

why not just get a proper PC or Steam Machine, depending on the value for dollar features, capabilities and productivity that one can achieve.

12 hours ago, ScottyB said:

There was one key fact I noticed about the build of the PS4 & XBone. Both are based on x86 architechture. For those of you who aren't sure what it means it's basically the same same system being used on PC's for many years. This is why the PS4 isn't compatible with older versions but it does mean that the 3 systems are all loosely based around the same hardware so future co-op play is definitely a reality.

Makes little sense, just buy a gaming PC, right?

To be fair, I don't think PS4 and XB1 are similar and I can't see it happening, XB1 is currently maxed on a lot of games, while PS4 has a bit of room to play with. Take the recent news that DX12 can now be used in console gaming, it'd only help XB1 get 1080p (which it doesn't natively have), but the same addition can boost PS4 capabilities by 30-40% in some instances according to devs of a certain game.

Microsoft giving permission and making an upgradeable console is basically like saying "We made shit one, but here, you guys have a go".

Nvidia Shield isn't bad, I played one for about 40 minutes and really enjoyed it.

I guess PS4 and XB1 are already upgrabeable, but we're not in full control.

Furdog already made a thread about cross-console play.

Edited by DavidCore89

Well, if I were to game on a PC. I'd build my own. If the PS4 or the replacement became upgradable, I'd only go for it if the same security would be in place as far as hackability went.

I only grow in living soil!
Because Fat Buds Matter!

GTA V on PS4 is what? 30fps max? and xbox1 max res is 720? I love my gaming PC. I do think that if XBox and Sony try to compete with Steam Machines and the like, PC will take over the console war lol. 

The whole reason I have a console is so I don't have to constantly upgrade it for the newest games.

I don't want to have to learn how to build and program and make it all work. I just want to put in a disc and play, otherwise it becomes another job.

• Like 10

That's why I don't play games on PC (except Football Manager online leagues and a bit of Truck Sim).

My PC is more than capable, but I like the safety of knowing that my main hardware (PS4) is good until the next one comes along, a PC would have already run into a lot of costs during that time to be able to run the very latest games at the best possible settings.

I've also played PlayStation from late '97, had them all (including some variable models) and I doubt that'll change.

I had the first Xbox as well and I didn't like it, I didn't care that it could store music, the controller for the PlayStation has spent a lot of time in my hands over the years and it's general shape has remained the same, a different shape and layout makes my reactions much slower and it was awkward when the game prompted me to press 'Y' and then I had to look down at the controller like a beginner.

PS4 hasn't reached it's full capability yet and the VR will be awesome.

Edited by DavidCore89
  • Like 1