How to remove a pest

Squirrel

This evening I was just fetching myself another beer and it seems that I have a housemate that I didn't know about. 

Little mouse just sat in my kitchen stealing my crumbs. Personally they don't bother me but I can just imagine the reaction any date I bring home will have when seeing the little furball.

Sorry little buddy you're not getting in the way of me and my ladies!

Getting a cat isn't an option so I'm going to have to trap him and any of his little mates. What do you recommend as a crew of the most effective way of getting rid of an unwanted rodent?

I don't need anyone to point out that a squirrel is also a rodent! Only room for one of us in this house!

Edited by Squirrel_Army
  • Like 2

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Squirrel

• G37

• Lann

• Beez

Top Posters In This Topic

Trapp (cage version to avoid a mess) and poison should do it short and long term.

Probably your insurance company or the house owner can fix it as well, less work for you.

Edited by Lann3

Other things like keeping food sealed/covered/out of the open .. common things like vacuuming every so often, being neat, etc help deter them and bugs.

Might also be worth while like was already mentioned to have a professional/maintenance/whatever take a look and make sure there's no obvious ways for them to get in because that's a mouse. That fucker got in somehow.

: FIRE :

"If you ride like lightning, you're gonna crash like thunder." - The Place Between The Pines

What G said. Have a pro check the place out cause he came in from some place. Though, for the most part, Mice are near unstoppable. They can squeeze through most any opening.

I would use a trap rather than poison. A poisoned rodent just climbs back into your walls to die. If you have never smelled a dead Mouse you know that they stink VERY badly. Imagine having to put up with for a week?

BB gun, sit in the corner all camo'ed up at night with a mouse call then put one between his eyes.

• Like 10

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

:default_sign0081:

BURN IT WITH FIRE.

*cough* Yea they tend to die in unreachable places with poison. Plus they tend to vomit leaving blood trails... It also makes them thirsty which may cause them to chew through the water pipe in the dishwasher causing your kitchen to flood... never again @.@

They like peanut butter. If it's a baby it might not be heavy enough to set off traditional wood and wire snap traps.

• Like 1

Some of you I knew were destructive.

Some of you, I didn't.  : MIAO :

• Like 2

: FIRE :

"If you ride like lightning, you're gonna crash like thunder." - The Place Between The Pines

I would loan you one of my cats (Blackie Chan is good at killing lizards) for a day or two if you were closer.  Otherwise, my only suggestion is one of those wooden traps.  

Could just be the perfect opportunity to dress like a cat, bring out the over-sized mallet and play a round or two of Tom and Jerry.

Edited by DavidCore89
  • Like 5

Could just be the perfect opportunity to dress like a cat, bring out the over-sized mallet and play a round or two of Tom and Jerry.

I've already decided to name him Jerry, unfortunately he is going to meet with an untimely but quick and humane death!

• Consigliere

There's a type of plastic trap with the bait/scent already in it, which is only attractive to mice, that we had to get when our cat refused to do his job! It's better than the old wood and wire trap, as it kills the mouse instantaneously by crushing it when the trap snaps shut. I don't know the brand name, I'm afraid, since I threw away the packaging. They're not that expensive either.

If you have an idea of the area the mouse appears in, just put a couple of traps on the floor up against the wall that the mouse is most likely to be running along. BAM! Job done!

This little rascal is getting ballsy. I've got some traps on the way but managed to corner him in my kitchen earlier. Tried to usher him out of the door but he made a run for it under the freezer instead.

Now I'm just watching Return of the Jedi and he's come out in the open and walking on my coffee table. At least I hope its the same one, won't be impressed if there's a few.

220px-Victor-Mousetrap.jpg+ peanut butter

Cheap, effective, re-usable, no poison that kids or pets can get into and the mouse is dead in the trap not in your wall.

I got 2 last night in my basement.

• Like 1

I was pretty impressed with the team work and efficiency of my two cats with our little uninvited guest. Then I tried to help... it's a long story but the little guy ended up running up my pant leg. No harm done, and I'm 99% sure we ushered him out the back door. :D

• Like 1

220px-Victor-Mousetrap.jpg+ peanut butter

Cheap, effective, re-usable, no poison that kids or pets can get into and the mouse is dead in the trap not in your wall.

I got 2 last night in my basement.

This method works like a charm.  I once caught one living behind my water heater.

• 8 months later...

I've not seen my little rodent friend recently, must only be interested in my house when it's cold outside however I've just seen his big brother. First of all I heard him under my kitchen sink where he was making a nest out of all my spare plastic bags (who said recycling was a good thing) 

I was amazed by the amount of droppings but apparently a rat can leave 80 of them in a day so it could be about right for an afternoons work. I've cleared his nest. Sprayed it all with bleach and ordered some nice big traps. Hopefully I've caught it early enough and he won't be thinking my house is a nice place to live. 

Going to talk to my landlord to see if he can do anything about all the holes in the house but its not likely due to the age of the street, apparently rodents are a huge problem in the area. Something to do with a timber sawmill in the same street with lots of wood chippings attracting them.

• 1 month later...

The fight between Squirrel and Rat has taken a new turn. Not only is the Rat ignoring all traps aimed at catching it, it has now chewed through the water pipe under the sink in an attempt to find a water source after I have removed all potential food and water supplies. 

• Like 1

Pail of water with a round stick covered in peanut butter. Looks for the water finds PB on stick eats a bit, tries to get more, falls in water and drowns !

• Like 1