Need advice on what phone to get

PrancingSkeleton

What's with this iPhone and Android crap. These phones are all overrated. If you don't want any problems get something like this (if you can still find one) . :D

41XZPPBMDHL.jpg

Literally my favorite phone of all time. I've had like 3-4 of them. If I could get away from using the browser on a smart phone I'd have another, but with my current phone plan it actually wouldn't save me any money to get something as basic other than the initial phone cost.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jaggy

• Squirrel

• PrancingSkeleton

• zztop911

I really don't get some people's obsession with phones and I've always had a cell phone, beginning in the "bag phone" days. I have a new no contract Asus Zenphone 2. It works outstanding and it's CHEAP!

I only grow in living soil!
Because Fat Buds Matter!

I really don't get some people's obsession with phones and I've always had a cell phone, beginning in the "bag phone" days. I have a new no contract Asus Zenphone 2. It works outstanding and it's CHEAP!

No contract is the best way to go.  Sprint just recently announced they aren't doing contracts anymore either.  I wish more companies were contract free. 

If you don't like your iPhone go Galaxy. But I have an iPhone 5S and I will be getting the 7 when it comes out. My phones jail broken so I really don't have any restrictions :)

I'd like to update my dinosaur smartphone (Kyocera), but I refuse to pay some of these prices they are asking for a phone.  I also refuse to sign a contract--I did that with Verizon for years and it was an expensive hassle.  Honestly, at this point, I'd consider anything that is less than $150, but the reason I have kept the one I have now is because it has a keyboard.  I really, really dislike touch screen keyboards and I find it alarming that built-in keyboards are nearly extinct.  :angry:

I am probably in the extreme minority, but I have only owned a total of five cell phones since the year 2001 (when I finally gave in and started carrying one).  Before that, I only had a landline.  Yes, a landline.  :o

What's with this iPhone and Android crap. These phones are all overrated. If you don't want any problems get something like this (if you can still find one) . :D

41XZPPBMDHL.jpg

Reminds me of my 1st phone. Get ready for this bad boy......

d12qybvw34sclnoosdri.jpg

I would recommend avoiding windows phones atm, they are cheaper have really good specs but there is not nearly enough apps and support for them yet.

I've had an iphone s5 in the past, i dont like restrictions with them (could jailbreak it I guess if your into that sort of thing). i like to use my own apps and customize as much as i can and i found apple to be lacking in all these respects. the only thing i liked was that some apps/games came out on ios months before they did on android but its not enough of a selling point for me!

i recommend android, much more support and insane amounts of apps! if you havn't used android before try something nice and simple like a huawei y550 or y330 or something and then your not committing to much money before you make up your mind! then if you really like them go with samsung or HTC or stick with the cheaper, higher specifications Huawei phones!

HTC sensation xe has some of the greatest sound quality i've ever heard on a phone if your into using it as an mp3 player!

can't go wrong with most samsung galaxies aswell

Huawei ascend for a high end phones that are cheaper than their counterparts!

My GF has a sony experia that she swears by now, it was about 120 euro ill ask her which model it was when shes back!

I'd like to update my dinosaur smartphone (Kyocera), but I refuse to pay some of these prices they are asking for a phone.  I also refuse to sign a contract--I did that with Verizon for years and it was an expensive hassle.  Honestly, at this point, I'd consider anything that is less than $150, but the reason I have kept the one I have now is because it has a keyboard.  I really, really dislike touch screen keyboards and I find it alarming that built-in keyboards are nearly extinct.  :angry:

I am probably in the extreme minority, but I have only owned a total of five cell phones since the year 2001 (when I finally gave in and started carrying one).  Before that, I only had a landline.  Yes, a landline.  :o

Blackberry is your friend then sir! they all have keyboards afaik!

Edited by Pen0sIRE
  • Like 1

Competitive Thursday, TDM madness 8pm GMT

If you have coverage in your area, AT&T now has the Asus Zenphone 2 as one of their no contract Go Phones. It's $119 and I think a great value. It's an amazing phone for the price.

http://www.att.com/cellphones/asus/zenfone-2e-prepaid.html#sku=sku7660272

Because Fat Buds Matter!

Blackberry is a waste of money for LN.  He would not use it how a typical BB person uses it.  

Get a touch screen, LN.  It's not as scary as it sounds.  I used to love my Sidekick (yes, I had one!) and I thought typing on it was fast until I got an Android with Swype.  :D

Hmm, I did find this Blackberry and I want it.  It's called the Venice, but it's not out until November.  Jag is probably right in that I wouldn't use it in the same fashion as a typical Blackberry user (what do they use it for though?), but it looks nice and it's sort of an Android/Blackberry hybrid.  I think I have found my new phone provided it doesn't cost a fortune and I don't have to sign a contract.

The link to the phone ZZ posted looks nice, but yeah, touch screen is definitely scary to me.  I always press the wrong keys and it just feels incredibly awkward and leaves me frustrated.  When I use a tablet, I pretty much always reach for a stylus to ensure that the process is less of a hassle. :P

If Blackberry is putting Google Play on their phones, then it's a good idea to buy one if that's what you really want.  However, I always found Blackberry to be a huge cluttered mess, kind of like the iPhone.  Personal preference.  The last Blackberry I owned was back in 2009.  Will never buy another one again because, honestly, they just aren't worth the price tag.

I can't even remember the last time I've seen someone using a Blackberry in the past few years.  I've seen Blackberry's used on House of Cards for the politicians and business owners, but that's about it.

They are pricey, by the way, so don't expect to one to fit in your price range.

http://store.shopblackberry.com/store/bbrryus/en_US/DisplayCategoryProductListPage/ThemeID.32403100/categoryID.66826200/sort.displayName%20ascending

The main reason people had blackberries was for the free BBM service. Now with whatsapp and kik as well as facebook messenger the need for blackberries died off. For businesses they were the original smartphone but they have now been surpassed in all departments by other makes. I'm sure I read that they were giving up on the domestic market and solely concentrating on business.

• Like 1

What Squirrel said.  :lol:

If someone told me I could have a Blackberry or iPhone for free... I'd pick the iPhone.  The Blackberry phones are really chunky too.  From what I've noticed, most have smaller screens than the iPhone/Android phones too.

Hmm, I did find this Blackberry and I want it.  It's called the Venice, but it's not out until November.  Jag is probably right in that I wouldn't use it in the same fashion as a typical Blackberry user (what do they use it for though?), but it looks nice and it's sort of an Android/Blackberry hybrid.  I think I have found my new phone provided it doesn't cost a fortune and I don't have to sign a contract.

The link to the phone ZZ posted looks nice, but yeah, touch screen is definitely scary to me.  I always press the wrong keys and it just feels incredibly awkward and leaves me frustrated.  When I use a tablet, I pretty much always reach for a stylus to ensure that the process is less of a hassle. :P

I have big hands and it's a good size screen. I don't hit wrong buttons. I didn't like the idea of a touch screen phone, but I like it now, but not on a laptop.

Because Fat Buds Matter!

I have a Galaxy S6 and I love it to pieces. Great battery life, charges crazy fast. Handles apps and games great. I play a lot of MCPE and it runs smooth as silk. :)

Edited by UberL33tPwner69

UberL33tPwner69_XDBX_Sig.png

I don't mind the larger sized phones.  They do seem a bit expensive though and all I ever use my phone for is calling, texting, and visiting this site and a couple of others.  You could also add the map navigation feature to my list of must haves and I really enjoy the application that will listen to a song that is playing and tell you what it is--I believe it is SoundHound or something like that.  As long as I can do all of that and be able to type quickly, coherently, and read and post things online, I'm set. ;)

Edited by LN-MLB

Thanks everyone for the advice, I really appreciate it. I've chosen to go with the S6, as it seems to fit my needs the most. I got it yesterday and I think I made the right choice. I absolutely love tbis phone. Thanks again for all the advice :)

• Like 1