Need advice on what phone to get

PrancingSkeleton

So I'm getting a new phone and I was asking my friends for advice. Almost all of them said that getting the iPhone 6 is the best choice. So, I need a little more advice to really know what's the best phone. Right now, I have the iPhone 5, which I absolutely hate. I'm leaning towards Android, more specifically the Galaxy S6. So yeah, if you have any advice on what phone I should get it would be much appreciated :D

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jaggy

• Squirrel

• PrancingSkeleton

• zztop911

My 1st answer was going to be the iPhone 6. But if you hate the 5 then chances are you'll hate the 6 but that also depends on your reasons for hating it. I have both so can give a fair comparison. When my original 6 was stolen I had to use my 5 for a few weeks and I hated it, couldn't wait to get my 6 back.

iPhone's are the devil.  Anything Apple is the devil.  Honestly, I loved my S4 when I had it.  Only got rid of it because T-Mobile stopped working out in BFE.  I heard the S6 didn't allow you to add your own SD card to expand the memory, if that's true, why not just get an S4 or S5?  Those will both be loads cheaper since the newest model is the S6.  And let's face it, Samsung doesn't really change much between all of the Galaxy models.  If I was in the market for a new phone, I'd get a Samsung Galaxy S4 again.  That's just me.  Android is what I am used to and that's why I suggest it.  I hate anything Apple with a passion.

• Like 2

Neither of those.

iPhones restrict the owners too much IMO.

I quite like the Sony Xperia Z3+, it's pretty cool for remote play PS4 using the DS4 controller as well.

So it does everything the other big boys do, for less price and none of those other phones can allow PS4 gaming  :).

• Like 1

I used to be like you Jag, last phone I ever wanted was an iPhone. Then I used one and was hooked, I'm now on my 4th one. Samsung copied the iPhone a few generations back and it's hardly changed since.

For a fair comparison, you really need to know what works for you and what you need it for.

The OS on iPhones is pretty much the same all the way through, one of the downsides though is that the OS does become more powerful than the phone quite quickly. If you have the latest iOS on an older phone model its a real drain on the memory and battery life. Basic advice is that unless you have the latest iPhone then try not to update your software. 

If you do want a 6 then the 6S will be out in September with some fantastic features, this does mean the 6 will drop in price slightly at that time but not by a lot.

Neither of those.

I quite like the Sony Xperia Z3+, it's pretty cool for remote play PS4 using the DS4 controller as well.

So it does everything the other big boys do, for less price and none of those other phones can allow PS4 gaming  :).

That looks like an iPhone.

Not sure if we have those available here.  We probably do, just never seen one.  Looks nice.

I used to be like you Jag, last phone I ever wanted was an iPhone. Then I used one and was hooked, I'm now on my 4th one. Samsung copied the iPhone a few generations back and it's hardly changed since.

For a fair comparison, you really need to know what works for you and what you need it for.

The OS on iPhones is pretty much the same all the way through, one of the downsides though is that the OS does become more powerful than the phone quite quickly. If you have the latest iOS on an older phone model its a real drain on the memory and battery life. Basic advice is that unless you have the latest iPhone then try not to update your software. 

If you do want a 6 then the 6S will be out in September with some fantastic features, this does mean the 6 will drop in price slightly at that time but not by a lot.

I hate how the iPhone is set up.  I played around with Torrid's when he had one and I hated it.  I hate his iPad too.  I'm just a Samsung/Android girl.

• Like 1

That looks like an iPhone.

Not sure if we have those available here.  We probably do, just never seen one.  Looks nice.

It does a bit, I don't mind iPhone looks, but it's too secure for me.

• Like 1

One thing the iPhone is behind on is weatherproofing, my intern has a new Sony and she keeps dropping it in her drinks to wind me up.

Yeah, it's waterproof enough to wash it in the sink too.

I once tried an Apple product, was dissappointed and felt ripped off (iPhone 4)

Only had Android since the smartphone era started besides that one iPhone.

Pretty much any Android is good, although, Samsung is filled with alot of bloat you can't get rid off unless you push Cyanogenmod on it, which can be hard to install depending on skills.

It also depends on what you are looking for in a good phone, Camera? ease of use? freedom over anything? Hardware capabilities?

In the end it depends on what you want

I currently own a Galaxy S4+, which I've had for 2+ years, and cannot see any reason to upgrade to 5/6 cause today, the S4, and even the S3 still holds up very well, even with Lollipop OS.

I will recommend:

Camera as 1st priority: Galaxy S6

Waterproof as 1st priority: Sony Xperia Z3+

Freedom over anything: Nexus 6 or OnePlusOne (Like half the price of other smartphones, and same hardware, money is saved from advertisement) - I am getting this next!

Don't care about apps, just want an easy working phone?: Nokia Lumia 930

Big Screen: LG G4, decent phone

Overall good phone: HTC One M8/M9

That's my 2 cents

One thing the iPhone is behind on is weatherproofing, my intern has a new Sony and she keeps dropping it in her drinks to wind me up.

Not to talk about the ridiculously old hardware it's running compared to, well, every single other phone!

Edited by Haste
  • Like 3

b2ExQd1.png

I like iPhones. They're simple and have a great interface. Problem with them is 2 things:

1. Their cost. They're simply WAY too much and here in the States for the price of mobile devices I wouldn't be surprised if you have to take out a loan to get one in the future. Depending on carrier, contract and model/deal you can spend as much as $200 for a base iPhone. These deals are contingent upon you signing a 2 YEAR contract with said carrier to get said discount. I hate .. HATE being locked into that kind of shit. Since leasing cars is becoming more and more popular again .. guess what? You can legitimately "lease" a fucking phone now. You can then "trade" it in later for the next phone, of course paying for the upgrade each time. So not only are you paying a monthly fee for your phone, you're paying it to not keep it. It's one thing to do that with a $30K vehicle, but a phone? Really? That's a side tangent though, will really apply to any phone here.

2. Technology. Don't let Apple fool you. What they tout around as the "latest and greatest" was introduced 1-3 years earlier by other manufacturers who likely do it better.

Now I'm not saying iPhones suck, because they don't. They still have the best touch interface out of any phone today and has an incredible app store IMO. But you are paying a certain premium for a certain brand cache that may or may not be based on the actual devices anymore but a certain intangible feeling of belonging. Like buying a BMW for the pedigree of a performance vehicle that may or may not have the pedigree it's supposed to. Ultimately you need to sort of weigh what you want out of a phone .. yeah, it's a culture, can you believe it?

I like many Androids as well and depending on your carrier, you can get them for cheaper and possibly without a contract (because if you go in without a contract, you're paying FULL MSRP of it .. so for an iPhone, this EASILY dips into the $1K mark .. for a phone). 

Some favorites include:

- One Plus One (the next iteration is almost here)

- HTC ONE (M9)

- Nexus 6

- LG G4

I like these websites for checking out phones:

http://www.gsmarena.com/oneplus_one-6327.php

http://bgr.com

http://www.androidcentral.com

Edited by G37
  • Like 2

: FIRE :

"If you ride like lightning, you're gonna crash like thunder." - The Place Between The Pines

I'd say Android too and I loved my iPhone 5. The new one just seems ridiculous to me and I bought an iPad because I liked the 5. To be honest I'd be happier with a basic Android tablet most likely. The lack of menu customization isn't a big deal on a 4" screen, but it's infuriating on a 10" screen. I'm not much of an app guy outside of a couple of games so that isn't a selling point to me over Android.

Just my personal opinion, I'm with squirrel, I never thought I'd enjoy a smartphone this much until I've had my first iPhone. I've since changed devices, I've had androids as well and they are nice but my personal preference leans towards the iPhone all the time. Any iPhone is customizable once you get around Apple's restrictions so yeah even though I enjoyed having an s4 I prefer the iPhone by far :D

www.ishare4free.com

Please don't be offended, it's a small piece of my mind that I chose to expose...

My 1st answer was going to be the iPhone 6. But if you hate the 5 then chances are you'll hate the 6 but that also depends on your reasons for hating it. I have both so can give a fair comparison. When my original 6 was stolen I had to use my 5 for a few weeks and I hated it, couldn't wait to get my 6 back.

I hate the 5 mostly for its horrible battery life (2 hours, 3 max), iOS and the small screen. The 6 seems to fix two of the problems, but iOS is something I hate, especially on phones. The only problem is that I have an iPad for school and a Mac so I don't know how much trouble the switch will bring me.

iPhone's are the devil.  Anything Apple is the devil.  Honestly, I loved my S4 when I had it.  Only got rid of it because T-Mobile stopped working out in BFE.  I heard the S6 didn't allow you to add your own SD card to expand the memory, if that's true, why not just get an S4 or S5?  Those will both be loads cheaper since the newest model is the S6.  And let's face it, Samsung doesn't really change much between all of the Galaxy models.  If I was in the market for a new phone, I'd get a Samsung Galaxy S4 again.  That's just me.  Android is what I am used to and that's why I suggest it.  I hate anything Apple with a passion.

Money isn't really an issue, my parents just want me to get a phone that I like. The memory expansion doesn't really affect me since I'm not used to it. Anyways, the S6 comes with minimum 32GB of memory. The iPhone I have now only has 16GB, and I never ran out of space. My cousin has the S4 too and she says she likes it.

Neither of those.

So it does everything the other big boys do, for less price and none of those other phones can allow PS4 gaming   :).

Thanks David, I never really considered the Sony. Playing PS4 games on a phone isn't really my thing, though. If I had a Sony tablet the Remote Play would be a really cool feature. I'll definitely look into it though. I also totally agree with you on the fact that iOS restricts us too much. I don't know if you knew about this but iOS 8.3 restricted people from accessing their game files on programs like iFunbox or iExplorer.

Thanks Squirrel. A major factor for me in deciding what phone I should get is the OS, thats why I'm considering the switch to Android. And yes, I have iOS 9 Public Beta 2, which drains my battery quickly. Low Power Mode increases the battery by around 45 minutes, which isn't anything too impressive. 

I don't usually drop my phone in water or drop it at all, so that doesn't really make a difference for me :D

I once tried an Apple product, was dissappointed and felt ripped off (iPhone 4)

Only had Android since the smartphone era started besides that one iPhone.

Pretty much any Android is good, although, Samsung is filled with alot of bloat you can't get rid off unless you push Cyanogenmod on it, which can be hard to install depending on skills.

It also depends on what you are looking for in a good phone, Camera? ease of use? freedom over anything? Hardware capabilities?

In the end it depends on what you want

I currently own a Galaxy S4+, which I've had for 2+ years, and cannot see any reason to upgrade to 5/6 cause today, the S4, and even the S3 still holds up very well, even with Lollipop OS.

I will recommend:

Camera as 1st priority: Galaxy S6

Waterproof as 1st priority: Sony Xperia Z3+

Freedom over anything: Nexus 6 or OnePlusOne (Like half the price of other smartphones, and same hardware, money is saved from advertisement) - I am getting this next!

Don't care about apps, just want an easy working phone?: Nokia Lumia 930

Big Screen: LG G4, decent phone

Overall good phone: HTC One M8/M9

That's my 2 cents

Not to talk about the ridiculously old hardware it's running compared to, well, every single other phone!

Thanks Haste. Probably the most important things for me are the battery life, hardware, and operating system. The screen should be around 5 inches, which is like the standard today. For the OnePlusOne, I don't know if it's available in Canada, since I didn't see it in stores. I will look into the M9 and the Nexus 6, too. 

I like iPhones. They're simple and have a great interface. Problem with them is 2 things:

1. Their cost. They're simply WAY too much and here in the States for the price of mobile devices I wouldn't be surprised if you have to take out a loan to get one in the future. Depending on carrier, contract and model/deal you can spend as much as $200 for a base iPhone. These deals are contingent upon you signing a 2 YEAR contract with said carrier to get said discount. I hate .. HATE being locked into that kind of shit. Since leasing cars is becoming more and more popular again .. guess what? You can legitimately "lease" a fucking phone now. You can then "trade" it in later for the next phone, of course paying for the upgrade each time. So not only are you paying a monthly fee for your phone, you're paying it to not keep it. It's one thing to do that with a $30K vehicle, but a phone? Really? That's a side tangent though, will really apply to any phone here.

2. Technology. Don't let Apple fool you. What they tout around as the "latest and greatest" was introduced 1-3 years earlier by other manufacturers who likely do it better.

Now I'm not saying iPhones suck, because they don't. They still have the best touch interface out of any phone today and has an incredible app store IMO. But you are paying a certain premium for a certain brand cache that may or may not be based on the actual devices anymore but a certain intangible feeling of belonging. Like buying a BMW for the pedigree of a performance vehicle that may or may not have the pedigree it's supposed to. Ultimately you need to sort of weigh what you want out of a phone .. yeah, it's a culture, can you believe it?

I like many Androids as well and depending on your carrier, you can get them for cheaper and possibly without a contract (because if you go in without a contract, you're paying FULL MSRP of it .. so for an iPhone, this EASILY dips into the $1K mark .. for a phone). 

Some favorites include:

- One Plus One (the next iteration is almost here)

- HTC ONE (M9)

- Nexus 6

- LG G4

I like these websites for checking out phones:

http://www.gsmarena.com/oneplus_one-6327.php

http://bgr.com

http://www.androidcentral.com

The prices are a little bit higher in Canada. the base iPhone 6 (16GB) costs $350 at Bell. Money isn't really an issue though. My parents don't mind paying a big price as long as I take care of the phone and I like it. And yeah, I see what you mean. Most people at my school have iPhones, just to show everyone how rich they are, even when they're not. I don't care about the brand, as long as I like the phone.

You do forget the iPhones greatest selling point.

It's an iPhone.

Don't think I'm putting up much of a fight here....

:lol:

We have no contract phones (both Androids) and they cost us $150 a piece up front.  Our phone bills are about $30 per month, per phone.  When we were with T-Mobile (also no contract), we bought the phones outright, like G stated above, and it was so damn pricey.  However, they were our phones to do whatever we pleased with.  We sold them both when we left T-Mobile.  I don't jump on the Apple train, because quite honestly, I don't care who has what phone.  You don't get a special award for standing outside of an Apple store to buy the latest, 'greatest', overpriced smartphone the day it came out.

If money isn't an issue, buy what you want and you like.  Most people aren't going to see what kind of phone you have unless you flash it around and yell, "Look at me!  Look at me!"

I really want another S4, but there's no purpose of me spending $330 (per my carrier's website) on a phone that does exactly what my $150 phone does.

I hate the 5 mostly for its horrible battery life (2 hours, 3 max), iOS and the small screen. The 6 seems to fix two of the problems, but iOS is something I hate, especially on phones. The only problem is that I have an iPad for school and a Mac so I don't know how much trouble the switch will bring me.

The battery life on the 6 is incredible compared to the previous iPhones. The 6S will be even better apparently.

Where apple does excel is transferring of your apps between other devices and upgrades. If you're using other apple products then I see it as a real no brainer to keep the same operating system as your school work. It's very easy to synchronise everything, I wouldn't like to attempt to link an android phone with a mac even though iPhone to PC is easy

As for costs, my phone alone costs me £20 a month for two years. Contract is separate but with 4G and a high data allowance it's pretty good. I will be able to sell it on again for around £200 but that means it still loses 2/3 of its value in a couple of years and thats only if it remains in perfect condition.

PrancingSkeleton, also keep in mind that the new iPhone 6/6+ will be replaced with the newer model in a few months (maybe October?). Usually the 1 year change is a small bump in processor speed and rumored memory bump. With this being said, you can probably get the current model for a bit cheaper when the new model comes out. I know it's not a problem as your parents are paying for it but saving them some money is never a bad thing, unless you want the new model.

I've used iOS, Android and Windows Phone and they all have their strengths and weaknesses.

iOS - Since you already have an iPad and Mac you would probably get the best experience getting an iPhone as they would all work well together.

Andoid - Gettiing an Android gets you the most options in terms of hardware and software in what you can do with it. There are a ton of changes you can make to Android that you just can't do with other phones all with having the same apps available, for the most part. There may be a few apps on iOS that are not on Android.

Windows Phone - Well, I can't really say much about it. I have one and I think it's a great phone and will get another one when able. I don't do everything with it that most people do. I go online, makes calls and text with it, with a few time wasting games inbetween. There are not much choices on hardware at the moment as a high-end phone hasn't been released in over a year. Also, there are not as many apps for Windows Phone that are avaialble for the other 2.

kQ4fIRp.png

What's with this iPhone and Android crap. These phones are all overrated. If you don't want any problems get something like this (if you can still find one) . :D

41XZPPBMDHL.jpg

• Like 1

What's with this iPhone and Android crap. These phones are all overrated. If you don't want any problems get something like this (if you can still find one) . :D

41XZPPBMDHL.jpg

I had the hot pink (surpirse!) RAZR back in the day.  :P

Shoulda read thru this earlier today lol. Have always been a android guy and wife juat followed along. She just switched to a iphone 6 plus today because we bought our daughter ipad mini plus her niece n nephew have ipods they can all text and what not. I was cool with her getting it because i assume it will help with daughters tablet. I had the galaxy s4 and upgraded to the s6 edge 6 plus which is being released in few days and then shipped to me. With the whole att next program both my phone and my wifes are almost same amount as we where paying for the s4 so bill doesnt go up for that maybe 2 dollars and then 10 bucks a month for daughters ipad mini now but that isnt bad

Haha some funny comments here. It's almost like talking about politics comparing Apple and Samsung :P

I haven't had an android phone so I can't compare, but I like the iPhone. As G pointed out, they are over priced and don't have as many features and aren't as powerful as some of the other phones out there.

You need to consider what you want from the phone and what you will be mainly using it for.

One thing that wasn't mentioned and you need to consider is the compatibility. You said you have a Mac and an iPad, so an iPhone would seem like the better choice so that they can all sync up easily (if you will use it like that). The other thing is the music. I feel virtually trapped with an iPhone because I don't know if I can change all the music I have from iTunes over to any other phone. iTunes works well enough so I have no need to change it but if I ever wanted to i could potentially lose the music, or have to put a lot of effort in to changing it to another media player.

I don't know how it works though so it could be an easy transfer, but something to consider nevertheless.

scottyb1988.jpg