HALP! BeStESt WeApOn ChOiCe....

Pb76

.......for a large map.

(Sorry for the ridiculous topic title)

Anyhoo, it's been a while since I made a DM and I've never made a 'serious' one, like, ever. I would like some advice regarding weapon choice (starting and pickups) for a large map to keep it balanced.

TIA

Personally, my favourites for long distance PvP would have to be the Advanced Rifle, and the heavy sniper.. But they are quite powerful weapons, for a TDM the best weapons in my opinion would be just a standard AK47 (Assault Rifle) and the weaker sniper rifle otherwise it's way too easy to kill someone. 

• Like 2

Depends on the map, what cover you have, how big the map is etc. A big map could mean multiple city blocks or long range stuff which would obviously require different weapons.

It also depends on how you want the map to play out and what you're trying to achieve.

Personally I try to keep things as balanced as possible, meaning both teams will have access to the same weapons and can get to them in the same time. I also try to avoid significantly more powerful weapons (like advanced rifles) when you have a lower powered starting weapon like a pistol. Unless there are adequate pick ups of the advanced rifle, it means there is a good chance one team can dominate with the advanced rifle while the other team tries to take them down with a pistol.

I also prefer to use lower powered weapons (usually the lowest in each class) so it means you get more of a chance to shoot at each other and more time to react if you're getting shot. That's just my preference but I do also use more powerful weapons depending on the map and the feel I want for it.

It's hard to give a proper answer on what weapons to use without knowing the area or map, but you could have something like this; start with an smg, have assault rifle pickups and also sniper rifle pickups. Grenades are always handy but having to many might annoy some people, but depending on the range they may be of no use anyway. I like to add an RPG or 2 in the centre of the map so that it gives players an incentive to move around and head towards a certain area where the majority of the fighting is to take place.

The assault rifle is better than the smg, but not enough to completely dominate them so they still stand a chance. Depending on how much cover there is on the map, you could use a heavy sniper instead. You get less ammo with a heavy sniper, but it only takes one shot (usually) to kill them. The more cover there is, the less likely you are to get 2 shots off into them meaning sniping will be almost useless which is why a heavy sniper will be ok. On the other hand if there is not much cover or large open spaces, a normal sniper will be better suited.

The RPG is useful, but as long as there isn't too many it won't end up With people spamming rockets since you only get 5 rockets and most people aren't too accurate with them so it makes it fun to use without taking over the deathmatch.

The other weapon I forgot to mention was the MG and combat MG. These are the long range rifles which have a slightly slower fire rate, but can shoot a lot further than the assault rifle. Their accuracy isn't great due to the recoil so they can be challenging to use which can be a good thing. I think in the latest update they have made both MGs more powerful but they can be a good alternative or addition to the assault rifle depending on the size of the map and distance between cover/open spaces. Most people won't use the MG if the assault rifle is available to them so that's another thing to think about.

Once you make it, let me know and I can test it out and provide more specific feedback for you. I'm sure you have more than enough to think about now with all that information :P good luck!

• Like 4

scottyb1988.jpg

Bloody hell Scotty, thanks, that's an exhaustive answer!

Knowing which weapons from different categories work well against one another is valuable information.

However, I've gone with assault rifles, along with sniper and grenade pickups for the time being. Keep it simple to start with, tweaking it as necessary later. (I'll get the job posted soon).

• Like 2