• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Squirrel

• DavidCore89

• zmurko

• BryannosaurusRex

I heard Netflix is looking to pick up the guys for a new car show. Hammond and May were offered alot of money to come back by the BBC but they turned it down so it looks likely Netflix will get their guys. Netflix is becoming quite the force

• Like 1

tumblr_m8l94nfFrG1r5jta4o6_500.gif

One day the sadness will end.

I like Chris Evans, he should be quite entertaining.

He's a huge car collector too, once paid £10M for the UK's most expensive car bought at auction, Ferrari GTO I think.

Edited by DavidCore89
  • Like 2

Evans definitely seems like a gear head, and that's half the battle. I imagine the show will be a bit more focused on cars than comedic relief, which could be interesting. I think he's probably the best choice.

This is the only thing I've seen/heard Clarkson working on. We know he's up to something, but details of course are vague/not apparent.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/clarkson-already-filming-new-car-series-88426.html

: FIRE :

"If you ride like lightning, you're gonna crash like thunder." - The Place Between The Pines

I do like Chris Evans, but Top Gear isn't Top Gear without Clarkson.

Gearhead or not, it just won't be the same.

I only grow in living soil!
Because Fat Buds Matter!

Gearhead or not, it just won't be the same.

This is where I stand on it and I do like Chris Evans, but he should do a show not called Top Gear. It's really big shoes to fill and none of the hardcore TG fans are happy about Clarkson's dismissal.

Chris Evans seems to be the new host and there were some rumors about Jodie Kidd being one of the co-hosts.

As for Clarkson, he seems to be working on something about running a farm and a series with Netflix. May will do a series with BBC called 'Building Cars Live', but he won't be involved with TG and neither will Hammond.  The three of them do continue with the live shows though. Not sure if all three will be involved in the Netflix thing though.

gallery_510_31_23135.jpg

• 11 months later...

Fuck, that Evans prick is annoying, what a cock! ::smiley-angry032:

He basically ruins a still somewhat decent show. What were they thinking? Didn't they have a test screening or something? Or at least an audition?

Don't think I'll be watching Top Gear until they replace him, I barely made it through the first show (really wanted to see what they've come up with).

I'm the same although I knew it would be bad. Didn't expect it to be that bad. Trying to do the same format with different (lack of) personalities was always going to be a disaster. 

Why the fuck didn't they get Guy Martin and Jody Kidd. Both of them would have been far superior to the ginger prick and would probably have been cheaper too!

@DavidCore89 Have you seen the new show and do you still stand by your opinion?

Edited by Squirrel

Has the new show been on?

I didn't see it, but I did see a brief about the new show, Sabine Schmitz was on there, is she in the actual series?

38 minutes ago, DavidCore89 said:

Has the new show been on?

I didn't see it, but I did see a brief about the new show, Sabine Schmitz was on there, is she in the actual series?

1st one was last night. It's on Iplayer now. She briefly came on. Will let you watch it and will see what you think.

• Like 1

Well, I sure as hell won't be able to un-see that.

From start to finish it was very cringe-worthy and the obviously forced jokes from Evans and Le Blanc were painful.

I knew they wouldn't be able to reproduce the magic of the old presenters, but I wasn't expecting such little entertainment and a script that even looks scripted.

Evans and Le Blanc may be better drivers than the old presenters, but I don't wanna trust their opinions to be honest and frank. What Le Blanc knows about UK motoring is anyone's guess.

Why Le Blanc isn't on US Top Gear is way beyond my common sense, the accent doesn't work well with Evans, it's kinda like the Enterprise car rental TV ad... As with most American TV personalities - everything is exaggerated. 

I'm sure a British person wouldn't work well with an American host on an American show as well, that's just how it is.

Many won't remember Top Gear from pre Clarkson, Hammond and May, but it was boring and the ratings were poor. This will go the same way and it'll probably die out again.

EDIT: Have the camera crew changed? I noticed lower quality filming and effects, just didn't seem like the work of the old team.

Edited by DavidCore89

It was the audience reactions that did it for me. I have a feeling they searched the footage for as many smiling people as possible but when no one is happy to be there I can understand why we ended up shots with all the miserable bored people.

I remember Top Gear before the change in format, many of the old guys from there went on to present 5th Gear as the main show for people wanting information about buying cars leaving Top Gear as an entertainment show about cars. 

The only comparable show is TGI Fridays but then the audience had another reason to be there apart from being subjected to Evans level of humour. Judging by the feedback, more people are interested in the Extra Gear show which is an add on show made without Evans.

25 minutes ago, DavidCore89 said:

As with most American TV personalities - everything is exaggerated. 

I'm sure a British person wouldn't work well with an American host on an American show as well, that's just how it is.

I haven't watched the whole thing but LeBlanc is not the exaggerated one. Evans is the cartoon character who shouts everything. Matt in comparison is low key. I like Matt, he's a good guy, gear petrolhead and loves motorcycles.

Give the cast & production a little time, they might figure out what works and what doesn't. Good shows do. American Top Gear got better over time once they figured out they could not be a carbon copy of TG UK and came up with their own recipe. Also the cast got better with time too. 

I meant his presenting is exaggerated because I can see that he's acting, after all that's his profession. 

Of course, Evans is way OTT, always has been.

Agree, LeBlanc's delivery is bad and wooden. It never bothered me in Friends or Episodes. Maybe he needs better writing or to be more at ease speaking in front of a live audience?

23 hours ago, DavidCore89 said:

EDIT: Have the camera crew changed? I noticed lower quality filming and effects, just didn't seem like the work of the old team.

It's quite possible. I know some of the production team has also left Top Gear. 

I'm not going to write Top Gear off yet, I will be watching this weekends episode but after Evans tweets claiming the show was a success due to viewing figures I will not be watching it live or on iplayer. I'll download it illegally just to avoid contributing to the ginger pricks ego.

• 2 weeks later...

Just watched tonights episode on iplayer. I have to say it's one of the best in a long time; they've brought in the presenters from Extra Gear (online only) giving it a fresher feel - Evans feels like the odd one out now, just sounding like a Clarkson carbon copy but not getting it quite right.

From what I've seen, heard and read, opinions on the Extra Gear presenters have been high. I suspect the TG production team were waiting on this response before introducing the new presenters on to the main show or not. 

Tonights is definitely worth a watch if you can.

• Like 1

I like this apart from Evans, too much like Clarkson.  He should just produce it rather than being on camera.

I haven't seen last nights show yet, but I did watch 2nd episode (despite saying I'll not watch it until they get rid of the ginger). I must say he really toned it down after the 1st episode, but he was still over the top and annoying, but it was definitely a massive improvement after the 1st episode.

I'll make sure I watch last night episode as well.