Technical Difficulties

Protocawl

Technical Difficulties

4 team Contend Capture for preferably 8 or 16 players

Time limit: 10 min / Target score: 8 points

1 round by default

Starting and respawn vehicle: Technical

Starting weapon: Pistol

4 teams will be pitted against each other in Technicals on an open ground battlefield, where evasive driving skills and shooting accuracy will be thoroughly tested. Just get to the middle of the map, eliminate your opponents, capture the bags and deliver them to your base - simple, right? *Even number (2 or 4) of players on each team suggested*

Edited by Protocawl
  • Like 1

Got a chance to play this with 11 or 12 people tonight.

In essence it's a very good idea and it's executed pretty decently for the most part. There are however some balance issues. As it is now, it's far .. far too easy to merely sit in the back of a Technical and mow down your opponents. Some might call that chaotic, some might call it fun, IMO it's a balancing issue. If you make the "arena" larger, this wouldn't be a problem and would put the Technical AND teamwork to better use. The distance between your base and the capture objects just isn't large enough.

Weapon choice I think is fine. Anything other than a Pistol and it'd probably take away from the allure of the Technical.

Solid idea that could benefit from a bit of tweaking and editing.

• Like 1

: FIRE :

"If you ride like lightning, you're gonna crash like thunder." - The Place Between The Pines

Loved this capture.  Plays well.  Like G said, make the arena larger if possible.  I'd maybe even swap out the pistol for the AP pistol.  But I'm not sure... would have to replay it with a more powerful pistol to see if that would make sense.  I'm silly and rarely use the vehicles.  Most of the time, I just ran towards the center, grabbed a bag, and then ran back.  It worked a couple of times.  :lol:

• Like 1

Got a chance to play this with 11 or 12 people tonight.

In essence it's a very good idea and it's executed pretty decently for the most part. There are however some balance issues. As it is now, it's far .. far too easy to merely sit in the back of a Technical and mow down your opponents. Some might call that chaotic, some might call it fun, IMO it's a balancing issue. If you make the "arena" larger, this wouldn't be a problem and would put the Technical AND teamwork to better use. The distance between your base and the capture objects just isn't large enough.

Weapon choice I think is fine. Anything other than a Pistol and it'd probably take away from the allure of the Technical.

Solid idea that could benefit from a bit of tweaking and editing.

Yeah, I thought it might be too small, but unfortunately I can't do anything about it on PS3, I already used up all the props available. On next gen I'd have twice the amount of props and could probably make it large enough, but this'll have to do for now I'm afraid.

I would also probably add some barriers to the respawn areas at least, but again, all the available props went into creating the arena itself. If the sandbags in the middle are pointless, though, then I could delete those and maybe put 4 barriers in front of every team's start point to avoid "sitting and mowing". I'll have a look if the carriages would be big enough to help.

Thank you!

Loved this capture.  Plays well.  Like G said, make the arena larger if possible.  I'd maybe even swap out the pistol for the AP pistol.  But I'm not sure... would have to replay it with a more powerful pistol to see if that would make sense.  I'm silly and rarely use the vehicles.  Most of the time, I just ran towards the center, grabbed a bag, and then ran back.  It worked a couple of times.   :lol:

Made the arena as big as props allowed me to on PS3. I'm not sure about switching it to AP Pistol, but might try it. Then again, you did say you RAN around, whereas I certainly expected everyone to mainly use the Technicals to get around and obliterate the opponents with the mounted gun when possible. :D You probably needed more firepower in your hands that way, but the pistol is mainly for the drivers and I'm not sure others would be crazy/brave enough to move around on foot like you, Jag! :lol:

Thank you for the feedback!

Edited by Protocawl
  • Like 1

I like the variables the uneven terrain brings to gameplay. The sandbags really serve no purpose so you can dump them.

If this area doesn't exactly have room to grow, you could always find another spot. Pretty sure this one can be expanded though. One thing I'm really thinking about though is if you rid yourself of the borders/perimeter. It isn't necessary and would allow you space to breathe and not make it feel so contained (it honestly wouldn't be a problem and let you push the bases out further).

Edited by G37
  • Like 1

"If you ride like lightning, you're gonna crash like thunder." - The Place Between The Pines

I like the variables the uneven terrain brings to gameplay. The sandbags really serve no purpose so you can dump them.

If this area doesn't exactly have room to grow, you could always find another spot. Pretty sure this one can be expanded though. One thing I'm really thinking about though is if you rid yourself of the borders/perimeter. It isn't necessary and would allow you space to breathe and not make it feel so contained (it honestly wouldn't be a problem and let you push the bases out further).

I honestly don't even know why I included the boundaries in the first place... I guess I was thinking too much about randoms (thought players might escape the area or find some higher ground camping spots or something nearby :lol:). I'd only just found out what it's like to play with nice, honest and skilful crewmates when I made this capture after all and wasn't used to the idea that fair play was possible by every player in a session in GTA:O. :P

I can indeed properly expand the area and make it what it was supposed to be from the beginning. Thank you, G! I'll make the changes first thing tomorrow morning! ;)

Sounds good, can't wait to try it again later.

With Technicals and Pistols, you've really nothing to worry about in terms of far off camping or anything like that so by all means, expand it to how you see fit. If people want to win, they must go toward the center. Likewise you COULD perhaps include SOME props in the middle that would encourage people to exit the Technical to get it but I don't think that's too necessary.

Edited by G37
  • Like 1

UPDATE:

*Removed all barriers and made the area roughly 4X bigger.

*Repositioned all team start points, capture points, respawn areas, capture objects, Armor spawns and Technicals.

*Placed several car and bus wrecks on tarmac roads.

*Replaced the sandbags with 2 Metal Crates.

Also decided against adding the AP Pistols to the capture for now.

Shame we weren't enough to give this a proper go. Still enjoyed it though. If only you could spawn in others vehicles. 

• Like 1

I tend to make my captures with 16 players in mind - it's a bit of a curse or something like that. :unsure:

Edited by Protocawl

Grand Theft Auto V_truelife98: https://youtu.be/PctDDuHFfh0

Not sure how to upload videos especially from phone but link is a clip from when we played this. It is just the last 2 minutes but has great finish

Edited by truelife98
  • Like 1

Grand Theft Auto V_truelife98: https://youtu.be/PctDDuHFfh0

Not sure how to upload videos especially from phone but link is a clip from when we played this. It is just the last 2 minutes but has great finish

Oh, that's a bit of gameplay from the old version! Looked very chaotic and pistol-oriented. :P Nice finish, though.

I recommend trying it out again, now that it's without boundaries! Feel free to suggest it to a PL host on PS4! :)

Damn, the terrain and everything else looks amazing on PS4!