Do you speed?

JustHatched

As a Dad of two young kids I never stray too far above the urban speed limit, I love driving fast but left the silly stuff for the circuit; I have too much respect for other peoples safety to go nuts on the urban streets, that's not to say I'm perfect. When conditions allow and out of built up areas I like to give my car an 'Italian service' and unleash the torque. On motorways I try and keep it down to around 80mph (limit is 70), the trouble is in 6th gear at 80 the car isn't breaking sweat and if cruise isn't on you can find yourself eating up the miles a little quicker......when not stuck in traffic!!!!.

In my years of driving I've had plenty of scary moments on country roads (and indeed on the rally stages) and somehow only had a couple of speeding tickets. I think it was around 1989 that I took the XR4i out on late night run on the motorway just to see what it would do, got the needle up to 130mph (209kph).

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dodge

• Pb76

• Jaggy

• ronin

Top Posters In This Topic

Since I moved to the city centre it has been pedal power for me. No point owning a car where I live and work. I have broken speed limits on my push bike though. It's my dream to set off a speeding camera while on my bike. Don't even know if it's possible.

It's my dream to set off a speeding camera while on my bike. Don't even know if it's possible.

Its possible, keep trying ;)

I agree that residential speeding is a stupid idea, however, I speed everywhere else. Its usually only 5-10 mph over the posted speed.

Once rented a car to go from little rock, AR to home in northern TX. During the drive my coworker was asleep. Upon his awakening he checked the GPS and decided to question why we had reached 104 mph :lol:

• Like 1

In the early days, I never respected the limits and did some pretty stupid things. At one point I had to appear in court, got a massive fine and lost my license for a few weeks. I collected quite a few tickets back then.

A few years ago my cousing had a massive crash and was heavily injured. That was quite an eye opener and a big scare.

Nowadays, I tend to stick to the speed limits. I do quite a lot of miles and have learned over the years that in a tiny and congested country like mine, it's pretty useless to speed. And it's simply not safe. My driving style really evolved from rally mode to cruising mode and I like it that way.

gallery_510_31_23135.jpg

I've gotten much respect for speed cause of crashes, i have gotten very much respect for speed after i lost my brother in law 2 years ago, he was 35, leaving behind my sister and 2 girls!

Drive safe people, don't text and drive, and if you must speed, do it in moderation, and think of the ones who love you :)

• Like 5

b2ExQd1.png

I've gotten much respect for speed cause of crashes, i have gotten very much respect for speed after i lost my brother in law 2 years ago, he was 35, leaving behind my sister and 2 girls!

Drive safe people, don't text and drive, and if you must speed, do it in moderation, and think of the ones who love you :)

Only yesterday I learned my neighbour had a big crash just before the weekend. The car is total loss. Just saw the wreck and it's a miracle she got away with just a few broken fingers and bruises. Speeding is just not worth it.

All the best to you and the family Haste !

gallery_510_31_23135.jpg

Only yesterday I learned my neighbour had a big crash just before the weekend. The car is total loss. Just saw the wreck and it's a miracle she got away with just a few broken fingers and bruises. Speeding is just not worth it.

All the best to you and the family Haste !

Ah, sometimes it's pure luck you know! Good thing no more happened to her!

Thanks Ronin, it was cause of texting!

• Like 1

b2ExQd1.png

Its possible, keep trying ;)

I agree that residential speeding is a stupid idea, however, I speed everywhere else. Its usually only 5-10 mph over the posted speed.

Once rented a car to go from little rock, AR to home in northern TX. During the drive my coworker was asleep. Upon his awakening he checked the GPS and decided to question why we had reached 104 mph :lol:

I once reached 684 mph on a dirt bike. Or at least the GPS said I did. :lol:

The GPS lost satellite connection in heavy tree cover, when connection was restored it somehow calculated that I went that fast.

• Like 3

Ah, sometimes it's pure luck you know! Good thing no more happened to her!

Thanks Ronin, it was cause of texting!

That is what caught out my cousin. Too busy with the phone and paperwork when hitting the road after a customer's visit. He recovered eventually, sort of, 80%-ish. My neighbour got caught out by some ice on the road, though I suspect speeding must have played a role, knowing her driving style ;)

It's just not worth it. People should realise that whenever they get into or onto a vehicle, they carry a massive responsability. Towards themselves, their loved ones AND other road users. Though my employer gave me a car with a fancy system with all the bells and whistles one could hope for, I refuse to use it, much to his delight. If one drives, then driving should be the one and only concern. Unless I'm on duty for chemical emergencies for work, I do not do any calls whatsoever. Even the radio gets on my t*ts at times ....

If you want to go quick, get a track day car and hit the circuit. That is exactly what I'm planning to do ! Some day at least ... after I win the lottery ...  Until that magic moment arrives, I'll play some GTA with you lot to get my fix :D

• Like 1

gallery_510_31_23135.jpg

• 1 month later...

Bump (no pun intended).

This subject was close to home on Friday. My daughter was walking home from school with some friends when a speeding car (driver also reportedly on the phone) mounted the pavement hitting three out of the five in the group, narrowly missing a Mum with two young kids; the road is part of a residential 20mph zone! Fortunately my daughter was one that wasn't hit but the friend she was walking side by side with had to be taken to Hospital by Air Ambulance with head and chest injuries, another sustained broken bones in both feet. Fortunately all those that sustained injuries should make a full recovery over time.  I've also just had to go and pick my daughter up from school because she was so hesitant on walking home.

On Saturday when we took some flowers to the lady that helped my daughter until I got there there was another idiot speeding in the same area.  Some people really don't think about the physical and mental carnage they can leave by irresponsible driving and to be driving like that when school kids are around is beyond believe.

Liking this post is not enough...

Very glad your daughter is safe. And I feel for the families of the injured. I hope everything turns out alright. I also hope the guilty party understands the hardship they are responsible for. Unfortunately, their guilt, is the only thing that will keep from doing this again.

• Like 2

Dodgeservice.png

I work in a high school and I couldn't agree more.

When kids are going home, we have to be 100% focused while they cross the street.

Almost every week, we have near misses with kids. There are signs everywhere and school buses but no, assholes drivers are still driving like crazy.

The other day, one car passed at full speed another that had stopped to let the kids pass. It missed a couple kids by only 2cm !

• Like 1

I'm one of those people who stick to the limit like a pedant, and tailgating me only makes me slower :P

Once got down to about 15mph with a taxi pretty much pushing me to make me go faster.  Managed to keep him behind me for about 10 minutes.  Late at night too, can just imagine how angry he was seeing all that clear open road in front of us.

• Like 3

I set my cruise to 5-8 over on the highway and that's about it. Even in my last muscle car I rarely ever exceeded the speed limit. I'd accelerate hard and brake traction in open areas if no one was around but that's about it. I can't say I never speed, but I'm as close as you can get to saying never. I'm voting sometimes, but that a very light sometimes.

Oh and you all are a bunch of hooligans.

Yes we are Torrid. I typically only do 10 over on highways and 5 over on other roads unless residential. Yes driving fast in itself can be stupid, but I'm not stupid about it; I know when I can and can't get away with it and haven't had a single accident. Something said to me early on stuck, "Don't worry about yourself on the road, worry about all the other idiots.

But I have gone anywhere from 5 over, to triple the speed limit. And in my area, at triple the speed limit, the cops don't even look your way.

Nobody ever has a good enough excuse when they get caught by the police and "I was in a hurry" or "It was only me in the car, officer" probably won't be an acceptable reason for knocking down a child.

Sure they do. "I put a turbo on it." Just recently got me out of a 20mph over ticket. He wanted to see it so I popped the hood and after shooting the breeze he said, "Slow it down and have a nice day sir." EDIT, just saw the child part, yea there is no excuse for that.

And for my speeding, not normally in town, I live in rural nowhere but you do have to be careful about speeding up behind a tractor.

I don't speed in town, or heavily populated areas, but when you live in the country like I do; you don't do the speed limits. And yes, watch out for tractors! LOL

Edited by JusTokenII

And after reading the second page.

Distracted driving has NO EXCUSE. My phone gets turned off the moment I step into a vehicle. Its something I am religious about. A couple days ago one of my friends(who texts and drives), just recently lost her friend to texting and driving. Wrapped his car around a tree, drivers side first. I asked her if she was going to do it again, she told me she has already downloaded an app that takes the gps speed and automatically replies that she will get back to you.

I told her what could happen months ago and asked that she stop doing so for her safety and the safety of others, and it took her friend dying from it for the fact to hit home.

I am also another who will slow down way beyond the speed limit just to piss someone off for tailgating me. I don't tailgate, I either pass or keep a safe distance. Its EXTREMELY dangerous to tailgate. You can't really see whats going on in front of the other vehicle.

I almost never speed on the street anymore. No more street racing for me. About the only time I speed is when I'm towing my race trailer without cruise control set. With the custom turbo I installed, it builds boost better under load, like going up hill. If I'm not paying attention, I'll be 10mph over the limit at the top of the hill.

Naturally there's no speed limit to break at the track. : MIAO :

I only grow in living soil!
Because Fat Buds Matter!

And after reading the second page.

Distracted driving has NO EXCUSE. My phone gets turned off the moment I step into a vehicle. Its something I am religious about. A couple days ago one of my friends(who texts and drives), just recently lost her friend to texting and driving. Wrapped his car around a tree, drivers side first. I asked her if she was going to do it again, she told me she has already downloaded an app that takes the gps speed and automatically replies that she will get back to you.

People that use their phones while driving really piss me off, they're never looking at the road, always looking down at their phone. They have no idea what's happening on the road around them.

I make sure I let them know how stupid it is by shouting at them out of my window or beeping and pulling off some technical hand gestures... Some will call it rage (the Mrs calls it embarrassing), but it works, they soon put their phone down  :).

Edited by DavidCore89
  • Like 2

People that use their phones while driving really piss me off, they're never looking at the road, always looking down at their phone. They have no idea what's happening on the road around them.

I make sure I let them know how stupid it is by shouting at them out of my window or beeping and pulling off some technical hand gestures... Some will call it rage (the Mrs calls it embarrassing), but it works, they soon put their phone down  :).

Yea, I usually get right up next to them and beep or rev the car, cause itll backfire and sound like an AK47 if I rev it high enough. Almost caused an accident a few times but hey, put the damn phone down. A millisecond can change a life to death.

With the custom turbo I installed : MIAO :

Oh you too huh? Sweet. Love Boost.

• Like 1

Yea, I usually get right up next to them and beep or rev the car, cause itll backfire and sound like an AK47 if I rev it high enough. Almost caused an accident a few times but hey, put the damn phone down. A millisecond can change a life to death.

Oh you too huh? Sweet. Love Boost.

Yeah! Boost is better than any drug! At one time, I had 5 vehicles with boost, dump truck, F350 Super Duty, 99 Cobra with twin 67mm turbos, 04 Cobra with a 3.4 Whipple and my New Holland tractor. I have a new, 2014 Super Duty that's bone stock and it's staying that way. It's a frigging beast! I still have the other Super Duty and 99 Cobra. The Cobra will be getting a make over as soon as I move to my new place. It's actually way too radical for much street driving. I think it's getting a new built 5.0 DOHC with a single 76mm or 81mm Precision custom turbo and keep it to around 800 rwhp max.

I only grow in living soil!
Because Fat Buds Matter!

Yeah i do sometimes... After having some drinks.

I think i drive better when im a lilttle drunk... I feel more confident... I know thats stupid but yh.

Yeah i do sometimes... After having some drinks.

I think i drive better when im a lilttle drunk... I feel more confident... I know thats stupid but yh.

I really hope you live long enough (without killing someone else or losing your license) to look back and realise how stupid this actually is.
  • Like 3

I really hope you live long enough (without killing someone else or losing your license) to look back and realise how stupid this actually is.

Yeah you are right, I know the risks and how dangerous this can be but the adrenaline speaks louder...