Thinking about ditching Facebook

JustHatched

I'm thinking about deleting my FB account. Well, I'm sure FB won't actually let it be deleted though they might say it is. FB is such a POS and I really don't use it for more than reposting stupid meme's. 

Do you use FB, have you deleted your account? Thoughts?

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

:default_sign0081:

Never deleted my account fully but I’ve had time away from it and deactivated it for a while. 

Main reasons for keeping it have been, it makes signing up for websites a breeze and it’s very useful for event planning. 

I use the messenger far more than the actual app. 

One of the best features Facebook brought in is the ability to unfollow someone without unfriending them. This is especially useful for family as you don’t have to see their bullsh*t on a daily basis but they don’t think you’ve unfriended them either which usually causes more drama than it should. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I do use Facebook, but it's a horrible horrible thing. The wifes never off the sodding thing.

If I didn't use it for my work account I'd f*ck it off altogether 

• Like 2

50% Cat 50% Man 110% Bellend

As soon as I found out you could deactivate your profil and still use the messenger app, I did so. Have had it like that for awhile and don't miss it one bit. Was nothing but memes, ads and photos of people (and their family/pets) I don't talk to anymore. Only thing I might miss is the event feature but I'll survive.

Edited by Banketelli
  • Like 2

I would have deleted my account however I set up a few business pages through it for friends/clients in the past that I may need to revisit at some point. So I just deleted everybody except Mrs Chubb and set everything to private.

IMO Facebook does what glossy magazines done in the 90’s... cause depresssion for most while letting a few paint a false picture of a perfect life.

• Like 4

Can you smell what the Stone is cooking?

I've thought about it  but I use the messenger as well as use a few groups for auto related activities. I'm also an admin on a page  for a military base I was stationed at. I keep a small "friends" list. Only family I have on it are my mom/brother and wife/kids. Everyone else is old army buddies, some friends and a bunch of people I don;t really "know" at all.

As a whole FB is a giant cancerous mess of idiots, trolls and cry babies. I just stick to the groups I enjoy and leave them once they get annoying. Rather than unfollow I will just unfriend folks and basically keep a rotating friends list. Too much political or religious nonsense and their *ss is gone. My family s*cks so I just keep all of them away.  I stay away from all the drama and bullsh*t that I can and know to stay the hell out of comment sections.

• Like 3

I've thought about this and I think I am going to do away with facebook in my life. Mostly due to I do not care for how facebook has hampered communities like this with their groups. Facebook groups are not communities and the admins generally have no real idea how to admin a real community. I've been vocal abou this on other sites and I do not wish to be hypocritical and support that place with my presence while trying to maintain real websites and not social propaganda machines.

• Like 3

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/22/2019 at 10:17 PM, Squirrel said:

Never deleted my account fully but I’ve had time away from it and deactivated it for a while. 

Main reasons for keeping it have been, it makes signing up for websites a breeze and it’s very useful for event planning. 

I use the messenger far more than the actual app. 

One of the best features Facebook brought in is the ability to unfollow someone without unfriending them. This is especially useful for family as you don’t have to see their bullsh*t on a daily basis but they don’t think you’ve unfriended them either which usually causes more drama than it should. 

😂 🤣 😂 Unfollow. I do that. My sister in law does my f*ckin head in on FB but deleting her would cause right agro. 

• Haha 2

To delete your account as much as possible would you not have to go through every post you have ever shared, every pic you've ever posted and every comment you've ever made and delete them individually?

13 minutes ago, M.C.Lethal Dose said:

To delete your account as much as possible would you not have to go through every post you have ever shared, every pic you've ever posted and every comment you've ever made and delete them individually?

Once you upload a picture to Facebook they own it. You can delete the pics you have uploaded but they will have them stored somewhere and linked to the information they have stored on you... Best just not to upload in the first place and turn off the ability for people to tag you.

Recent data protection laws mean you can request all the details Facebook have on you, they will provide you with a file/log of your information, you can then request this to be deleted IIRC, however I don't believe for one second they erase it completely.

I am not sure what would happen you your posts and interactions after your account is deleted though...

• Like 1

I don’t care what they do with pictures I share. They can do what they want with my sh*t  box station wagon and cats, lol. The rest are memes that everyone else has anyways.

1 hour ago, M.C.Lethal Dose said:

😂 🤣 😂 Unfollow. I do that. My sister in law does my f*ckin head in on FB but deleting her would cause right agro. 

That is the truth. A few years ago I deleted one of my wife’s Aunts and it started world war f*cking 3. So I told them to bl*w me and deleted every last of them. Took off my family as well. Only my mother and brother remain. Sadly my brother is one of those dumb sh*ts with two accounts and goes back and forth as each one gets banned for a few weeks.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, M.C.Lethal Dose said:

The other useful feature is being able to snooze people for 30 days. Great for when they start talking about crap like Love Island. I don’t want to see that crap so goodbye from my feed for a while! 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Squirrel said:

The other useful feature is being able to snooze people for 30 days. Great for when they start talking about crap like Love Island. I don’t want to see that crap so goodbye from my feed for a while! 

Being able to snooze people? What a great idea... would be awesome IRL too 😂

55 minutes ago, JuniorChubb said:

Being able to snooze people? What a great idea... would be awesome IRL too 😂

All apps should have that feature. Always good to get a break from people once in a while. 

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

I honestly never really like social media sites like myspace or facebook. I prefer personally owned forums and sites like this one.

• Like 1

GeezeZone 

My forum dedicated to all things 90s and 2000s nostalgia be it internet culture, memes, tv shows, movies or games!

16 minutes ago, Abizaga said:

I honestly never really like social media sites like myspace or facebook. I prefer personally owned forums and sites like this one.

Well we are glad to have ya with us. Just Don’t beat my arcade high scores and we will be cool. 😄

Edited by Con
  • Haha 1

I have an account in limbo. One day last September I received a message from FB that they needed my photo ID. I wrote back asking why. They claimed to verify my identity because I was using a nickname (which I had used for like five years by then)...I stated that because I’m not selling things on FB market and have been a member since 2012 with no violations, I don’t feel the need to send a photo ID to share memes with my family and childhood friends. 
they said send us your ID or we don’t activate your account. I said, f*ck you. And since Sept 2019, I’ve been without FB, I don’t miss it because I was an info sharer not info collector so I’m not missing out on anything. 

34 minutes ago, Con said:

Well we are glad to have ya with us. Just Don’t beat my arcade high scores and we will be cool. 😄

No promises haha I can get a bit competitive! 😛

• Haha 2

GeezeZone 

My forum dedicated to all things 90s and 2000s nostalgia be it internet culture, memes, tv shows, movies or games!

I haven't ditched FB yet, only thing that keeps me on is the marketplace. 

Only thing for me is my Q Army page which I use along side the archived foeums to keeps memory alive.

GeezeZone 

6 minutes ago, JustHatched said:

I haven't ditched FB yet, only thing that keeps me on is the marketplace. 

Marketplace ftw. Got alot of cheap toy cars off there 

• Like 1

50% Cat 50% Man 110% Bellend