Upgrading PS4 Hard Drive

markt112

Upgrading the HDD yourself is a good option, probably cost effective as well, but you'll be still running the old model of the PS4 which is heavier, louder, runs at a higher temperature as the fan isn't as good, it has the easily scratchable surface on top of the PS4, poor quality rubber on the analogue sticks, weaker R2/L2 buttons and 16 memory modules instead of 8 modules with higher capacity.

The old model develops one fairly widespread issue in particular which cannot be fixed, auto ejecting discs, any warranty will obviously be void due to DIY HDD upgrade.

DIY upgrade is cost effective, but the console and controller is inferior IMO.

New model costs around £50 more as new, but worth it, I sold 3 old consoles and upgraded, 2 of which had the auto ejecting disc but that's no longer my problem.

• Like 1

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• zztop911

• ScottyB

• DeaD_GooN

• billysyntax

any warranty will obviously be void due to DIY HDD upgrade.

It will not void your warranty. I replaced mine last fall with the Seagate 2TB ST2000LM003 Momentus SpinPoint 9.5mm SATA 2.5" Internal Hard Drive and never had a problem with it. It's also the best rated internal hdd on the market for the ps4. Replacing the hdd is a piece of cake. Just follow the instructions here.

http://www.cheatsheet.com/technology/how-to-upgrade-your-ps4-hard-drive-to-2tb.html/?a=viewall

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, FragTrap666 said:

It will not void your warranty. I replaced mine last fall with the Seagate 2TB ST2000LM003 Momentus SpinPoint 9.5mm SATA 2.5" Internal Hard Drive and never had a problem with it. It's also the best rated internal hdd on the market for the ps4. Replacing the hdd is a piece of cake. Just follow the instructions here.

http://www.cheatsheet.com/technology/how-to-upgrade-your-ps4-hard-drive-to-2tb.html/?a=viewall

Good news!

• Like 1

On 2/15/2016 at 8:13 PM, billysyntax said:

Failed to mention that if you're careful when removing the drive from the backup plus case, it makes a nice 500gb external drive. : GRIMACE :

I just did the exact same thing with mine. 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 14 February 2016 at 2:56 PM, billysyntax said:

I just upgraded mine to 2tb. Picked up a Seagate stdr2000100 backup plus slim for around $80 usd. I've noticed a considerable difference in load times and performance. I recommend it highly.

How has the hdd held up for you and how and how long have you had it for?

On 18 February 2016 at 11:27 AM, DeaD_GooN said:

I just did the exact same thing with mine. 

Which one did you get and what are your thoughts on it?

I'll be purchasing one in the next few days and I'd much prefer a 2tb but the only ones that fit are Samsung/seagate which have some bad reviews which is why I'm hesitant. Are those fears warranted?

What is the maximum thickness for the hdd aswell? Most things say 9mm but another site has said 12mm. 

There's a place doing hdd upgrades and they can give you up to 6tb lol but they add a big case to house it in. 

• Like 1

scottyb1988.jpg

8 hours ago, ScottyB said:

IWhat is the maximum thickness for the hdd aswell? Most things say 9mm but another site has said 12mm. 

There's a place doing hdd upgrades and they can give you up to 6tb lol but they add a big case to house it in. 

I Upgraded mines last week Tuesday to a 1TB, it is 9.5mm which is standard for a 2.5" hard drive, but I can verify by my measurement of the hard drive caddy that 12mm is the 'Max' a PS4 can take, and a tight fit in dead. Expect scratches and maybe prying it in place.

Edited by Smurf
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, ScottyB said:

How has the hdd held up for you and how and how long have you had it for?

Which one did you get and what are your thoughts on it?

I'll be purchasing one in the next few days and I'd much prefer a 2tb but the only ones that fit are Samsung/seagate which have some bad reviews which is why I'm hesitant. Are those fears warranted?

What is the maximum thickness for the hdd aswell? Most things say 9mm but another site has said 12mm. 

I got this one.

http://amzn.to/2aoeun9

I've had no issues with it, and it was a breeze to install and get set up. As far as performance goes, I'm not sure how it compares to the original, because i upgraded it only a few days after purchasing the PS4.

• Like 1

@ScottyB Also, I've heard that anything over 2TB are prone to have issues with rest mode for some reason. Not sure if you use that feature, but I use the shit out of it. My PS4 is almost never "off".

• Like 1

On 04/08/2016 at 11:45 PM, Smurf said:

I Upgraded mines last week Tuesday to a 1TB, it is 9.5mm which is standard for a 2.5" hard drive, but I can verify by my measurement of the hard drive caddy that 12mm is the 'Max' a PS4 can take, and a tight fit in dead. Expect scratches and maybe prying it in place.

Awesome, I've read that 12mm was the max so it's good to have it confirmed. Hopefully it doesn't need any scratching and prying to get in though :P 

On 05/08/2016 at 1:32 AM, DeaD_GooN said:

@ScottyB Also, I've heard that anything over 2TB are prone to have issues with rest mode for some reason. Not sure if you use that feature, but I use the shit out of it. My PS4 is almost never "off".

Just checked out the one you suggested and I'll compare it to a few others. It's very slim so it would drop straight in which is good but I'm still a little skeptical of their disks even though I am running a samsung SSD in my computer.

I always have mine in rest mode too and I wouldn't bother going over 2tb either. 

Thanks for your help guys, I'll post up what I decide on and let you know how the install goes. It's just going to be very time consuming to either transfer and/or download everything again haha.

• Like 2

scottyb1988.jpg

On 8/4/2016 at 10:32 AM, DeaD_GooN said:

I've read the same. One would think that the hard drive would power down during rest mode and only power on if there were updates to dl and install.

My hybrid hard drive is still doing well.

Edited by zztop911
  • Like 1

I only grow in living soil!
Because Fat Buds Matter!

Sorry for the late reply scotty. I believe I installed mine the day I had originally posted. It's been working fantastically. There are 4 of us using the console so at anytime new items are added to the storage. I'll go through and clean it out occasionally, but in all honesty it most likely wouldn't have reached capacity had I not. Overall, it's been flawless, completely worth the cash.

• Like 1

https://www.mwave.com.au/product/seagate-stea2000400-2tb-usb-30-expansion-portable-hard-drive-ab69586

This is the one I've ordered. I think it is the same as most others have ordered just the newer model. Awaiting its delivery and hopefully installation goes ok. One thing to note that if you do get an external HDD, by opening the case you void the warranty, but I decided to take that risk.

From what I've read, I wouldn't put anything over 9mm in since you may overheat it and there could be chassis vibrations.

I'm also amazed that almost everywhere I look, computer shops and all don't specify anything about them!! No speed, sata type, physical dimensions etc.  

• Like 1

scottyb1988.jpg

I'm not sure of the speed myself, but the console does run a little better since the upgrade. Haven't noticed any vibrations or anything. And if you're extremely careful when opening the case, you can reformat the 500gb ssd from your ps and have a nice little expansion. Installation is a breeze. Backing everything up and restoring the os can be time consuming, but playstation.com has a page dedicated to this task. I'm sure you've checked on that and won't have any troubles. :)

Edited by billysyntax
  • Like 1

On 2/25/2015 at 8:44 AM, markt112 said:

I think from my bit of internet research the only 2TB drives which fit the ps4 are the seagate/samsung M9T. Wondering if it would be best to go for the lower 1TB - SSHD

I got a 2TB and I used a seagate. It took a bit of work to get it out of the seagate and a bit of work to fiddle with the old PS4 harddrive but now I got a 2TB PS4 and a 500 external that is pretty fast. The process itself is fairly easy to do (I did it while drunk for some stupid reason) When you send the PS4 OS make sure you don't just DL the update and get the OS itself though. 

Edited by Kirshbia
  • Like 1

• 10 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I'm bumping this thread because I will be upgrading my PS4 Pro today with another Hybrid hard drive.

Since the my regular PS4 is still doing great with the Hybrid hard drive I installed, I'm doing the same to my PS4 Pro today.

It's a  2TB Seagate Firecuda Gaming SSHD.

This is what I got...........................  https://www.amazon.com/Fantom-Drives-Upgrade-Firecuda-Warranty/dp/B06XFXNWZT/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1510769946&sr=1-1&keywords=Fantom+Drives+PS4+Hard+Drive+Upgrade+Kit

I expect it to be a bit quicker upgrade with the 3.0 USB port on the Pro. I'll give an update later today!

Because Fat Buds Matter!

My brother recommended I upgrade to 1 Tb.. I don't know if it's worth getting an upgrade seeing that I only install a game if I'm wanting to play a specific game and uninstalling it if I get bored with it. Is the upgrade only to store all your favorite games all on the main screen for your convenience and accessibility?

2 minutes ago, punkbish85 said:

My brother recommended I upgrade to 1 Tb.. I don't know if it's worth getting an upgrade seeing that I only install a game if I'm wanting to play a specific game and uninstalling it if I get bored with it. Is the upgrade only to store all your favorite games all on the main screen for your convenience and accessibility?

My reason is for quicker load times and additional storage space.

The games you play often are on your front page. All others are in your library. And you can set up folder now, but I don't mess with that.

Update...........Amazon lied! UPS says it will be here tomorrow!

Because Fat Buds Matter!

Well, got the old hard drive fully backed up to 2TB usb hard drive...took over 4hours. Then did the easy part by installing the new drive. Installed the Playstation OS from a thumb drive, that's grown to just shy of a gig! And the other long part of restoring all the games from the backup. Everything went flawlessly.

System boot is slightly quicker. That will improve with time as it moves the data to the SSD part of the hard drive assy.

I had 760+ gigs on the old hardrive and I moved everything over. I now have over 940 gigs of free space on the new drive and I put the old hard drive in an enclosure and with the earlier update, I could use it for more storage. :COOLGLARE:

Edited by zztop911
  • Like 1

Because Fat Buds Matter!

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/18/2017 at 11:48 AM, zztop911 said:

Well, got the old hard drive fully backed up to 2TB usb hard drive...took over 4hours. Then did the easy part by installing the new drive. Installed the Playstation OS from a thumb drive, that's grown to just shy of a gig! And the other long part of restoring all the games from the backup. Everything went flawlessly.

System boot is slightly quicker. That will improve with time as it moves the data to the SSD part of the hard drive assy.

I had 760+ gigs on the old hardrive and I moved everything over. I now have over 940 gigs of free space on the new drive and I put the old hard drive in an enclosure and with the earlier update, I could use it for more storage. :COOLGLARE:

My brother just surprised me with the 2TB hard drive, too! I plan on doing that some time this weekend! :D