Upgrading PS4 Hard Drive

markt112

I know how to change the drive and reinstall the firmware - all pretty simple. Just unsure of which drive to go for. Looking for either a 1 or 2tb drive. 

Has anyone here upgraded theirs and if so which one did you upgrade to?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-9-5mm-Internal-Drive-Compatible/dp/B00I8O6OQ4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1424859908&sr=8-1&keywords=ps4+samsung+hd    .... Was looking at this one on amazon but I saw a few reports on the internet about people getting a beeping noise from it

Was also looking at the solid state hybrid drives  - anyone know if these make much of a difference to load times?

Thanks

Edited by markt112

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• zztop911

• ScottyB

• DeaD_GooN

• billysyntax

I think from my bit of internet research the only 2TB drives which fit the ps4 are the seagate/samsung M9T. Wondering if it would be best to go for the lower 1TB - SSHD

• Like 1

1 TB should be good... Right? I mean the biggest game I think I've had was at around 24 GB's and I have a lot under that. If we say the average game will be about 20gb.. That means one could potentially have around 50 games.

I dunno.. All I know is I'll probably have to update my ps4 hard drive at one point

tumblr_m8l94nfFrG1r5jta4o6_500.gif

One day the sadness will end.

• 4 months later...

Let's bump this thread with the deal I found and bought to upgrade my PS4.

Seagate Solid State Hybrid Drive info: http://www.seagate.com/internal-hard-drives/solid-state-hybrid/laptop-solid-state-hybrid-drive/

Deal from Newegg.com: Great price and a free game to boot!

Seagate Hybrid Drive ST1000LM014 1TB

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822178340&cm_re=Laptop_SSHD-_-22-178-340-_-Product#top

I only grow in living soil!
Because Fat Buds Matter!

Let's bump this thread with the deal I found and bought to upgrade my PS4.

Seagate Solid State Hybrid Drive info: http://www.seagate.com/internal-hard-drives/solid-state-hybrid/laptop-solid-state-hybrid-drive/

Deal from Newegg.com: Great price and a free game to boot!

Seagate Hybrid Drive ST1000LM014 1TB

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822178340&cm_re=Laptop_SSHD-_-22-178-340-_-Product#top

Have you installed it yet? Does the SSD make a difference to loading times(it obviously won't with discs, which is all I use but for loading anything on the hdd it is meant to make a pretty big difference but whether it's worth it for that alone is the question) and saving videos etc? Would you recommend installing one?

scottyb1988.jpg

I'm pretty sure Sony will release a 1TB version.

All previous consoles had better versions released, so I really wouldn't bother with an external unless you absolutely need it.

Something worth considering is the size of the installation files on PS4/XB1... Sure the game says it's a 4GB game and lets you play it once that is finished, but a further 15GB will be downloading in the background, some newer titles take up a massive 55GB.

After considering that, I have no doubt Sony will release a 1TB version, I'll wait for an official 1TB console, slow loading while using SSD seems like a step back IMO.

For PCs the SSD's are way better than older formats. Also noise reduced to 0. No moving parts = no noise. Of course the builtin fans for pcu or grafix card would stay as loud as they are.

Have you installed it yet? Does the SSD make a difference to loading times(it obviously won't with discs, which is all I use but for loading anything on the hdd it is meant to make a pretty big difference but whether it's worth it for that alone is the question) and saving videos etc? Would you recommend installing one?

It hasn't arrived here yet.

I'm pretty sure Sony will release a 1TB version.

All previous consoles had better versions released, so I really wouldn't bother with an external unless you absolutely need it.

Something worth considering is the size of the installation files on PS4/XB1... Sure the game says it's a 4GB game and lets you play it once that is finished, but a further 15GB will be downloading in the background, some newer titles take up a massive 55GB.

After considering that, I have no doubt Sony will release a 1TB version, I'll wait for an official 1TB console, slow loading while using SSD seems like a step back IMO.

DC, I'm actually replacing the PS4's hard drive. The only external hard drive involved will be the 4 terabyte that I will use to back up the console and reinstall the files.

This is a hybrid SSD.conventional. It has 8G SSD memory that is adaptive. It learns what applications you normally uses and places that on the fast memory portion. After a couple days operation, your consol/computer should be much faster. It's a way to get a fast LARGE SSD hard drive at a fraction of the cost of what a full SSD would cost. Like full SSD hard drives, you need to disable defragging, if using it in a computer. Defragging does nothing in a SSD hard drive, as it can access the data just as quickly jumbled up as it can in order.

I'll give an update as soon as I get it installed and operated a few days.

There is a non-hybrid 2 terabyte option out there also.

Edited by zztop911
  • Like 1

Because Fat Buds Matter!

I'm going to "go postal" on my stupid lazy azz female mail carrier!  I knew my shipment would not end well when New Egg shipped with DHL and then they handed it off to USPS once the package was in the Metro area. Tracking shows that my package was "Out for Delivery" this morning at 7:38 AM. Well, the b*tch never delivered it. Damn b*tch is so lazy, I never get my registered mail. I have to drive 15 mile to town to get anything like that.

Now I have to wait until Monday and drive into town to get my package since the damn post office closed early today because of the 4th. The post master will get his ear bent on Monday! This crap has to stop.

Sorry about the rant! I feel a little better! :P

Edited by zztop911

Because Fat Buds Matter!

I'm going to "go postal" on my stupid lazy azz female mail carrier!  I knew my shipment would not end well when New Egg shipped with DHL and then they handed it off to USPS once the package was in the Metro area. Tracking shows that my package was "Out for Delivery" this morning at 7:38 AM. Well, the b*tch never delivered it. Damn b*tch is so lazy, I never get my registered mail. I have to drive 15 mile to town to get anything like that.

Now I have to wait until Monday and drive into town to get my package since the damn post office closed early today because of the 4th. The post master will get his ear bent on Monday! This crap has to stop.

Sorry about the rant! I feel a little better! :P

Country living!

scottyb1988.jpg

Country living!

LOL....city people don't get their mail properly also. Country living just makes it a bit more frustrating. ;)

• Like 1

Because Fat Buds Matter!

Finally got the hard drive yesterday.

Since I don't want to spend the time to back up and dl the entire contents of my console to the clouds, I took one of my USB 3.0 hard drives and reformatted it to exFAT from NTFS. The PS4 doesn't recognize NTFS, only FAT32 or exFAT. Even with the USB 3.0, it is going to take about 4.5 hours to backup roughly 358 Gigs.

Backing up/Restore goes a lot quicker.

Because Fat Buds Matter!

I'd like some info on this as well. I will be getting a PS4 soon, and want to upgrade the hard drive out of the box.

Just read this. I believe 5 months would be classified as more than soon, so where is it? :P

scottyb1988.jpg

Just read this. I believe 5 months would be classified as more than soon, so where is it? :P

Not here yet!

Because Fat Buds Matter!

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone installed a solid state drive into a PS4? if so did you see a performance boost while downloading a game from psn store or in game loading time.

Edited by smurf

Has anyone installed a solid state drive into a PS4? if so did you see a performance boost while downloading a game from psn store or in game loading time.

Story mode loads very quickly.

Because Fat Buds Matter!

• 2 months later...

I'm bumping this up because I'm going to upgrade my PS4 to a 2 TB once I get it back from Sony.  I've been looking all over for a 1 TB console, but they don't sell them in the US by themselves.  If I want a 1 TB, I have to buy the COD BO3 console.  A 2 TB is huge and I'll never use all of that space, but it's only like $10 more to upgrade to a 2 TB over a 1 TB.  

So...

We shall see what happens.

I'm bumping this up because I'm going to upgrade my PS4 to a 2 TB once I get it back from Sony.  I've been looking all over for a 1 TB console, but they don't sell them in the US by themselves.  If I want a 1 TB, I have to buy the COD BO3 console.  A 2 TB is huge and I'll never use all of that space, but it's only like $10 more to upgrade to a 2 TB over a 1 TB.  

So...

We shall see what happens.

Get a hybrid SSD

• Like 1

Because Fat Buds Matter!

• 3 months later...

I'm going to have to upgrade my HDD soon as 500gb is ridiculously small. I'm also thinking a 1tb isn't going to cut it either, especially if I leave games on there (which I will). Do you think a 1tb would be suitable or should I just go for a 2tb and be done with it? I am leaning towards a 2tb which does cause a few problems.

1. What 2tb hdd would you recommend? There aren't many that are a 2.5" drive which will fit the ps4 and the ones that have been suggested in articles I've read don't seem to have a great reputation. 

There is another (ugly) option to add a box on top of the ps4 to house a 3.5" drive which will end up being cheaper to get a better and bigger drive. Does any know if they are any good?

• Like 1

scottyb1988.jpg

I just upgraded mine to 2tb. Picked up a Seagate stdr2000100 backup plus slim for around $80 usd. I've noticed a considerable difference in load times and performance. I recommend it highly.

• Like 3