PS3 v PS4 - In terms of GTA V Online and your console use overall

Now it's been a while since some of you moved from the PS3 to the PS4 I'm interested to hear what your views are on whether you still think it was a good move and why, and if anything, what you miss about the PS3 (although I know some of you have done what I'll do and keep the PS3....in my case it'd probably live the rest of it's life as my Son's Minecraft machine).

My reasons for not moving just yet is I only play a very very small number of games (mainly GTA V) and would probably just end up buying and playing the same games, so whilst there are still some great Crew members on PS3 I'm not sure I'd notice that much of a difference.... although I do miss playing with a lot of you PS4 guys and gals.

I love my ps4.i only use it to play gta right now, but it's the next console, I'm sure I'm going to end up getting more games to play. I use my ps3 for netflix only. The ps4 controllers are an incredible upgrade. I didn't think so at first but once you actually use one it's amazing.

In short, I miss nothing about the PS3 except leaving some friends behind, I could list reasons to switch and they would continue until sometime next week.

When I look at PS3 footage or Snapmatic, I wonder how I played it so much, it just looks so outdated, the array of connectivity and freezing issues are also something I'm glad to see the back of.

There really is no competition between the both consoles, 9 years separates them and it shows.

Edited by DavidCore89
  • Like 2

In terms of quality control I think the PS3 pads were better, my PS4 pads are already showing extreme signs of wear. However the PS4 is a lot more functional. 

As for my PS3, it stopped reading game discs shortly after I got my PS4, still reads blu-rays so its now used solely for that purpose in my bedroom. 

It's a world of difference between the two consoles in terms of GTA play. I wasn't going to bother buying it again for the PS4 then I saw the 1st person trailer and it blew me away. I replayed the entire story mode in 1st person where possible, had to switch out for a few missions but it gave me a complete new experience for GTA. We do need to do more 1st person jobs as a crew in preparation for the heists. I heard that there will be special unlocks if the heist crew does it all in FP.

I can't compare crew play between the two consoles but the additional 14 players that can be added makes playing online a richer experience.

Honestly, I only really play GTA V on my PS4.  Of course the graphics are better, they should be since the system is what... 10 years newer?  Technology and all that...

Since R* didn't really give us anything "new" on PS4 content-wise (we have some new cars and neon lights... oh joy... lol), it really isn't worth it unless you get a good deal.  I bought my PS4 with the GTA V & The Last of Us Bundle.  So I only ended up spending $400 for everything.  If it wasn't for that deal, I'd probably still not have a PS4.  R* still has the same issues they do with PS3.  On PS3, it shows the game invites as disabled for most people, which means you can't invite friends or crew members into your lobby unless you go through the "long way" to do it.  R* just started having this same issue on PS4 starting last week, I think?  Highly annoying.

The PS4 is good in other aspects, but since I only really use it for Netflix and GTA V... there's not much I can really say.  It's better graphics, same shitty R* service.

I never played gtao on my ps3 but did put in over 40 hours in the campaign. I got my ps4 as a shared Xmas present between my Lil bro and me. Just like LV_jag I got the GTA 5 bundle.

The difference was not that apparent at first, I mean sure the ps4 looked better but I still had no reason to want to play it. Of course the more I played it the more I loved it.

I mostly play gta 5 and battlefield 4 ( i got it not too long ago when it was $12 on psn) and the games do a magnificent job of creating beautiful visuals and if you use a high fidelity/surround sound system the games becomes that much greater, I play with head phones and do notice a larger difference of quality in the sound design.

Don't get a ps4 just for GTA V but do get it to play with friends who have a ps4 and the ever growing ps4 library. I would recommend getting a PS plus account because of the free games for the PS 3/4 too.

Tl;Dr the ps4 is good as advertised but you can still hold off on getting one til more games come out

tumblr_m8l94nfFrG1r5jta4o6_500.gif

One day the sadness will end.

I'm mostly in the same boat as DC but in terms of sheer graphics prowess .. the gap isn't that large for me. I suppose I had much higher expectations. There's obviously the jump from 720p to 1080p which is nice. There's obviously some improvements like increased draw distances, greater color contrast, smoother rendering, more texture mapping and a bevy of other additions .. but I honestly feel underwhelmed by the transition.

Don't get me wrong, if I'm gonna play GTAO I'd rather play it on a better system but GTA V for PS4 seems like a rush job. I wouldn't even consider it a "mid cycle refresh" either. Obviously the goal from R* is to push what they can to meet their bottom line and the rest is profit. I think that shows here.

First person is great and all, it's a great layer but so much of it feels rather superficial. The PS4 is still a relatively new system so it's gonna be a couple years before they really start to tap the potential of it but GTA as a title on PS4 is not leaps and bounds better than its' PS3 counterpart. It's funny because A LOT of the SAME problems exist across both consoles. Granted that's on R* but at the same time frustrates me as a paying customer.

For me, I was going to get a PS4 at some point. Unfortunately the time for me to do so was earlier than expected (mostly to game with you guys) - what's worse is now being forced to pay for online (yes it's not much but it's annoying seeing how things like this are now following that path as well as absolutely NO BACKWARDS COMPATIBILITY). So undoubtedly there are some serious tradeoffs going to PS4, depending on who you are. At this point in time the PS4 is not what the PS3 was over PS2 or even PS2 over PS1, it's not living up to its' hype at this point. It kinda sucked almost having my hand forced to continue play on a new system as it was equally as shitty on R* for releasing GTA V as they did. I would of much preferred they went the route of quality and did all of their developing exclusively for next gen systems.

: FIRE :

"If you ride like lightning, you're gonna crash like thunder." - The Place Between The Pines

It's inevitable to move over to it, i guess it's just at what cost.

Specifically for gtav, I was quiet excited about it, specifically for new gen graphics and I was left disappointed at first.

The jump wasn't anything spectacular, there is a bit more detail but yeah I wasn't amazed as I expected to be.

With that said, after playing for a while on it and switching back to PS3, the graphics really are a lot better. The biggest thing is how glitchy it is. Basically you see lots of white lines along the screen all the time, and you freeze up all the time. That's when you start to realise it's much better.

As someone else said the controller is heaps better but If you don't know any different it doesn't hurt..

I only play gta at the moment and haven't even touched story mode. I do have 4 other games but not enough time to play them yet :P there are some awesome titles coming out exclusive to ps4 and you just have to weigh up what you want from the system.

I will still keep the PS3, still have many games I haven't played and it's not worth much to sell.

scottyb1988.jpg

• 1 month later...

I am waiting until the slim 4k versionn comes out sooo yeah long @$$ wait, was tempted to purchase one 2 weeks ago but luckly the $ did not clear in time, I am going to spend the remain time till then, playing old ps3 games I did not play before, and retire the ps3 for good or sell it and fix my other ps3 idk.

• 2 weeks later...

I love my PS4. I love GTA V on it. The controller fits my big hands so much better!

I still have my old PS3 tru the original Playstation and the all work fine.

I only grow in living soil!
Because Fat Buds Matter!