Bad controller?

My controller has developed a mind of its own. Admittedly I do have trouble sometimes that is completely my fault, so I thought it was just that. But I have been having trouble with what seems like buttons being pushed by themselves, when my fingers are nowhere near them. It only happens when I'm in a vehicle. It goes to change the radio, or fire the SMG, or often makes me bail out of the vehicle while its moving.

Has anyone else had a controller go bad and act this way? Is it time for a new controller?

EDIT: I have tried corded and wireless, same problems.

Edited by BrianM

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BMSTANG

• PapOiteE

• DavidCore89

• newyork-nightmare

Seems like you need a new one. I've had that problem before. 

I have literally been through 10 controllers in 5 years. My kids are rough on everything! 

On my 4th Microphone too. Havnt used it this week yet, all I know it could be busted already. 

"You have enemies? good, that means you stood up for something in your life"

newyorknightmar3.jpg

i got one now, my newest controller. 100% dead. wont light up to charge. 49.99 on shit

newyorknightmar3.jpg

ps3 one, just looked and saw my kids broke off a pin in the slot

newyorknightmar3.jpg

Pfft. I have 3 controllers.  

2 of them are from back when I purchased the original 60 GB PS3 (fuck it weighs a ton in comparison) back at it's launch and 1 of them is newer from the Uncharted 3 PS3 Bundle I think early 2013. All 3 work flawlessly still.

: FIRE :

"If you ride like lightning, you're gonna crash like thunder." - The Place Between The Pines

Mine is about 4 years old, but has only been used alot for the past 4 or 5 months, when I got into GTA5. It sat in my closet for a few years. But I got big hands and am pretty hard on it. I snapped a thumbstick off the controller for my PS1.

I've never had problems with mine other than occasionally having to reset them so they will charge. My daughters on the other hand had a 2 week old controller that wouldn't charge, it was only usable if plugged in.

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

:default_sign0081:

We've recently started getting the kids Rock Candy controllers, they seem to take a pretty good beating at $20.

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

:default_sign0081:

Yeah, I have an original 60g controller that likes to spaz out. I'd be driving and all of a sudden my car just goes right or if I'm walking/running, my character will run in circles to the right.

I have 4 controllers, but had to get a new PS3 when the 60g YLOD on me. It only has two usb ports though and with the headset taking up one I sometimes have to use it, especially if friends come over.

alchemist3321.jpg

sometimes (rare) when you drop the controller the circuit "jumps" off from its "rail" and R1 etc get stuck, this may happen on the cheapest models, R1 and L1 "float" on the casing and only thing that keeps them on right "track" is the button circuit and the contant surface, if one of those move the button gets "stuck"..also R3 and L3 (in cheap models and some older Sony Controllers) the analog stick has bad habbit of dry out or wear so the stick starts to lean, and / or there is some dirt between the upper casing and the stick and it cant move..

all of this will result controller behaving oddly, also some cheap models has "lag" between PS3 and Controller..

and if your controller stops recharging and working it may be battery failure, i have had few original ps3 controllers with faulthy battery (Model Mk11-2902 610mAh) and they just stoped working and the battery started swealing and it was like pregnant whale when i removed it also when battery starts to well..turn to whale inside your controller it may but some pressure on the inner chassis and some buttons will stop responding (like PS button)...

Hey Matus, thanks for that info. Now that my old controller is a spare I plan to take it all apart and see whats going on inside. It sure has been dropped a couple times, onto carpet at least. Just hoping I don't stumble upon a gang of vicious spiders in there.

About motion sensing, all this time I had no idea they could do that. Tried it with the helicopter and was amazed how responsive it is! Too much tho, I had trouble landing, had to turn it off.

I still use my original that came with the 80G monstrosity. Hell i still have the 80G monstrosity. Also have 1 additional controller. It's pink, and OEM. No problems other than a short battery life on the original. I run the 80G NTSC which I think was bought in 2008. Holy Shit! Its old.

Dodgeservice.png

Guys I have a question.

My old controller that came with my 120gb slim is very different from this one that im using now. My old controller was extremely precise, the sensivity of the analog sticks and R2/L2 were very accurate.

But i bought a new one and it is way different. The analog sticks and R2/L2 are not as accurate as the old controller. Do you know why?

Guys I have a question.

My old controller that came with my 120gb slim is very different from this one that im using now. My old controller was extremely precise, the sensivity of the analog sticks and R2/L2 were very accurate.

But i bought a new one and it is way different. The analog sticks and R2/L2 are not as accurate as the old controller. Do you know why?

I assume both were genuine Sony controllers?

Was the last controller also a DualShock 3?

I had a similar worry about one of mine, I bought it as a replacement but the R2/L2 feel very slack as opposed to my old controller which had very tight and stiff R2/L2 buttons even though it had been used for much longer.

Both of mine were the same DualShock 3 but one is limited edition gold and it seems to have the same issue as yours.

Edited by DavidCore89