Loading Issues

revbouncer

As some of you know since the last patch, I've been experiencing extreme difficulty in getting to the 'online' part of this game.

It won't load straight from the start screen at all anymore.

From story I can't join friends or accept jobs as I always get 'player no longer in session', even if they just sent me an invite?

I tried many ways to get online and think I have a solution.

Well, it's working for me 95% of the time.

1 load game, let it go to story mode.

2 switch character to either Trevor or Whatshisname

3 choose closed crew session from there.

4 wait for a job invite or load up a job and host it.

5 At the end of the job select 'freemode', don't just quit or chances are you'll get stuck in the clouds.

Hopefully this helps people get online with minimal stress.

If Trev don't work try Whatshisname instead or vice versa :)

There is a msg on GTAF to unlink PSN account from RSC, not sure if that helps. Trying it now. I've got back on twice using my method above, but when accepting job invites it says no longer in session and I get stuck again.

Hopefully this idea helps.

I almost NEVER join Online from the start screen. I almost never accept invites from SP to try to get into MP (because it doesn't work for me).

I 99% of the time start by going to the menu from SP:

Online >> Join Online >> Invite Only.

I have very little issue getting into online that way and then I accept invites or do whatever.

• Like 2

: FIRE :

"If you ride like lightning, you're gonna crash like thunder." - The Place Between The Pines

Unlinkibng PSN doesn't seem to wrk as now you have no access to crew, so then you just have to relink it and same old problems... player no longer in session..... This is beyond a joke.

it was in off topic to start with?

whats the difference? off topic is off topic?

such pedantics?

Calm down, I wasn't trying to enforce any laws here :blink: 

It's a GTA technical issue related thread so I moved it to the same forum as the others.

From now on I'm not gonna bother moving, editing, commenting or objecting to anything anywhere, It always backfires on me and I don't work here.

When I have issues, what had worked for me is from SP, pause menu/online/select character/select the character you want to use and BOOM. So far, it's worked every time.

I tend to go to Online from SP, then select 'Closed Crew' in case someone feels like goofing off in company.  Too many kiddie types in public sessions for my tastes.  The most common message when failing to join an invite is that the 'room' is full and I get bounced back to my CC session.

Rev - one suggestion that might help would be to put your PS3 into the DMZ on your network.  I'm not a huge fan of putting ANYTHING in a home network outside the firewall, but the prevailing wisdom is that PS3's are pretty safe from attack.  I personally wouldn't do it, but I gather that plenty of peeps do.  If you try it (and it fixes your issues) then we at least know the problem is fixable by correctly configuring your router/firewall and you can hide the PS3 behind the firewall again.

Yours Aye,

~Bear™

I almost NEVER join Online from the start screen. I almost never accept invites from SP to try to get into MP (because it doesn't work for me).

I 99% of the time start by going to the menu from SP:

Online >> Join Online >> Invite Only.

I have very little issue getting into online that way and then I accept invites or do whatever.

This is how I have been doing it recently and rarely have any issues

smoggy1979.jpg

@Rev - basically, a "DMZ" is a special area of your home network that bypasses the protections provided by the routers firewall.  (A firewall is the hardware and software 'shield' that guards your network from potential hacking via the internet).

It's probably best if we arrange a time to chat real time and I can walk you through the stuff that would apply to your environment.  It can look a bitscary, but it's actually pretty simple when broken down into small steps, as long as they are done in the right order.  I maybe new to PS3 gaming, but I've been a network admin for a lot of years, and if you can program a PVR/video recorder, you can handle this.

And if there are any other network guru's or PS3 connection experts in the crew, lets get a group chat thing going and share the knowledge.

In the meantime, some light reading is recommended...

Putting a PS3 into the DMZ; http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-General/Fasting-up-PSN-Putting-PS3-in-DMZ-Mode/td-p/38334567

You'll notice a number of people warning about the dangers of having a device in the DMZ, and recommend doing that as a LAST RESORT fix.  I agree with them, but I'm an old school network guy and would rather identify the root cause and fix that.  

HOWEVER, putting the PS3 into the DMZ for a short time to test your connectivity problems would help identify where the trouble is located.  If the PS3 works fine in the DMZ, then the issue is the router/firewall configuration and that should be fixable (using port forwarding).  If the PS3 still has the same problems, then the issue lies beyond your router/firewall and you should get your ISP to test the modem/connection/latency/etc. 

Port Forwarding is the preferred method, and these articles outline what's needed for PS3 (Sony) connections and Rockstar...

Rockstar server port forwarding; https://support.rockstargames.com/hc/en-us/articles/200525767-GTA-Online-Connection-Sync-Problems-Losing-connection-to-online-games-empty-lobbies

Playstation port forwarding; https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/241'>https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/241

To access the router/firewall setup, you'll need to login to the router on your ps3/PC/Laptop, so you may need to contact your internet provider to get them to give you the router login name and password.  While you're at it, explain what you want to do, and they may well help you do it.

Yours Aye,

~Bear™

Edited by 54_Bear

I read on GTAF that if you spawn at your last location it helps. So I  did that and went to pay n spray ( for the old timers) then asked for a new session and it worked straight away. Every other time finding a new session from a closed crew session hasn't worked. try it if you have problems.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info but id rather not stuff around with my ps3 when we all know the problems are with the servers.

They aren't.

Not saying the servers don't have ANY problems, just saying this problem is not a server issue otherwise we would ALL see the exact same problem.

No offense but your 5 steps are pure superstition and not based on anything other than coincidence.

Delete the game install data, delete the game utility data, KEEP the game save data, then reinsert your disc and reinstall the game and it will install the latest patch clean. 

I am pretty much going to do this for every patch until PS4. 

If you then still have issues check this thread out:

http://www.domesticbatterygta.com/topic/2095-how-i-fixed-my-freezingtimed-outroom-dropping-problem/#entry28372

Eliminated a TON of my connection and freezing issues with this game...it still happens sometimes, but now it is rare like it should be.

if you follow those steps you are going to eliminate everything except R* server issues. I have found that R* server issues impact the game very minimally.....except during unannounced hotfixes/maintenance work.

Edited by handcuff_charlie
  • Like 1

handcuff_charlie.jpg

Thanks HC

Willing to bet you just need to wipe and reinstall.

I recently had a lightning strike that cut the power to the house for a few seconds while I was online in GTA. The PS3 had to go thru its "file restore" process, ever since then I have noticed an uptick in freezing problems.

However I have had someone else tell me that I am not the only one who gets the hard console freeze anytime I go into the "view joined players" option in a job lobby. Started happening sometime recently maybe after these hotfixes.

Edited by handcuff_charlie

handcuff_charlie.jpg

Funny you mention that HC. Same exact thing happened to me due to a severe thunder and lightning storm earlier this week. Same process. I freeze less now lol.

I don't bother checking into View Joined Players anymore for that reason because it happened to me a ton, I know it's happened to Rev as well.

: FIRE :

"If you ride like lightning, you're gonna crash like thunder." - The Place Between The Pines

I did the steps HC suggested at around the same time, It's helped quite a lot, specifically with room dumping, I can now host large lobbies with no major issues.

I have also done the restore file system (option 3) but not after a freeze, I manually put the PS3 into recovery mode and did it.

It's worth noting that if you select restore PS3 system (option 5 from the recovery menu), that will erase everything from your PS3, do not do this unless it is required.

Edited by DavidCore89