Z-Type Or Not To Z-Type?

G37

The addition of spoilers adding traction as well as the new Pigalle got me re-thinking the Sports Classics genre. It's one of my favorite classes, and for better reason too because they're so uncommon to find in races.

For the longest time the Monroe has been my absolute favorite and go to vehicle for races in this segment. I loved its' personality and of course it's quite the looker. I didn't mind how tail happy it was because it's an absolute hoot to learn to control and it's no slouch in a straight line or top speed, of course at the cost of traction and braking abilities.

The Pigalle was an interesting addition as it made use of having a spoiler and it was quite unusual being FWD. Interestingly enough what it lacks in overall gusto in terms of acceleration and top speed, it perhaps has the best handling and it does have the best braking abilities in the class. It just takes corners so well.

My question now is, for those of you that have used the Z Type (now that it's unfortunately over powered again) - how does it compare for you between these 2 Sports Classics?

I very well may keep the Monroe and Pigalle for different purposes and wonder if the Z-Type fits in as a 3rd vehicle or if it is better in certain situations or if it really trumps both of them in everything.

I don't really want to buy one and have all that cash go down the toilet and would rather base my decision on experience from you folks.

: FIRE :

"If you ride like lightning, you're gonna crash like thunder." - The Place Between The Pines

I haven't seen anyone race a Z-Type for a long time, never mind be beaten by one  :lol:.

I like the Monroe and I like the Pigalle - I think the Pigalle has better top speed, it's much more stable when it gets there and it handles corners much better.

I only race the Pigalle - I know everyone else will pick the Monroe but that car usually spins out at least one time in every race.

• Like 1

I'm not skilled enough to handle the z-type (same with the Monroe I'd guess). Haven't driven the Pigalle in a race yet, but I reckon it'd be more suited to my abilities.

Hm, yeah. The Pigalle is just .. slow to get there but seems to take corners much better so the trade off of acceleration for traction/handling seems true and interesting.

I haven't driven a Z-Type since December and never for races so I can't reach back on experience .. and it still seems like it's the "best" in class, hmm .. 

I just wish this was a more popular class in racing. Hell, all of them .. minus Compacts and obviously excluding Sports/Supers.

Edited by G37

"If you ride like lightning, you're gonna crash like thunder." - The Place Between The Pines

I may have to make a $1M+ plunge to find out if I like it. Shit.

Well. Did a 1 lap test for the stock versions of the Pigalle, Monroe and Z-Type around Miami Horror for shits and giggles.

I know I can squeeze more out of each car but I don't think it's necessary as each 1 lap was clean and took as close as possible to the same lines. 

Pigalle: 2:32:009

Monroe: 2:30:260

Z-Type: 2:28:457

Wow. Did some testing with Custom cars.

Monroe: 2:26:442

Pigalle: 2:20:043

Edited by G37
  • Like 1

Over a million dollars and some sort of wide turns later, I answered my own question. Just like the others. 1 lap.

Z-Type: 2:17:901

First time driving it in months. This things unfair and has a top speed almost identical to the XF. Broken game. Long live the 1930s Sports Classics, I guess.

0_0.jpg

Edited by G37

It's a great looking car, but I agree--it's very overpowered for what it is--how does a car from the 1930s keep up with a Lamborghini?  These are the questions that keep me awake at night.

However, despite that, I've warmed up well to the Pigalle, and I use that in races instead of the Monroe.  Don't get me wrong, I still like the Monroe, but the Pigalle handles so much better and I have seen quite a few Pigalle over Monroe victories since its release.

The price tag is what steers me away from the Z-Type.  Like I said, it's a great looking car, but costs almost as much as an Adder.  :o

• Like 2

Absolutely superb car! I own one and I use it often. Once you get use to the difficult handling and understand that the cars petite so don't hit anything, then it's actually a really great car.

I've fully modded mine, and I'd say it can really match a super car at top speeds

This thing is .. so stupid lol.

I never thought I'd hear myself say that I .. actually like the thing. It's pretty predictable too.

I guess I never not liked how it looked, just how damn good it was was something I hated. I use it as a FR vehicle at times now lol.

• Like 1

I'll stick with my JB700. It won't win many races, but I think I'm the only one in the crew that has one. And it has the best styling IMO. You just can't beat and Aston Martin DB5.

@G - Just for fun, you should test a JB700 and compare it with your current times.

Edited by Dodgeservice

Dodgeservice.png

I'll be honest I don't think I've ever really driven it before. I'll throw some laps around stock vs stock and see how it stacks up for me.

It used to be a decent car. I could hang with DC89 in his Z Type until a long straight with it. But then Pigalle came out. After that came out Ssracing and Hatch both ran circles around my car in Pigalle's. So I dont know if its performance was reduced, or if the Pigalle's is just that overstated. But now I'm curious since you've been testing them.

Dodgeservice.png

I can tell you for sure the Pigalle is quite good. Probably the most stable of them and has the best brakes, the spoiler really helps things. But I'll keep you updated.