LimeGreenLegend

The Hurricane [RSC Film Club 18]

LimeGreenLegend

This month the film club is all about biopics, as submitted by @Fido_le_muet.  Although this is the first time that it has been an official genre, we have had a few biopics in the past such as Max Manus, The French Connection and Rush.  This month we return to the world of sports with the 1999 biopic of boxer Rubin Carter, The Hurricane, nominated by @omarcomin71.

HURRICANE MOVIE POSTER Original DS 27x40 DENZEL WASHINGTON Boxing ...

The film, directed by Norman Jewison (In The Heat of the Night, Fiddler on the Roof, Moonstruck) tells the story of middleweight boxer, Rubin "The Hurricane" Carter (Denzel Washington) who was wrongfully arrested and convicted of murder in 1966, and sentenced to life in prison.  He was released in 1985 thanks to the efforts of Brooklyn teenager Lesra Martin (Vicellous Reon Shannon).  This is another film club selection that I've not seen yet, but this has an excellent director and lead actor telling an incredible true story, so I'm looking forward to checking it out.

here comes the story of the hurricane...

• Like 2

Con

When I met my wife she was the first person to have me watch The Hurricane. Pretty sure it was the first time she saw me cry, must have been all that saw dust in the air that got in my eye. lol. I don't remember every detail of the movie so I look forward to seeing it. I'll let you know in the review if i peeled onions while watching it for the second time.

• Like 2

DavidCore89

Nice, haven't seen this in years.

• Like 3

Spinnaker1981

I think I will watch this with my wife....

• Like 2

omarcomin71

This is available to rent on Amazon prime. Also available on Cinemax if you have a subscription. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

omarcomin71

I watched this last night.  I’ll wait to submit my review till the end of the month. However I will say,  @Con I managed to get something in my eye as well. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Con
8 hours ago, omarcomin71 said:

However I will say,  @Con I managed to get something in my eye as well. 😉

Cooking with those darn Habaneros while watching movies again, LMAO. Told you not to touch your face.

• Haha 1

djw180

A fine, very moving film. Quite relevant at this time as well. Denzel Washington is a great actor and this is great example of his talent, well worthy of his Golden Globe win, with good support as well. I really didn't realise how long this was, nearly 2 ½ hours, until watching the extra features on DVD with the director talking us through the scenes he had to leave out to keep the running acceptable. Whilst I agree with that from a film-making point of view I'd have happily had this longer. I guess this is true of any biopic, if they are good I always want to know more. In particular I'd like to have known more about the background of the Canadian trio who did so much to get Rubin Carter freed, once their young friend from New York kicked them into action. And I'd also like to know what happened to the corrupt, racist policeman who put him in jail in the first place (I'm guessing not much). But of course it wasn't their story, it was Rubin Carter's. One scene I did think could have added a lot, but again I understand why it was left out, showed Liev Schreiber's character finding the taxi driver who arrived at the nightclub Carter was at before he left, and confirmed that he had overheard the police radio discussing the murders before he arrived at the Club, so Carter clearly could not have committed them, they happened before he left the club. But even decades later the taxi driver was too scared of the local police to make an official statement on that.

This is one I'm sure I'll watch again one day. 8/10.

• Like 2

omarcomin71

The Hurricane 

I don’t often get excited about Bio Pics. It’s hard for me to get motivated to watch a film when the eventual outcome is already known. Now there are times when I am unfamiliar with the story. However even if that was the case with The Hurricane the movie starts with the near ending of the story and finish’s with flashbacks through the reading of Rubin Carter’s book. I loved this format! 

I was riveted throughout this entire film. Rooting for an injustice to reversed.  

Denzel Washington is great as Rubin Carter as he fights with his inner demons and learns to trust white folks after never having a reason to. 

This movie is a bit poignant for the times as both white and black stereotypes are broken.  I found myself tearing up towards the end of this movie with great emotional performances by everyone. 

Two big thumbs up! 

• Like 2