A question for those pro players at racing

VALL_es

A few days ago a guy talked me about something called brake boosting. Probably it would be faster to search it on YouTube, but considering almost all of the youtubers clickbaiters and knowing that there are some people who race regularly in this game, I think it would be better to ask for a honest opinion. Is this thing really useful? How many advantage can you get using this?

• Like 1

I have seen laptimes using those things, and it seem to work. I dont think anyone in our crew currently using it, and i never bothered to try and learn it. 

• Like 1

I think you are quicker than me @VALL_es so I may not be qualified to answer!

As far as I know there are two types of brake boosting...

The basic type, when you accelerate just as you change gear (lower gears) let go of the accelerator, tap the brake then hit the accelerator again. This will force a boost in acceleration.

It is easiest to hit with muscle cars/rear wheel drive sports cars when practicing alone. Just listen to the engine as it drops off on a gear change, with practice you’ll start to hit it.  Not so easy to hit when racing though.

You can also use this technique when hitting larger bumps in the road, I can never hit this correctly and you may need @Mark Verstappen or @Bkmoto28 to explain this one more clearly.

• Like 1

Can you smell what the Stone is cooking?

44 minutes ago, omarcomin71 said:

You’re fast enough @VALL_es don’t worry about it. 😜

My point exactly 😂

Brake boosting for a ‘bump’ explained here...

• Like 3

I don't know the differences between all these boosts, mainly because I'm not interested enough and I could probably never pull them off in a race.

The only one I use is the handbrake when exiting a hairpin turn to make the revs hit the limit for longer. f*ck knows what it's called or how to explain it :classic_smile:

• Like 3

If you master it it's useful, but if you get it wrong you'll lose more time than you gain if you get it right, because you're basically just braking on a straight.

I've never tried it because I find it ridiculous that you can go faster by braking over any tiny bump in the road.

As @Lann said, no one in the crew does this, I think @Spinnaker1981 went through a phase when he was trying it all the time but I'm not sure if it even helped.

What @DavidCore89 does is called "mid drive speed boost" or "double clutch" I think.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Potato said:

"mid drive speed boost" or "double clutch" I think.

This is half the problem, the number of different names for the same thing!

This is the one I can pull off, rarely try it during racing though as it slows you down if you get it wrong.

• Like 1

Thanks for all your answers. I was just asking for this because a guy in our crew managed to be 2/3 seconds per lap faster in a track where you have to press R2 98% of the time, and he said it was because he uses this in every race, not for owning modded cars. I tried it and yes, is useful, but I only managed to do it correctly in 1/5 laps so... I guess it's too risky for mortals xD.

• Like 1