Dear Basketball [Film Club Extra 05]

LimeGreenLegend

A few days ago the sports world lost one of its most beloved and iconic figures when Kobe Bryant, one of the greatest basketball players of all time, tragically lost his life at just 41 in a helicopter crash which also took the lives of eight other people, including his 13 year old daughter Gianna.  This impacted not only the basketball world, or America, but the entire globe.  

Kobe didn't just win championships and awards on the basketball court, he also won an Oscar for the film he wrote, narrated and produced, Dear Basketball.  It took home the Oscar for Best Animated Short Film in 2018.  In the film we see Kobe as a child dreaming of being a player for the LA Lakers while adult Kobe narrates, reading the retirement letter he wrote to honour the game he loved so much and changed his life.  

Image result for dear basketball poster"

The most important thing is to try and inspire people so that they can be great in whatever they want to do - Kobe Bryant 1978-2020

Edited by LimeGreenLegend
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

I will write a review for those 5 minutes of this animated short when I get the chance to really absorb it. I did not become an NFL player. I did not gain a decimal point of achievement in Pro-Football. I did not even play semi-pro. Due to my limitations, I would only play in sandlots and assorted city-leagues of Flag and Touch-Football. I never will experience what Kobe lived through. But I can say, I can write a similar letter to American Football. You see, American Football was my ticket to acceptance in a new place I never chose to find myself in. American Football changed my childhood and American experience. I will always love it and be grateful for it.

Edited by Con
  • Like 1