For kicks

Lann

What do you do for kicks? Small or big. 

Why do i ask? It seems sometimes something might feel missing, or things  simply feeling way too everyday ordinary.  So, what do you do about it?

I do research for kicks. I enjoy investigating and getting to the bottom of shit for fun. I love space stuff and for years have been wanting to start a space thread so i can share the cool shit i see and learn. I get a kick from learning and debunking shit. For kicks I also watch stand up comedy as much as possible. But when I think things are getting really mundane, I think i subconsciously gravitate to a darker side of life. I will tend to visit the real life gore sites and watch disturbing videos and i guess that makes me say, "shit is boring, life is stagnant, but at least im not THAT GUY!!!",  as i watch a video of some poor dude being tortured and dismembered and I think that brings me back to being grateful for being alive and not suffering. Oh and I love being vegan, so I always have something I can contribute to the lifestyle and the vegan community, so that keeps me engaged all the time. Life is great, even when its a little boring. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Indeed the experienced need for kicks can simply be your ”basic needs” being filled for too long and you dont need to focus on filling those. Remove anything of that (health, security, food, money, love..) and the need for kicks disappear. 

But it can be hard for some minds to simply sit back appreciate what you have.

Edited by Lann
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lann said:

But it can be hard for some minds to simply sit back appreciate what you have.

Yes because many focus on the stressful parts of living. How can I enjoy my life when I’m stressed out about how and why my neighbor is doing better than me materialistically?  

I bet today no one will come up to me and say, I’m envious of your health, Con. But if I drove up in a shitty 2020 Land Rover, some folks would get jealous of something like that. 

My most solid advice to people that are hating themselves or are depressed cause they think their life sucks, is to get up and volunteer at the soup kitchen, you don’t have to make it a career hobby. Just go, be amongst people that would trade places with you in a heartbeat. It will change your perspective and sometimes that’s all we need.

Hiking, guns, dog training, GTAO, my kids sports events and training, refinishing furniture, sparring with my son, and reading when I remember to.

I'm not that great at anything, but I enjoy all of it. I'm pretty boring really. I like it that way.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Jjss924 said:

I'm pretty boring really. I like it that way.

You don’t sound boring bro. Boring was me when I used to live at Church. Wanna go have a drink?...can’t, church. Wanna go camping on the weekend?....cant, church.  Wanna go F****?....can’t, church. I was boring cause I was doing the church thing really extreme. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Con said:

I do research for kicks. I enjoy investigating and getting to the bottom of shit for fun. I love space stuff and for years have been wanting to start a space thread so i can share the cool shit i see and learn. I get a kick from learning and debunking shit. For kicks I also watch stand up comedy as much as possible. But when I think things are getting really mundane, I think i subconsciously gravitate to a darker side of life. I will tend to visit the real life gore sites and watch disturbing videos and i guess that makes me say, "shit is boring, life is stagnant, but at least im not THAT GUY!!!",  as i watch a video of some poor dude being tortured and dismembered and I think that brings me back to being grateful for being alive and not suffering. Oh and I love being vegan, so I always have something I can contribute to the lifestyle and the vegan community, so that keeps me engaged all the time. Life is great, even when its a little boring. 

+1 for the space thread ! Have you seen that MASSIVE black hole they found recently ? Several billions times the mass of the sun. Occupies 3% of its galaxy! Space is insane. Do it already !

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Fido_le_muet said:

+1 for the space thread ! Have you seen that MASSIVE black hole they found recently ? Several billions times the mass of the sun. Occupies 3% of its galaxy! Space is insane. Do it already !

You know im familiar with Abell 85 cluster! The black hole has a mass 40 Billion times larger than our sun. Lmfao. And yet here we are with people thinking they are significant because of the amount of cash they leave behind when they die. Hahahahaha 

how about the intergalactic comet I mentioned in the shout earlier...that thing would turn our planet into a fiery mush of it were to hit us. 

Or how about when the new photos of the Pillars of Creation came out in 2015? 

Edited by Con
  • Like 2

I'm a boring person. The older I get, the less I want to do. Social Anxiety and a dislike of people in general doesn't help. 

Anyways.

I like history and music. I'm only on Facebook because  of a couple groups about history and abandoned places. I enjoy searching google for something and just following links for hours. Put me on wiki and I'm good for the day, lol. I do the same with music on you tube. Start with a song and let auto play take care of the rest.

I especially love reading about true crime with a heavy emphasis on Serial Killers.

I also love the outdoors/nature. 

Working on my old car can be fun as well but being a career mechanic has killed most of that enjoyment these days. Nearly 3 decades of working on other peoples junk takes its toll ;)

Edited by SINISTER120
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

I just did not, but rather made the right decision. Feels good. Sometimes i can feel a bit religious, but then i keep that to myself. Be kind and good always.

If you have a wife and kids, you already have it all IMO :)

Sometimes you can try everything and search everywhere and not find what's missing, I've been guilty of that. Last year I blew 6K on trying to make myself happy/happier, it didn't work and I knew it wouldn't because the best things in life are free, but it didn't stop me trying.