Google Stadia

22 minutes ago, Smurf said:

That's a loaded question, but firstly let me deal with my simple work around for persons living outside the 14 countries that Stadia operates in, those 'game not available in your country issue people.'

I solved that problem by adding Browsec from the Chrome Extension & using it as a free reliable VPN.There are alot of free & monthly charged VPN out there that does not meet the minimum bandwidth requirements Stadia needs to operate. Save yourself the trouble & install Browsec & set the available non premium location as close to you as possible.

'Stadia Pro' is free for 2 months. This works on Windows PC, tablets and for other sellect Google branded devices as far as I know, and then there is the controller situation whether be it wired or wireless you might have issue there if done incorrectly. If you're adding the controller wirelessly you do not want to do it directly through the device Bluetooth, as it cause driver issues from time to time, it's a general issue with mouse & keyboards ..... you would use the Add Device option in Control Panel for smooth sailing. Just hold down the share & ps button to pair,  until the flashing light show.

Cool, so we could play on our Chromebook then?

Gonna sign up and see how it goes, I assume we can connect DS4 via Bluetooth or USB and be good to go.

Can you smell what the Stone is cooking?

@Smurf Just signed up and had a whirl, two months free trial then £8.99 a month which can be cancelled at anytime.

Really surprised how easy the whole thing was, I used my Microsoft Surface and plugged in an old DS4 before I set anything else up.

I am not often so impressed but was immediately blown away with the combination of simplicity and quality. Fired up Grid and was racing within 5 mins (would have been quicker but for the unskippable game intro). Controller worked fine, game looked great and responded well, sound was good too!

However halfway through my first race it went really laggy and I was dropped to last place ☹️

I am guessing playing over wifi doesn’t help, I do have an old PC I could possibly hook up to the TV and played over a wired connection with.

Next race was flawless though (despite being NASCA). 👍

Really looking forward to seeing how other games play, might even try Red Dead seeing as it free! I may even keep my subscription running after the trial period.

Thanks for the tips, one happy Chubb here 😊

• Like 2

That is a good price for the service.

I love the pay one price and access everything services. I don't miss the days of paying 60 bucks for a game.

I haven't touched mine since it arrived.

Tried Destiny, got a lot of latency with 200MB connection, put it back in the box. Only picked it up as it was cheap.

Google have no chance of properly breaking into the console market, not with something like this. Nintendo have been trying to get their foot back in the door for years.

@DavidCore89 I have a 50mb fiber connection with a default latency of 67ms acriss all platforms, unless there are dedicated server the ms might be in the 50's. 

I have a latency free experience while playing Destiny 2 on Nvidia GeForce Now vs Stadia I feel that it's slightly slow when shooting enemies.

@Sinister Stadia Pro subscription only gives 2 free games per month, the rest you will have to pay up to $60 for some even a few older games, that's crazy.

Edited by Smurf

Just to update...

@Sinister Red a Dead is not free for Pro members, just reduced in price slightly, I got a bit excited there during my clicking and tapping.

@DavidCore89 I can imagine Destiny would be a bit more revealing of any issues compared to a quick blast on Grid.

I’m gonna be a bit more selective of my next gaming choice as I get a few free games a month (thanks @Smurf for reading the small print for me 😉).

So it is just like PS+, Xbox Live, etc. Makes more sense then because giving everything for free seemed excessive for any company, lol.

I still avoid expensive gamel. It means I don't play them when brand new but oh well 🙂   Since everything I buy is digital these days paying $5 for basically nothing is much easier to do.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

The new markets include Austria, Czechia, Hungary, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, and Switzerland, bringing the total number of countries the cloud gaming service supports from 14 to 22. The service should be available in the newly added locations within the next 24 hours, and Google says you just need a Gmail address to sign up

first two free-to-play games (Destiny 2 and Super Bomberman R Online)

Google is now gearing up for its biggest game launch ever: CD Projekt Red’s Cyberpunk 2077 arriving on consoles, PC, and Stadia simultaneously on December 10th. The company is running a limited promotion that gives users who preorder the game (or buy it within its first week) a free Stadia Premiere Edition, which includes a Google Chromecast Ultra and Stadia controller.

• 3 weeks later...

Pro's Play :

Its technology is more powerful than that of a PS5 & the hardware just gets update.

Game Client & Sever are in the same location at the Google Data Center encypedso latency will be low. (EG. My ps4 latency is 63-85ms vs Geforce Now its 6-38ms their Game Client & Sever are in different locations hence higher ping).

No special Expensive Consoles needed, play on almost any devices (Support is coming to Nvidia Shield, though you could currently side load the app).

Play with Keyboard & mouse. Any controller even the new ps5 & Xbox Series X/S controllers if you so desire will work, if the battery dies in one just grab any other brand control & game on.

No need to buy a hugh hard drive space to install games, or having to delete a game to install a new game or hard drive upgrade, all games are in the cloud just click wait for it to load & play.

No waiting for a game's DLC to download & then install, just wait for the exact time the update will be live, log in & play. This is beneficial to Content Creators, as they might get the lion's share of Stream Views and subcribers vs the other platforms.

Crowd Play allows you to watch a youtube streamers live stream click and join them in game but its under the control of the streamer.

Stream Connect Split screen to co-op play or in a multiplayer game on a single display not limited to 2 player & or bring up some views of your teammate's positions. This would be sick in C.O.D.

Cross platform Play is fully supported by Stadia, & game saves are supported but it is in the hand of the developers.

Con's:

It's Google they cancel a lot of of their products. it would be a shame if cancelled the service leaving you @$$ out.

In Cloud Gaming how are you going to know if a game company is throttling your in game progress that makes it harder to attain various objectives ,in attempts to get you to just buy  

You need 50mb connection speed. Depending on your provider you might have a data cap, in that case Stadia might not be for you as you'll hit that cap easily.

No manual game saves to a usb device. In story driven games with multiple paths this would be useful as to mitigating a certain direction or item you missed out on, so you might have to replay the entire game up to that point due to you being locked out of that area for good. It could also be for a specific award trophy, display, menu, controller or keyboard & mouse settings.

Google does not yet have a STREAMING DEVICE that can properly run Stadia, & stuff installed on other devices can hinder your performance though you have the best internet connection in the world. You can remove them, but we are not all tech savy nor should we be they need to get that done along with Luna, Nvidia, Sony & Xbox . (Kinda triggered about this 😬 why they raise blood pressure).

Edited by Smurf