As a crew: assisted or free aim?

The_Lady_A

This has been mentioned a lot by a lot of members, so I think we need to consolidate everyone's views so event hosts in the future can start making plans.

Do we as a crew that used assisted aim in GTA5, continue to use assisted aim or switch to free aim? Right now it's a bit of a redundant question as we don't have the ability to run playlist events yet, but that is coming, presumably with the option for forced settings like in GTA.

My personal preference would be for combat PvP within the crew to use free aim. Because almost all weapons have a low rate of fire, it really does seem to be a contest of who can get the 'lock and upward flick' first. Add to that the usual R* lag and I must be honest I don't find that very fun. 

Against NPCs though the assisted aim is basically required, and I would like to continue to use it there. 

What are your thoughts?

• Like 2

I played a large portion of the story mode in free aim because I really wanted to go that way but just couldn't get used to it. It's just as bad as in GTA. IMO these games are without a doubt made for auto.

I'll play whatever the different hosts decide upon for their events but on my own it will always be auto aim.

Edited by Banketelli
  • Like 2

Feels awkward in free aim, especially with third person. Just like GTA, isn't really made for it.

I think the vast majority of the crew will play assisted, can't see them changing either.

I would play some free aim stuff when we get options for it.

Edited by DavidCore89
  • Like 1

I like assisted better. Especially with weapons that are usually not one shot kills. Nothing sillier than two guys standing 5 feet apart shooting at each other for 30 seconds. In DMs people often resort to melee. 

Because the assisted aim seemingly isn’t as accurate in RDR2 as it is in GTA I think/hope it will be even more skill based. 

Edited by pete_95973
  • Like 1

tenor.gif?itemid=5199497

I find the Assisted Aim in combat jobs to be completely unenjoyable and unrewarding for me. It just ruins the entire wild west PvP combat experience. Assisted shooting is so OP in RDO and there's no counter to it. Doesn't matter if I'm stationary or running and weaving like hell, anyone can just point and shoot me in the head faster than I can say "bollocks". Another example is that in a DM-type job I saw a red dot on the map near me, in some shrubbery, couldn't see the player, but could lock on... so I did, flicked my aim up a bit and took a shot. BOOM, I had just managed to headshot @Con with my Carbine Rifle though massive plants without even seeing him thanks to the almighty Assisted Aim, because that's how shooting works in the 19th century apparently. It works similarly in GTAO, granted, but in GTAO there's a lot less of that kind of wilderness getting in the way in general.

No kill feels satisfying/rewarding to me using assisted aim in RDO combat jobs and after every respawn all I can think is "I wonder how long can I run before someone locks onto my head and takes me out instantly from 40+ yards...".

(Doesn't quite apply in free roam versus randoms though, interestingly enough.)

Free Aim would make more sense, make every shooter work a bit harder, concentrate more on getting a kill and every kill would be oh-so-sweet. And when you get killed yourself you can actually say (and mean it): "Good shot!". They should've implemented that in PvP, but nope. This shouldn't be as fast pace as GTA because it is not the same modern combat.

If I ever host a combat event in RDO, it will be using Free Aim. I'll attend events that have Assisted Aim, but I won't be there for the combat experience in that case.

Versus NPCs AA still makes sense, mainly because they seem to be using AA anyway. In public free roam as well. Just don't want to experience it again in PvP jobs.

Edited by Protocawl
  • Like 3

I have yet to try the free aim option. I will check it out. Only reason I want a big fan of it in gta was the encounters became these one dimensional see who can strafe faster. Now I dont see that in RDR2, yes you sway but not like in GTA. 

Edited by Con
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, pete_95973 said:

I like assisted better. Especially with weapons that are usually not one shot kills. Nothing sillier than two guys standing 5 feet apart shooting at each other for 30 seconds. In DMs people often resort to melee. 

Because the assisted aim seemingly isn’t as accurate in RDR2 as it is in GTA I think/hope it will be even more skill based. 

I do find my shots a bit inaccurate even if when the aim dot is red. I think the old guns just won’t have the accuracy of the GTA weapons but I also think that after the beta we will get some type of skill meter and make us more accurate too.

Edited by Con

39 minutes ago, pete_95973 said:

6 minutes ago, Con said:

I do find my shots a bit inaccurate even if when the aim dot is red. I think the old guns just won’t have the accuracy of the GTA weapons

From what I've seen, once you know exactly how and where you need to shoot/flick aim, it will become irrelevant. Some randoms already seem to have nailed that down pretty well and even I seemed to have got it figured out with the Carbine after 2 matches. Didn't enjoy the kills at all though. Even less getting killed in the same way myself... over and over and over by the same random, whether I was crouching stealthily or running upright. (Oh and there's no need to even flick the stick when someone is crouching, their head is already in the auto-aim crosshairs.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

For headshots it may be better to aim for the jaw or face rather than the head. 

I had some deaths where I swear I’m hitting the guy in the head three times and it’s doing no damage. I saved a couple clips and watched in slow motion and it looks like my aim is perfect but with slight recoil I might be missing a little high. 

@DavidCore89or @Banketelli  or @ProtocawlHave you noticed this? How are you doing? Let’s teach each other! Yeah tougher playlists but good for beating randoms and making us a great head to head crew. 

3 minutes ago, Protocawl said:

From what I've seen, once you know exactly how and where you need to shoot/flick aim, it will become irrelevant. Some randoms already seem to have nailed that down pretty well and even I seemed to have got it figured out with the Carbine after 2 matches. Didn't enjoy the kills at all though. Even less getting killed in the same way myself... over and over and over by the same random, whether I was crouching stealthily or running upright. (Oh and there's no need to even flick the stick when someone is crouching, their head is already in the auto-aim crosshairs.)

Share with us? The randoms do seem tougher than GTA randoms. But that may be because the hardcore people are playing right away. 

Edited by pete_95973
  • Like 1

tenor.gif?itemid=5199497

4 minutes ago, pete_95973 said:

Share with us? The randoms do seem tougher than GTA randoms. But that may be because the hardcore people are playing right away. 

Didn't save any videos yet.

Just switched to Free Aim and went 3-7 in a shootout. Its bad to test against randoms since 90% of the time I was trying to move my dot but it just moves way to slow, even with the look acceleration up. Did not feel like GTA at all in that respect. Took way to long to aim at the head and then better hope that bullet actually kills them as it failed to do at least twice. So perhaps its something for certain crew playlists like Proto said, he would host FA playlists. I will at least try one playlist in FA. 

14 minutes ago, Con said:

Just switched to Free Aim and went 3-7 in a shootout. Its bad to test against randoms since 90% of the time I was trying to move my dot but it just moves way to slow, even with the look acceleration up. Did not feel like GTA at all in that respect. Took way to long to aim at the head and then better hope that bullet actually kills them as it failed to do at least twice. So perhaps its something for certain crew playlists like Proto said, he would host FA playlists. I will at least try one playlist in FA. 

I definitely don't encourage anyone to try using FA against randoms, at least not until there are actual FA only lobbies. Otherwise you'll just put yourself at a colossal disadvantage since all randoms are using AA settings.

3-7 is a pretty good result in those circumstances, though, Con!

1 hour ago, pete_95973 said:

For headshots it may be better to aim for the jaw or face rather than the head. 

I had some deaths where I swear I’m hitting the guy in the head three times and it’s doing no damage. I saved a couple clips and watched in slow motion and it looks like my aim is perfect but with slight recoil I might be missing a little high. 

@DavidCore89or @Banketelli  or @ProtocawlHave you noticed this? How are you doing? Let’s teach each other! Yeah tougher playlists but good for beating randoms and making us a great head to head crew. 

Can't really say I have. Headshots are not quite as easy as in GTAO but when I get them it seems to do the job. 

Some weapons are definitely more accurate with the upwards flick than others. The varment rifle is basically built for it with low recoil and high ammo capacity, dealing death across the map to AI in a mission felt very rewarding. Just going pop pop pop.

After coming  out of the mission me and @Crawford1872 were attacked by a random with a Varment Rifle, and it was pretty much instant pop headshot stuff as soon as there was lock on range. Most of which was through heavy foliage, so it was really more "stare at mini-map and keep mashing L2 until there's lock-on".  They were faster than me so I was literally helpless. Crawford got him a couple of times, but was got four or five times.

Another thing I'm kind of basing my opinion on is when we had a little scrap with a couple of randoms during 2bros earlier, I was faster than one so insta-killed them a bunch of times, and I was slower than the other so got insta-killed by them a bunch of times. The respawns were nearly all so close you could start lining up shots by the time they were back.

It's all just so instantaneous and reflex dependent. I'm sure part of my complaint is because I'm not the best at it, but to be honest even if it's against someone I am better than, I still don't find it very rewarding. 

• Like 4

I would be up for giving it (FA) a go in a dedicated lobby. After the amount of hours sunk into GTA I wouldn't have thought it'd be too difficult to switch between the two. If anything it would improve your combat in assisted aim also

• Like 1

I didn't even bother to try free aim because the whole control system seems clunky and slow in response time even when the dead zone is set to zero and the look/aim is all the way up. When you actually kill someone it feels uneventful and shooting the wrong person is common place in free roam. Hopefully there will be a way for you to know who you're aiming at properly . I would be okay with the 1st Red Dead Redemption aim controls and reaction time for future R* games. Also has anyone figured out how to break loose from someone tackling you to the ground and you eventually getting pommeled to death, I spam the indicated O button but to no avail. If free aim lobbies are a thing I might as well switch to free aim on the next login & be clunky with verybody else in the lobby, but at lease having a fighting chance if their aiming is off a bit.

Edited by Smurf
  • Like 1

Also I don't know how this one slipped me, but why can't I press L2 to actually take out the last used weapon & immediately aim, instead the only method is to press L1 to take out the last used weapon, then L2 to aim ? make no sense not having the L2 ready & waiting for you to unholster & aim as well with one button press.

i've traditionally always used aa but after playing alot of rdo i think id personally prefer fa once the lobbies and game modes are fa only. the fa does feel quite slow and everytime i play pvp on tall trees, i find myself staring at the minimap more than the screen ?

Competitive Thursday, TDM madness 8pm GMT