What is it about Soccer?

JustHatched

And to be fair I do not watch any main stream sports, but I know Soccer gets little love in the United States.

SO what is so special that gets non Americans wound up about it? And why do you suppose the USA doesn't take it as serious as the rest of the world?

I will watch at least one FIFA match to try to figure it out as well, tell me what I should be looking for ....

It is an appropriate venue for venting pent up nationalism.

As for why the USA isn't as big on it.....

Obviously there are multiple reasons, but two of the big ones would have to be the following:

We have our own sports that are ingrained in our culture from way back when we were a very anti-europe country. 

We do not like sports where playing the victim card to try and sway the referees and gaining an advantage (free kick, penalty shot) is a part of the game. It just doesn't go over well with Americans. This is something foreign basketball players have to adjust to as well, in the NBA Manu Ginobli use to have the worst reputation for being a "flopper" and players and fans hated him because of the habit. He was an excellent player which was what alienated so many people because he didn't NEED to flop, but for him it was a natural way to play. Americans hate that shit, and I am glad we do.

We also do not like sports that frequently end in ties.

Edited by handcuff_charlie

handcuff_charlie.jpg

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• vishesh_91

• Pb76

• Cotick20

• ssracingn2

It is an appropriate venue for venting pent up nationalism.

As for why the USA isn't as big on it.....

Obviously there are multiple reasons, but two of the big ones would have to be the following:

We have our own sports that are ingrained in our culture from way back when we were a very anti-europe country. 

We do not like sports where playing the victim card to try and sway the referees and gaining an advantage (free kick, penalty shot) is a part of the game. It just doesn't go over well with Americans. This is something foreign basketball players have to adjust to as well, in the NBA Manu Ginobli use to have the worst reputation for being a "flopper" and players and fans hated him because of the habit. He was an excellent player which was what alienated so many people because he didn't NEED to flop, but for him it was a natural way to play. Americans hate that shit, and I am glad we do.

We also do not like sports that frequently end in ties.

I might agree with you on the first but definitely not the second one...

I have lived in the US 75% of my life -- and the biggest reason was when I asked that question -- not enough scoring in soccer! Which is a very silly reason -- sometimes a 1-0 baseball game is more exciting then 15-12.

Personally, I think the main reason is that most of US dont play the game -- that's why they dont understand the excitement for the game... Most fathers dont come outside with their kids just to pass the (soccer) ball around, but most of them do throw the baseball around with their kids... I am 'guilty' of that as well considering I like soccer more then I like baseball (unless we are talking about the CUBS)... :)

Edited by Cotick20

"Get busy living, or get busy dying." - Andy Dufresne from The Shawshank Redemption...

cotick20.jpg

Yeah, there's many reasons, I grew up playing soccer and tennis, age 5 to 18. My dad is british, I was exposed to soccer my whole life. So for me I see what is going on in the game and the momentum shifts and can grasp good play vs bad.

Me personally I no longer watch any sports nor follow them. But when I did fo ralmost 30 years of my life...religiously almost....soccer was still a fairly distant 4th behind NFL, MLB, and NBA...sometimes even falling behind Formula 1

handcuff_charlie.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Where to begin....

I haven't read the other posts, so here goes:

It's a beautiful game that is continuous.

Being an American I get the hate and the sheep that buy into the media and promotion of the NFL. But upon further review there was a study about the NFL where literall only 11 minutes of each game are action....the rest are doing a huddle or staring at a coach. I also hate the way games are reffed to where it's totally controlled outcomes...same as the NBA.

I don't knock those sports and follow them, and there are bullshit fouls/PKs/red cards in football that can control a game, but with the constant flow of the game it's not as blatant as a PI call in the NFL or fouling LeBron James .

For me, it's the passion and global awareness. I'm not one of those Americans that think only our sports are the best and soccer is for pussies....having played, having your ankle rolled is a lot worse than any injury I have obtained playing hockey.

It's tough to explain because I get asked this a lot out here, but none of my answers seem good enough and it's a pussy sport compared to the NFL in many people's eyes.....granted, most are meat heads with a low intelligence level.

It's definitely a sport you like or you don't. If you appreciate consistent play, tactics, and skill, this is up your alley. If you simply want to see someone get knocked out then it's not your sport. Football (soccer) to me is a lot like baseball because of how hard it is to score....I appreciate those traits instead of someone simply blowing a whistle and putting a team in field goal range to win the game.

I feel like I could go on and on. I play with a lot of our Euro members and they trip out an American is so into football and knows the history. I really wish Americans could at least understand it or give it a try opposed to the mentality that Americans are great and so is the NFL. If they don't like it, they don't like it....except for the World Cup where everyone comes out of the wood works and is suddenly a US supporter.

• Like 5

alchemist3321.jpg

To me I just can't watch it on tv and haven't put time in to learn it. The slow pace kills me just like baseball. I don't hate either sport and won't talk bad about it however I just don't watch it.

The only "sport" I constantly will watch on tv is auto racing.

To me I just can't watch it on tv and haven't put time in to learn it. The slow pace kills me just like baseball. I don't hate either sport and won't talk bad about it however I just don't watch it.

The only "sport" I constantly will watch on tv is auto racing.

The question is -- what do you consider slow pace?

Does slow pace mean -- no goals -- because you cant use that reason in any sport -- lack of goals doesnt necessarily mean slow pace in any sport -- take hockey for example... incredibly fast pace, but for the most part not a lot of scoring.

Does slow pace mean -- not enough action -- cant really use that either -- look at American football -- average play lasts about 8-10 seconds, the rest is basically standing and talking about what they are going to do for those 8-10 seconds...

Cant really compare baseball to soccer because in baseball the play last less then in American football -- in soccer there is hardly ever stoppage of time, and if there is, like injury for example -- they actually add it to the 90 minutes of play...

I do have to admit there are soccer games that are incredibly boring to watch -- because the team/teams are not trying to win and just wasting time -- but that happens in all sports.

"Get busy living, or get busy dying." - Andy Dufresne from The Shawshank Redemption...

cotick20.jpg

The American perspective is it's pussies diving and low scoring/slow play.

But for the most part, people I talk to have seen one game (likely Serie A or La Lige for diving) and consider it a slow sport. I grew up playing hockey and compared to football (soccer) it's the same as far as pace and no time off. To be fair, I don't thnk a lot of Americans watch the games and just go by the jokes and media out here. You see way more scoring chances in a football match than our sports but the consensus is that it's slow. Yet a 1-0 baseball game is a pitchers dual or a 6-3 NFL game is a defensive struggle.

But the game is picking up here at a rapid pace in the States and soon a lot of the bullshit about the game will subside.....granted we have a lot more Chelsea and City supporters haha. 

• Like 1

alchemist3321.jpg

The question is -- what do you consider slow pace?

Does slow pace mean -- no goals -- because you cant use that reason in any sport -- lack of goals doesnt necessarily mean slow pace in any sport -- take hockey for example... incredibly fast pace, but for the most part not a lot of scoring.

Does slow pace mean -- not enough action -- cant really use that either -- look at American football -- average play lasts about 8-10 seconds, the rest is basically standing and talking about what they are going to do for those 8-10 seconds...

Cant really compare baseball to soccer because in baseball the play last less then in American football -- in soccer there is hardly ever stoppage of time, and if there is, like injury for example -- they actually add it to the 90 minutes of play...

I do have to admit there are soccer games that are incredibly boring to watch -- because the team/teams are not trying to win and just wasting time -- but that happens in all sports.

You are correct with slow pace in all regards like I said I don't watch on TV American or other football, baseball, basketball, hockey or any other sport. I wouldn't be opposed to watching any sport live because either something going on with game or other activities at the stadium.

On tv give me the fast action of nascar, IndyCar, f1, grand am, or any other racing series and I am happy. I watch sportcenter for information on my teams.

On tv give me the fast action of nascar, IndyCar, f1, grand am, or any other racing series and I am happy. I watch sportcenter for information on my teams.

I am not trying to be a smart ass -- but I feel the same way about car racing as you do about the other sports -- I can watch a little of it -- but for the most part its the same thing over and over again -- car accidents makes it more exciting but I dont think thats the intention of the drivers...

We all have different interests, and like different things, and thats okay -- I am just sad that most of my fellow Americans do not understand how beautiful of a sport soccer is!...

cotick20.jpg

See I'm not trying to come across as an ass either. My son played soccer one year and if there was a team in town and I had nothing else to do I would go.

As for racing I understand where you are coming from. To me it is a fine art of cars being almost out of control and the drivers at their limits as well. Racing to me is like a perfectly placed corner kick into a bicycle kick or a header for a goal I think.

I am not opposed to any sport I just like to watch at the stadium the tv just doesn't do it justice.

Edited by ssracingn2
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I believe that it is about traditions, traditions and money.

A sport that has a big public interest will generate money that will create better opportunities for the sport to grow. When the sport can offer early advantage, as scholarships in college along with a pro-league, it will secure the regrowth. For example, in the states you have a college system and a pro-league with a big focus on Football, Basketball, Ice hockey and Baseball.

One example, maybe one of many?

I do not think that the actual nature of the sport is a factor at all, for example I think the gameplay of Basketball, “Soccer” and Ice Hockey and more similar than any of these compared with and “American Football” or Baseball.