What is it about Soccer?

JustHatched

And to be fair I do not watch any main stream sports, but I know Soccer gets little love in the United States.

SO what is so special that gets non Americans wound up about it? And why do you suppose the USA doesn't take it as serious as the rest of the world?

I will watch at least one FIFA match to try to figure it out as well, tell me what I should be looking for ....

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

:default_sign0081:

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• vishesh_91

• Pb76

• Cotick20

• ssracingn2

It's the beautiful game, the passion and endless support is addictive  ;).

It's the only sport which can bring the whole world together as one where everyone speaks the same language, that language is football.

In some places of the world it's the only way to be free of poverty and give a better life for their family.

It's growing in the US probably faster than any other country in the world so I'd expect it's popularity to rise along wit the MLS brand any any other franchising, merchandising and sponsorship, the players who are moving to play in the MLS proves it - although the paycheck and the fact that these players are past their peak for European leagues is a big factor.

I know many Premier League teams have set up an affiliation with MLS clubs allowing players to be loaned, pre-season friendlies and other corporate deals which result in a growing reputation for MLS clubs.

Premier League champions (global money bags) Manchester City and the UAE embassy built at least 5 state of the art training and youth facilities in various US cities to help aid the development of local children in North American cities so I would expect the level of players and popularity of football to rise massively over the next 10 years.

Also you guys (USA) qualify for every World Cup, get behind your team  :P

• Like 1

I like soccer (or football), but I can't say that I follow it closely.  I've been to our local games (Portland Timbers) and a game in Seattle (The Sounders), and both have quite the following.  I had such a great time, and I also watch the World Cup when it is on.  In fact, last World Cup, the place where I was working at the time had every game running, and we were constantly taking breaks to watch it.

I think the fact that it allows a tie game or draw is one of the reasons it is not as popular in the United States.  Most American sports focus heavily upon an undisputed winner, and that is the number one complaint I hear regarding soccer among American audiences.  Also, the fact that it's a low scoring game--most American sports are heavy on higher scoring action like basketball (which was actually invented by a Canadian) and "American" football.

I pretty much like all sports to some degree through.  Of course, as you know, I'm a huge baseball fan, and that isn't exactly popular in Europe. :)

In India the most followed sport has always been cricket,but in the past 4-5 years football has grown a lot.Nowadays major Premier League clubs like Liverpool,Man Utd and Arsenal have opened their academies in the main cities.It can take over cricket in the next 10-15 years here.

Its a thrilling and unpredictable game,and football fans are very passionate about their clubs.I've read about people committing suicide when their team lost an important game.More recently someone in the UK lost his house in a bet.Thats how crazy people are about the sport.

I dont know much about the following in the US,but the MLS is definitely progressing.Some big European players are finishing their careers off in it.David Beckham(one of Englands best footballer in the last 20 years) is doing a lot to promote it there.He's come up with his own team as well.

Now if you're planning to watch the World Cup games the semi finals and finals should be good picks.

The best teams to watch out for are Spain,Germany,Brazil,Italy,Argentina,Netherlands.

• Like 1

The only soccer I watch is when we have to wait for the to finish their game before we can use the field for softball.

and when my kids played it back in the day.

Again, no offense to any sport I dont watch. My wife told me If I took up watching another sport she would leave. 

Womens arena football was almost tempting enough to help her pack. 

• Like 1

"You have enemies? good, that means you stood up for something in your life"

newyorknightmar3.jpg

And to be fair I do not watch any main stream sports, but I know Soccer gets little love in the United States.

SO what is so special that gets non Americans wound up about it? And why do you suppose the USA doesn't take it as serious as the rest of the world?

I will watch at least one FIFA match to try to figure it out as well, tell me what I should be looking for ....

Soccer is by far my favorite sport and I often wonder why when I see the diving soccer players. Especially on USA-made movies where they compare it to the tough guys of American Football or rugby.

My reason for loving soccer is the love for ball-games. No other ball-game needs a control of a ball like soccer. Give a pass within a second, use the perfect speed and effect needed and put it right where you want it.

Or obviously a shot on goal, it gives a thrill to hit it just like you want and see the result. Like tennis (but there you miss the passing part in the game). Or like snooker/pool (no teamplay but even more fun with effect). In volleyball the control of the ball is limited my one touch. Basketball doesn't have the curve in a shot.

Hockey is very close, mainly on a tactical level. But again less fun with the ball-control.

Giving a deep pass in American Football towards a player who broke free of defenders and time it perfectly is close to one given in soccer. Or a body movement/fake pass is comparable. Even tactics are somewhat close. Closer then volleyball anyways :)

That's why I always wonder why people who like football don't like soccer, they are comparable sports. For me it's the other way: I don't like the roughness, pauses and strangely shaped ball but do appreciate the team play, tactics and individual skills involved.

Check this movie (skip strange beginning). Ronaldinho was a physical player using ball control and body movements to put off other players. A perfect guy for football-loving people I would think. http://www.dumpert.nl/mediabase/6599296/34869bdd/komend_wk_voetbal_zonder_deze_man.html If you love a ball you should love this stuff I would say...

• Like 1

I always thought that the accessibility of the game is what made it so popular. Almost everyone can play the game. All that is needed is friends and a ball.

kQ4fIRp.png

I always thought that the accessibility of the game is what made it so popular. Almost everyone can play the game. All that is needed is friends and a ball.

And a goal post

I cant stand soccer or golf or any sloooow moving game.

Most professional soccer leagues are not slow! In order for anyone to understand why -- you would need to understand the skills required to play, and the rules written and unwritten. And, I think here in the US the biggest misconception is that a sporting event requires a lot of points in order for it to be considered exciting, thrilling, or action-packed...

Edited by Cotick20

"Get busy living, or get busy dying." - Andy Dufresne from The Shawshank Redemption...

cotick20.jpg