RDR2 Early Thoughts and Reviews

omarcomin71

Hey everyone!  It certainly appears everybody is enjoying Red Dead 2.  What are your overall thoughts so far?  Is it worth the money?  Is it entertaining enough to play alone without crew mates or friends? 

Another question I have is, would it be worth buying if you only had maybe a day or so a week to play?  

I’m thinking of getting it this week but won’t have much time to play other than on my one day off. 

I’d really appreciate everyone’s reviews thoughts and criticisms so far. 

Thank you!  :) 

• Like 1

I'm enjoying it so far and yes I can play it alone. I love you guys but I've been gaming for decades now and have been plenty entertained. The best games made are played alone.

Great graphics, well written characters and a huge sandbox map full of things to do. I recommend everyone play it no matter how much time they have. I am DONE with GTA unless something major happens. 

That said, I know everyone is different and if you just want to take part in playlists and what not involving crew members and killing one another. I would wait until the online portion is released and what exactly there is to do is known :)

• Like 3

The storymode itself was nothing that interested me, i could just as well watch something good on tv tbh. 

But since i hope that the online will bring something competitive to the crew, something I want to be a part of, I figure storymode is a great way to practice and not to be too far behind everyone once online drops.

Now that I am playing storymode i must say i really like it, but i cant wait to see what can be done in online. I just hope it has what i am looking for. I am afraid i cant see it being as versatile as gta, but i hope its versatile enough.

Tldr: Get it

Edited by Lann
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, omarcomin71 said:

Hey everyone!  It certainly appears everybody is enjoying Red Dead 2.  1. What are your overall thoughts so far?  Is it worth the money?  Yes.

2. Is it entertaining enough to play alone without crew mates or friends? Yes

3. Another question I have is, would it be worth buying if you only had maybe a day or so a week to play?  Yes.

1. It's pretty amazing so far when it comes to how alive the world truly is with all the details. I spent $100 but you don’t have to spend that much if you get standard edition. 

2. As you know, at the moment we only have single player and I’m having fun just exploring this new world and really fleshed out characters. Every time I’m riding with the posse I can’t help but see crew members riding and that is gonna be cool. 

3. I’m not the biggest fan of westerns or this time period and I also have limited gaming time during the week. But I think it’s worth having it ready to go when the online kicks in for sure. 

So get it, download it, and do what I’m doing, playing it for an hour here and there, just to get familiar with the mechanics. 

Edited by Con
  • Like 1

The pragmatist in me says you should get it Omar. It's going to cost that much for a long time yet most likely, so there's no benefit to not having it if you can afford it. 

The map is big. Really big. Story mode does a good job giving the land character and meaning. The writing is entertaining enough, with some amusing set pieces so far. And if you stick to the story the difficulty isn't such that it should feel like a grind to get through (go off the rails though and it'll bite you like a cougar).

• Like 1

The Awesome: Graphics. The detailed world. The immersion. 

The Good: Fleshed out characters. Really get the feel the time period. So much to do and see.

The Bad: You have to micro-manage your character by feeding him. The third person character body control is brutal and have been exploring the towns in first person to avoid running into people and getting hit with crime & murder accusations.

The Ugly: It's gonna require time commitment and dedication to buy all the luxuries. 

1 hour ago, Con said:

The Awesome: Graphics. The detailed world. The immersion. 

The Good: Fleshed out characters. Really get the feel the time period. So much to do and see.

The Bad: You have to micro-manage your character by feeding him. The third person character body control is brutal and have been exploring the towns in first person to avoid running into people and getting hit with crime & murder accusations.

The Ugly: It's gonna require time commitment and dedication to buy all the luxuries. 

Yeah, I don't like the constant need for food at all. Couldn't stand it in GTA: San Andreas so I was glad it wasn't in V. I know many like it for the realism but uh, respawning after dying has always kept me from looking for realism ;)

I dont think prices are that bad at all.  I've found 16 gold bars worth 500 a piece. I have a horse, an outfit and some guns so I'm good :)

• Like 1

I loved the slow pace of the story. 

The food thing was kinda frustrating but what i did was check the time and eat 3 times a day in game, that kept at perfect all the time.

• Like 1

That's what i thought it took too but you pretty much have to eat three meat pieces a day or 2 meats pieces and scattered amounts of snacks.

Edited by Wulfherth

I know I am alittle late to the party but bought this yesterday thinking the story mode will suck and online will be cool. I was wrong so far the storyline is great and I love the graphics. Have spent more time riding around a looking than playing the missions. 

• Like 4

I was skeptical about story mode. I bought this for online. I think that even if online is a disappointment, story mode is good enough to make it worth buying.

• Like 3