ps3 cleaning

Finally popped open my ps3 slim this morning and man was it dusty, felt like an archeologist then I was a dead roach just chilling in the corn wth and the corpse of something else, guess it was the clash of the titans and my ps3 the arena. Anyways have you ever done this and what have you found as a result.

I dont dare, It might never work right again. 

• Like 1

"You have enemies? good, that means you stood up for something in your life"

newyorknightmar3.jpg

I haven't yet, but I will be soon.  I've been having heating problems so I ordered some thermal paste & a new fan.  

In the mean time I rigged up a ghetto forced air induction system, it's quieter than the PS3 when it goes into over drive so I'm happy for now, and most importantly I can keep playing.

• Like 1

I did it only a couple weeks ago. Cleaned it and then went a step further, and removed the drive cover to clean the lens, as my ps3 had major problems recognizing discs. Worked like a charm. Nothing fancy or risky really. Would never have done it if I still had a warranty though. :lol:  

• Like 1

I haven't yet, but I will be soon.  I've been having heating problems so I ordered some thermal paste & a new fan.  

In the mean time I rigged up a ghetto forced air induction system, it's quieter than the PS3 when it goes into over drive so I'm happy for now, and most importantly I can keep playing.

do you have a t8 screw driver? I had to improvise and use one side a tweezer to unscrew on the bottom to the front. What model is it because if its a 3001a then chances are you can't put thermal paste

do you have a t8 screw driver? I had to improvise and use one side a tweezer to unscrew on the bottom to the front. What model is it because if its a 3001a then chances are you can't put thermal paste

Yeah I have a selection of security torx screw drivers.  I forget the model, but it's an old fat one and if the paste won't work it's no big deal it was only a few dollars.

I used to have a guy do this for me, but he moved. Mine does need cleaning. Its on its last leg. Especially when my son says. "Daddy my game wont work"

Come to find out there are 3 discs jammed in there. 

"You have enemies? good, that means you stood up for something in your life"

newyorknightmar3.jpg

Not recommended if your console is under warranty as it will be void.

I've serviced both mine before but it's not a DIY job for noobs, vacuum cleaner is a no go.

Most don't realize that the GTAO issues are nothing to do with overheating since the PS3 will automatically shut down if the core temperature reaches critical level.

Most issues are server related or at the very worse - lens / laser problems.

• Like 2

Note that the lens / laser can be damaged by the GTA game requiring such a heavy load on the disc and it also requires the disc to be constantly read - unlike many other PS3 games.

My lens / laser was ruined and the disc itself was almost burnt, it had a strange burn pattern on it, a mate of mine had the exact same issue and Sony said it is not uncommon.

The laser / lens made the PS3 not read any discs at all, so if your PS3 is struggling to read discs then that is your cause, expect the PS3 to stop reading all discs soon.

I now use DLC games only, on 1 of the consoles.

Edited by DavidCore89
  • Like 1

No way I am taking mine apart. If it burns up there is 3 more in the house to use till I get another.

• Like 1

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

:default_sign0081:

I used to have a guy do this for me, but he moved. Mine does need cleaning. Its on its last leg. Especially when my son says. "Daddy my game wont work"

Come to find out there are 3 discs jammed in there.

it probably just need some cleaning and a probable new blue ray drive.

Not recommended if your console is under warranty as it will be void.

I've serviced both mine before but it's not a DIY job for noobs, vacuum cleaner is a no go.

Most don't realize that the GTAO issues are nothing to do with overheating since the PS3 will automatically shut down if the core temperature reaches critical level.

Most issues are server related or at the very worse - lens / laser problems.

youtube disassembly videos are good but definately not recommended for some noobs, high chance of shorting out the board or ripping ribbon cables I use a clean paint brush or you can use 'can air' to get rid of debree. Edited by smurf

Note that the lens / laser can be damaged by the GTA game requiring such a heavy load on the disc and it also requires the disc to be constantly read - unlike many other PS3 games.

My lens / laser was ruined and the disc itself was almost burnt, it had a strange burn pattern on it, a mate of mine had the exact same issue and Sony said it is not uncommon.

The laser / lens made the PS3 not read any discs at all, so if your PS3 is struggling to read discs then that is your cause, expect the PS3 to stop reading all discs soon.

I now use DLC games only, on 1 of the consoles.

what version of ps3 do you have?

what version of ps3 do you have?

120GB fat.

320GB slim (burnt out lens / laser)

Not sure model numbers.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

My ps3 do not read my gta disc, it does read the random dvds i have tried.

I have reset default and repaired filesystem through safemode (have worked before) but it does not work this time.

It did manage to read the disk once yesterday, but since last night i have had no luck.

Have anyone experienced anything like this?

I guess it has to do with the disc, or maybe the disc in combination with hardware in ps3.

I have seen the game downloadable on psn, but i rather not spend that money again.

I will probably get the DL version to PS4 as soon as the game is released (nov 7th?).

But it feels a bit boring not to play for 3 months.

Any tips?

Edit:

Digital game bought, 40 min to download 18GB.  :)

Edited by lann3fors

Its actually ridiculously easy to open these with zero risk to break anything unless you are doing it riding on the back of a galloping horse in the rain. As for your warranty, good luck with that, a few weeks to send it in, a few weeks til they get around to look at it, a few weeks til they send it back either fixed/cleaned or not......you will feel beyond stupid for bothering when you do it yourself and see how easy it is.

Covered it here:

http://www.domesticbatterygta.com/topic/2095-how-i-fixed-my-freezingtimed-outroom-dropping-problem/

Edited by handcuff_charlie

handcuff_charlie.jpg

You really cant damage anything unless you hulk-rage and rip out the fan unit. If you are too scared to unplug those two connectors then just leave the fan unit lying to the side and blow air through the cooling fins or clear away any blockage. 

Granted this all assumes you actually have an overheating problem, which probably 99.9% of PS3 owners probably do not, otherwise your console would literally shutdown as DC mentioned.

Don't believe me? Unplug the fan unit and run it and see what happens.

handcuff_charlie.jpg