Movies you should watch.

Spinnaker1981

Some of us are older and remember watching these movies, but not all of us are in the 30s and 40s and some might actually never have watched some very, very good movies from the previous century.

Now, I know everyone here has their own personal favourites, but, despite this, I would like to see which movies you would be pissed never to have found out they existed and would recomend watching to somebody.

Here is a list from the ones I remember on top of my head.

I am excluding movies that have somewhat recentsequels that might have driven to the vieweing of the previous titles.

And the list is in no specific order.

"The Good, the Bad and the Ugly" - Probably on of the best Westerns ever to surface. Clint eastwood at his finest in a Sergio Leone movie.

" La vita è bella" - Roberto Benigni shows his view of the Second World War in a comedy that touched my heart. Him translating the german oficer is something that never, ever will exit from my mind. And the hat swappings... funny shit, really funny shit.

" 2001: A Space Odyssey" - This is Sci-Fi, this is a Masterpiece. Stanley Kubrick´s Masterpiece. This one is, surely, in my top 10 best Movies ever. Star wars? Blade Runner? Not even in the same universe of quality.

" A Clockwork Orange" - If we are talking abut stanley Kubrick, then this is also a must watch. Another Masterpiece. Too Distopian for my personal taste, but Damn....

" Dead Poets Society" - The Movie that made Robin Williams. This is where Carpe Diem comes from.

" The Shawshank Redemption" - Stephen King´s with Morgan Freeman. Everyone says it is a Masterpiece. Though I don´t follow that train, I would say it is, defenitely a must watch.

" Born on the Fourth of July" -  Oliver Stone. It is a great Movie. And one of the best performances by Tom Cruise.

"Top Gun" - just to start the Tom Cruise train, I would say this is one of the best, if not the best, movie about fighter jets and dogfighting. It is not a Masterpiece, it is a great action movie.

"Days of Thunder" - Well, what I said about fighter jets, but change that to Nascar cars...

" Interview with the Vampire" - And yet another movie with Tom Cruise. No, I am not a huge fan, but he sure was in some very good movies back in the 90s, and he is a good actor, no doubt. In this one he counteracts with Brad Pitt to make a very good movie out of a very poor book series. Worth watching, no doubt.

"Se7en" - And, talking about Brad Pitt, a Dark movie with him, Freeman and Kevin Spacey, that I wish I could watch it for the first time again.

"The Shinning" - Yeah, I forgot about that one a little above... Stanley Kubrick again, in what is, probably, the best horror movie ever. Jack Nicholson does a fantastic job. That scene with the bicycle in the hallway is movie history...

" American History X" - Edward Norton in what is, probably, his best acting ever. Great movie also.

" The Silence of the Lambs" - Jodie Foster and Anthony Hopkins in another very solid thriller. I love Hopkins has Hannibal Lecter..

" Cape Fear" - Nick Nolte and Robert De Niro in another very solid thriller by Martin scorsese. 

"Heat" - Robert De Niro, Al Pacino, Val Kilmer, a very good story. This is in MY top ten. I love this one.

"Ronin" - Again Robert De Niro in the best car chases I have ever seen. And a great movie even without the chases. I love Jean Reno in this movie. It fits like a glove.

" Patriot Games" - Harrison Ford. We know him has Han Solo and Indiana Jones, but, has Tom Clancy´s Jack Ryan he was also very good.

"The Hunt for the Red October" - Now is Alec Baldwin has Jack Ryan, in another Tom Clancy´s novel that turned into movie. And, my god, what a movie. This is one of my favourite movies of all times. I love it. Sean Connery´s Ramius is perfect, the story behind is solid and the acting is also very solid. It is a great, great submarine´s movie. And the Music? Just watch it already!

" Who Framed Roger Rabbit" - The best movie ever to join cartoons with humans. Wanna know where the ideia for Space Jam came from? Well, here it is. And what a movie. Robert Zemeckis at his Finest. - And Jessica Rabbit´s "why don´t you do right"? That, again, is cinema history. 

" Aliens" - Ok, this one fall under the "having sequels later", but this one is so, so good, compared with everything that came after it, that it is a must watch. James Cameron made what is, for me, the best Alien movie out there. Right amount of action and right amount of thriller. The only Alien´s movie that even comes close is the first one, but, even that, is not as good, in my opinion.

Well, of course that is not it, but let´s see what everyone else has to say about this thread.

I think I need to go watch some of these movies again... :P

Edited by Spinnaker1981
  • Like 3

Predator (1987) - Alien that trophy hunts humans encounters a team of expert soldiers in the Central American jungle. The dialogue, memorable lines, great antagonist, great casting. 

Killing Zoe (1993) - Retired American bank safe-cracker decides to do one more job for a crazy pal in France. Things go horribly wrong. Visually traumatizing and great little twist. French with English subtitles.

Session 9 (2001) - Hazmat removal team is hired to clean asbestos at an abandoned Danvers State insane asylum and something starts taking them out. Great atmosphere, the tapes of the Sessions and how they count down the story adds to the tension. The last line of the film. Filmed in location but sadly in 2001 the state knocked down the hospital and condos have been built there now. Which has always made we want to write Session 10.

The Usual Suspects (1995) - Criminal gets caught during a multi-million dollar heist gone wrong and now has to reveal the crime boss that hired him. Great dialogue. Great characters. Great twists. Great storytelling. 

The Return of the Living Dead (1985) - Group of punk-rockers wait at cemetery for friend when the dead are accidentally awakened and now have to survive the many facets of the dead. This is the first film to have running zombies, talking zombies, brain eating fetish explained, zombies that display intelligence.  Great balance of funny moments and horrific moments. Some special effects are outdated but most are excellent for '85. As a kid, this was haunting but I loved it. 

Toxic Avenger (1984) - Gym janitor ultra-geek is thrown into toxic waste and transforms into a deformed muscle-bound vigilante as he seeks his revenge. It's the first Troma Film i ever watched and I wasn't disappointed. Plenty of gore and gross-out moments...graphic stuff. Both funny and gross, it's no wonder as kid I loved it. No way I should have been watching this stuff when it came out on VHS but I had a way to get around that at the video rental. 

Wolf Creek (2005) - Hikers on a trip to Wolf Creek Crater Park in Australia have their car broken down and are unaware of a serial-killer terrorizing the area. Now they must survive one of the most intimidating & sadistic slashers of all time. Based on the real Outback Serial Killer.

The Intouchables (2011) - A wealthy quadriplegic surprisingly hires an unconventional and inexperienced care-taker from the hood. They develop an amazing friendship that truly benefits both. French film that really got to me. Being four-years removed from being there for my elderly father in law, the caregiving element really hit home. This film is both funny and touching and handles the material superbly. The acting is top-fucking-notch. The Ludovico Einaudi soundtrack is a stroke of absolute brilliance and had me weeping like a fucking child at the end. 

Scarface (1983) - A man who gives up cocaine and crime to follow his dream of becoming a dishwasher to earn money so he can visit Cuba. No, that's only if you watch it backwards! :D A Cuban exile arrives in Miami and is put on a path that turns him into a cocaine empire king but with "success" comes enemies, betrayal, and ego. This film is perfectly cast and acted. It is grimy and dark. The action and violent sequences are amazing. The soundtrack has some of my favorite songs of all time. 

Moon (2009) - Space miner is about to return home after his assignment is complete but his health begins to mysteriously deteriorate which leads him to discover the truth about his situation. Sam Rockwell is a fucking star and he cemented why he is one of my favorites since his role as Wild Bill Wharton in The Green Mile. The reveal in that context is one of the most hauntingly sci-fi things I had ever seen. 

The Elephant Man (1980) - A doctor discovers a man with congenital disorder working as a sideshow and his compassion drives him to prove to society that everyone is worthy of being treated with dignity. Based on the real life of Joseph Merrick in 19th century London, this film chronicles what his life was like living deformed when at the time, defects were attributed to everything but acts of God. It's tough watching him get mocked and ridiculed. I wanted to murder everyone in the first hour of the film. 

Come and See (1985) - Young boy hides in forest with resistance when his village is attacked by Nazi forces  and his mistake of returning to the village spirals him into a nightmarish survival-mode where there is more despair than hope. Russian film with English subtitles. One of the toughest films I have ever watched. The acting is superb and at times i felt i was watching a documentary. The realism of this film will haunt you for days, especially the church scene. This isn't for the faint of heart. It is brutal and humbling. 

Network (1976) - A news anchor loses it on live tv and what should have been the end of the studio actually becomes the catalyst for what becomes a dangerous game of ratings greed ultimately leading to murder. The strength of this film is the script. There is so much dialogue to chew on and the social commentary still applies today. 

The Terminator (1984) - Killing-machine cyborg from future arrives in present and will stop at nothing to hunt down the woman who will give birth to the leader that will save the world from the computers that created said killing-machines. This movie has it all. A great villain, great story (if you can wrap your head around it), great action, and did I mention the villain is one of the scariest things to ever hunt down humans. I love this film because the concept of a robot hunting you down and you not knowing how to stop it, is fucking terrifying. Imagine right now...a fucking Terminator arriving in your town looking for you. googling your phone number, calling you pretending to be mom, arranging to meet you. Forgetyou, if you wouldn't be scared. 

Slumdog Millionaire (2008) - Orphaned boy is betrayed twice by brother causing him to lose the love if his life. Now an adult. he discovers the girl and his brothers whereabouts and learns she is trapped and devises a plan to get on television to send her a message. Danny Boyle does a magnificent job of crafting a gorgeous looking movie. The soundtrack, the cinematography, the locations, and the child actors all superb and worthy of that Best Picture award. I love trivia so during the "Who Wants To Be a Millionaire" craze, i was up and center. When I heard that this movie had to do with that show, I went to see it not knowing it's a love story at its core and yeah Con loved a girl like that once, and it reminded me that not every relationship gets a happy ending. 

Edited by Con
  • Like 3

Brazil

The King of Comedy

Sleuth (1972)

These are my three absolute favourite films of all time.  I could write loads about why each one is brilliant, but you should just watch them instead.

• Like 2

please wirte something about the movies you post. just a very small teaser (thriller, action, sci-fi, horror, who is in it, who directed it, just something... thank guys.)

@LimeGreenLegend @Con

• Like 2

@Spinnaker1981 Talking about racing the Hermes muscle car last night and referring the movie Cobra had me wanting to watch the car chase. 

For anybody who has yet to see the movie Cobra and likes 80s action movies this is a must watch.  Perfect amount of cheese and gratuity! :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, omarcomin71 said:

@Spinnaker1981 Talking about racing the Hermes muscle car last night and referring the movie Cobra had me wanting to watch the car chase. 

For anybody who has yet to see the movie Cobra and likes 80s action movies this is a must watch.  Perfect amount of cheese and gratuity! :) 

@omarcomin71 My Hermes is costumized to look like cobra´s car... :D

• Like 1

• A Bridge Too far One of my all time favourite films and one of the best war films ever made. About the Allies failed attempt to capture  the bridge over the river Rhein in Arnhem in September 1944. Apparently critics at the time did not like because they didn't believe the story. But it's all based on facts, just the usual certain characters merged, some things done by a different character to that shown in the film etc. The cast is a like list of the greatest British and American late 60's early 70s male actors, Michael Cain, Edward Fox, Sean Connery, Gene Hackman, Robert Redford, Lawrence Olivier, Elliot Gould, Denholm Elliot, James Caan, Ryan O'Niel, Anthony Hopkins
  • The Duelists Ridley Scot's first film. 2 officers in Napolean's army fight an inconclusive duel. One is happy to shake hands and leave it at that, the other insists on resuming the duel later. Renewed war and rules against duelling in certain circumstances intervene but over the years they keep meeting again and resuming their duel without one winning conclusively. Very well shot, great cinematography
  • Brazil Terry Gilliam's fim set in a sort of 1984 ish world. Not exactly a comedy but certainly not too serious, despite the subject matter at time; e.g. Michael Palin playing a torturer who inadvertantly kills the man he is meant to interogating, becuse he was given the wrong medical notes and didn't know the about the man's heart condition.

I'll probably post more later

Edited by djw180
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, djw180 said:
  • A Bridge Too far One of my all time favourite films and one of the best war films ever made. About the Allies failed attempt to capture  the bridge over the river Rhein in Arnhem in September 1944. Apparently critics at the time did not like because they didn't believe the story. But it's all based on facts, just the usual certain characters merged, some things done by a different character to that shown in the film etc. The cast is a like list of the greatest British and American late 60's early 70s male actors, Michael Cain, Edward Fox, Sean Connery, Gene Hackman, Robert Redford, Lawrence Olivier, Elliot Gould, Denholm Elliot, James Caan, Ryan O'Niel, Anthony Hopkins
  • The Duelists Ridley Scot's first film. 2 officers in Napolean's army fight an inconclusive duel. One is happy to shake hands and leave it at that, the other insists on resuming the duel later. Renewed war and rules against duelling in certain circumstances intervene but over the years they keep meeting again and resuming their duel without one winning conclusively. Very well shot, great cinematography
  • Brazil Terry Gilliam's fim set in a sort of 1984 ish world. Not exactly a comedy but certainly not too serious, despite the subject matter at time; e.g. Michael Palin playing a torturer who inadvertantly kills the main he is meant to interogating, becuse he was given the wrong medical notes and didn't know the about the man's heart condition.

I'll probably post more later

Never watched Brazil. Now I have to watch it. probably gonna do it righ now... :D

Brazil is Terry Gilliam's surreal, darkly satiric take on Orwell's themes from 1984.  Johnathan Pryce plays a bored office worker drone who gets caught up in a strange and violent series of events all due to a clerical error.  It has a great supporting cast, Robert DeNiro, Bob Hoskins, Michael Palin, Ian Holm.  The set design and direction is the usual for Gilliam, beautiful and weird and always slightly unnerving.  It's his best film by far.

The King of Comedy is, in my opinion, the best collaboration between Scorsese and DeNiro.  DeNiro plays Rupert Pupkin, a loser who dreams of being a stand up comedian and is obsessed with a late night talk show, and its host, played by Jerry Lewis, and goes to extreme lengths to get a spot on his show.  Pupkin is such a terrifying character, more so than Travis Bickle from Taxi Driver, and I think it's a damn shame that this seems to be one of the lesser known Scorsese films.

Sleuth (the 1972 version) stars pretty much just Laurence Olivier and Michael Caine and is a tense, cat and mouse game of oneupsmanship from start to finish.  Olivier is an upper class writer of detective novels, Caine is a working class hairdresser wanting to move up in the world.  Olivier knows that Caine is having an affair with his wife, and isn't that upset about it.  The next two hours are just Olivier and Caine acting their fucking asses off, and the story and the script is full of incredible twists and turns.

@Spinnaker1981 happy now :P 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Spinnaker1981 said:

please wirte something about the movies you post. just a very small teaser (thriller, action, sci-fi, horror, who is in it, who directed it, just something... thank guys.)

@LimeGreenLegend @Con

Done.

We should start a Movie Watching Club in the "Club" section. We can do like a "Pick a Movie" where we post three films and the crew decides which one I watch and I post a review afterwards. Whatcha think?

Edited by Con
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Spinnaker1981 said:

That is a very good idea @Con, I would be interested in that! 

Plus a reason to use the club option. We could have a tv show section. Let’s put a plan down before we start opening threads. I’ll help if you are interested. Always good to have two people in case one loses enthusiasm or IRL stuff comes up. 

• 8 months later...
1 hour ago, LimeGreenLegend said:

I’m in if you’ll have me.

Fantastic! So as you may have already seen, we have tremendous new abilities in the Entertainment section as we can now Feature trailers and bios of your fave films, singers, and actors. What is exciting is that now people can actually watch the trailer and then read spoiler-free reviews all in one place, thats f'n bad ass!! So now we will have the option to "Rate the Last Film You Watched" and if you are inspired, you can write a review using the new option (i'm calling it the 'ultra-review' for now, see my latest review for The Favourite to see what im talking about) and what I like about having the individual threads for the films is that discussions specific to the film reviewed can stay in one place. Anyways my point is that it looks like its a perfect time to take the Entertainment thread to another level. I like the idea of having the crew pick the movie for us to watch and review. But please share any thoughts you may have.

Maybe we could do like a film club where everycan can join in.  Pick a film for the month and open up a thread for discussion.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, LimeGreenLegend said:

Maybe we could do like a film club where everycan can join in.  Pick a film for the month and open up a thread for discussion.  

I would take part. It would give me and the wife something to do.

• Like 2

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

:default_sign0081: